Running Lean/Rich

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darkember

Running Lean/Rich

Post by darkember »

I believe my bike to be running a little rich as Playerone smelt fuel as he was following me the other weekend. I also find I need to start the bike with choke whether it be hot or cold. No mods have be done to the bike apart from a set of Scorpion cans & TPS set to 500 ohms.

Am I correct in this assumption and if so could someone point out the adjuster scews on the carbs & which way to turn them, in or out.

Many thanks Dark
lloydie

Re: Running Lean/Rich

Post by lloydie »

If you always need the choke to start it this suggests its lean .
Get down to a dyno to be sure .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mine ran a little rich last weekend because of the hot weather. But as Lloydie said if your havng to use the choke all the time even when warmed up this does suggest your a little lean. The smell could just be from your tank breather pipes if you had just filled up, and with the heat we have been having this would exuberate (I think that's the word :think: ) things

The fuel mixture screws are at the base of the carbs alongside the float bowl, very awkward to get to while on the bike. Anticlockwise richens the mixture and clockwise leans it off more.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

The choke only has to be used when cold starting & after having stood for say half an hr after a ride. It is then closed pretty promptly after moving off. I never have to keep the choke on when riding normally.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

& after having stood for say half an hr after a ride.
Shouldn't need it then really as the bike has been warmed up once. I find I only need to use the choke the first time the bike is started for the day. I would leave things for now and monitor it. See how things go once the heatwave has passed. The hot humid conditions take some air particles away which richens things up a tad. One of the down sides of carbs as the weather effects things. If we continue to have this weather for some weeks more then maybe think about tweaking things.

You may only need a tweak on the fuel mixture screws. Have you had the carbs apart at all and what's you jetting setup?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

no choke at all above 20' with mine i just give it a little throttle blip and all is well
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

darkember wrote:I believe my bike to be running a little rich as Playerone smelt fuel as he was following me the other weekend. I also find I need to start the bike with choke whether it be hot or cold. No mods have be done to the bike apart from a set of Scorpion cans & TPS set to 500 ohms.

Am I correct in this assumption and if so could someone point out the adjuster scews on the carbs & which way to turn them, in or out.

Many thanks Dark
check your air filter and fit new plugs before fkin about with it
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
darkember

Post by darkember »

benny hedges wrote:
darkember wrote:I believe my bike to be running a little rich as Playerone smelt fuel as he was following me the other weekend. I also find I need to start the bike with choke whether it be hot or cold. No mods have be done to the bike apart from a set of Scorpion cans & TPS set to 500 ohms.

Many thanks Dark
check your air filter and fit new plugs before fkin about with it
Plugs & air filter have only done about 1500 miles at the most.