Cycling Day

General Biker Banter
neil

Cycling Day

Post by neil »

Weather good today, was going to go out on Storm, but after watching Tour de France last night decided to get pushbike out. Only did 32 miles but it was hot. Luckily someone rang needing a job doing so rode there to fill up with water. Riding up Arras Hill on way to Beverley from Market Weighton had to stop to get my breath back. Definately need to do more cycling. East Yorkshire is considered by some to be flat but it wasn't on the route I took today.

Brantingham village pond

Road out of South Cave, good on Storm

View from Arras Hill, Drax, Ferrybridge power stations can just be seen in centre on horizon

Roads were busy today

Views were good, could see for miles

Max speed today (downhill) into South Cave

Not motorcycling I know but may be of interest to some
redvtr
grumpyfrog

Re: Cycling Day

Post by grumpyfrog »

Nice effort on the max speed. I brick myself doing that on the storm :D
Too bloody windy and hungover to get on either bike today :(
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

good stuff Neil & great pics - I'd have joined you if I was a few hundred miles north. Love the pic of a yellow field, almost like the tour :thumbup:

I went out Sat at 8am and by 10 the heat was right up there. Plus go my personal best twice descending speed yesterday - 45mph then 48mph :D

You on Strava? Thinking of doing maiden 100 this Saturday if you fancy popping a few hundred miles south
neil

Post by neil »

Not on Strava, What is it? We do a 100 mile ride every couple of years. It should have been on Saturday but has been put back to September. It's a good achievement completing it. Let us know how you do. Best advice I would say is drink before you think you need to and snack at regular intervals
redvtr
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

here you go mate http://www.strava.com/, Geo's on it for his off road pedaling training for the London - Brighton off road -just seen he did 52 yesterday, good effort Geo in the heat :clap:

Basically an app that tracks progress etc via GPS and heart rate monitors (this isn't on the free one), but the neat thing is you can specify a segment and anyone on Strava who cycles it gets ranked on the leaderboard, and you get rated on other riders' segments whenever you ride somewhere. plus they lob in challenges each month that everyone globally can compete in - e.g Ride the Tour - the distance of the tour etc. and for the paid versions you get to set goals, suffer scores etc etc. I just use the free one on an old Android phone
geodude

Post by geodude »

Nice one neil. I know what you mean. We did a 52 mile off-road ride yesterday and it was really tough because of the heat.

Strava is neat if you cycle/run much. http://app.strava.com/activities/67031914
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
geodude

Post by geodude »

Also in the paid version you can filter leader boards by weight or age which is quite motivating for me being heavier than I should be and old! lol :)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

its not storms but that don't matter at all. I just like to see the scenery.

im no cyclist but I have done the London to brighton and the London to southend for the BHF. on the brighton one I was with a mate who had a digital speedo/computer . its a brilliant ride because you climb a massive hill (ditchling beacon) and then its like you freewheel all the way to brighton (nearly). anyway we got up to 43mph on a tiny downhill lane about 4 abreast and nose to tail as far as you could see. it was truly scary, one or two big pileups and few people ambulanced off home..
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Lovely landscapes neil, what happened to the second one (South Cave) it looks a bit low contrast. Beautiful scenery. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
neil

Post by neil »

2nd picture wasn't very good but wanted to show the road layout. I think I must have accidently changed camera settings for that one
redvtr
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

I would of brought a scott over the specialized :lol:
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
neil

Post by neil »

Packed in work early today, too hot to work so went out cycling again. Just for Cybercarl re-did the 2nd photo as it was bad

This is a better picture of the South Cave road

Differant downhill today but couldn't get any faster. Need to find some steeper bigger hills
redvtr
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

good stuff again Neil - loving the scenery, wish we had some long climbs round. Maybe we should have Op Storm Le Tour Sans Engines somewhere each year - pitch up, good sleep, wake up, fuel, day cycling, conk out, get pissed, snore, go home :wink:
geodude

Post by geodude »

BigVeeGrin wrote:Maybe we should have Op Storm Le Tour Sans Engines somewhere each year - pitch up, good sleep, wake up, fuel, day cycling, conk out, get pissed, snore, go home :wink:
hmm......
geodude

Post by geodude »

Do you have a MTB?