goodbye storm

General Bike chat
adyf

goodbye storm

Post by adyf »

Thinking of selling my baby ,spending to much time chasing power/speed ,now I got caught speeding thinking about a Kawasaki 650 versys touring anyone had one? Any good?I will miss the storm a lot but it was getting silly,chasing blades etc ,bike was up to it my licence isn't.any thoughts guys?don't know what to do.ady f.
darkember

Re: goodbye storm

Post by darkember »

Had a Z750 good bike but you will find them very viby. BTW no matter what bike you get you will be opening the throttle so may as well have one that handles as well. You will miss the power. I would keep it & get some lessons in self discipline.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

BTW no matter what bike you get you will be opening the throttle so may as well have one that handles as well.
I agree. It's not the bike because you could just as easily break the speed limit on a 125 on some roads. :roll:

Your in the same boat as me, I'm having to keep my speed down with my recent points. I now make a concious effort to try, I say try as it's not easy :lol: to keep within the speed limits, well, not more than 10-15mph over. Actually it's quite fun to go out and ride exactly by the book. It's sort of a reminder that I can still ride by the book when I want to/need to. The biggest problem is when I get a knob head driver and get frustrated, I then make a move that is going to break speed limits or overtake where I shouldn't if following the law and the highway code. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:The biggest problem is when I get a knob head driver and get frustrated, I then make a move that is going to break speed limits or overtake where I shouldn't if following the law and the highway code. :roll:

I can give you the 33bhp hornet if you want, that will stop you doing it :lol:

Don't sell the storm :o
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lanny

Post by lanny »

Yep ! been hear myself and the biggest mistake was changing the bike, the throttle works both ways, its discipline you need, 10 - 15 over will get you points the same as 30 over so, keep the storm and choose your routes, times and needs, I ride within the law where obvious and take my thrills out in the wilds and at quieter times, I could still be caught but the risk is far less. :thumbup:
adyf

Post by adyf »

Thanks virt ,but I'd find a way of getting 100bhp out of that hornet if I could ,think its more about not having the kind of bike that makes you need to speed,my storm is only built to go quick its shocking in town and traffic ,throttle is more of an on/ off switch,thought may take it back to standard but why? Rather sell as is than destroy it like that,thanks for the input guys.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I can give you the 33bhp hornet if you want, that will stop you doing it
Oh no it wouldn't. I would just find myself playing chicken with the oncoming traffic as I wouldn't have quite enough power to do the overtake quick enough. For this reason I think smaller CC bikes can be more dangerous.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

its shocking in town and traffic ,throttle is more of an on/ off switch
Tell me about it. :lol: :lol: I sit at traffic lights in London and find myself falling asleep waiting for them to change. Then it's a quick blast to the next set and stop again.

Virt

Post by Virt »

adyf wrote:Thanks virt ,but I'd find a way of getting 100bhp out of that hornet if I could ,think its more about not having the kind of bike that makes you need to speed,my storm is only built to go quick its shocking in town and traffic ,throttle is more of an on/ off switch,thought may take it back to standard but why? Rather sell as is than destroy it like that,thanks for the input guys.
Unrestrict it then, it will make about 95 or so. Either way, I bitch about the restrictor at every opportunity I can. But they're really good for self control. Sure, I can hit 100mph with a long enough road and go round corners enough to scrape everything on the road. But because it takes longer it really forces you to think how you ride. Find some 33bhp restrictors for the storm (they do exist. I have some :lol:) if you're curious. Just my thoughts though, best of luck with whatever you choose to do :thumbup:
cybercarl wrote:
I can give you the 33bhp hornet if you want, that will stop you doing it
Oh no it wouldn't. I would just find myself playing chicken with the oncoming traffic as I wouldn't have quite enough power to do the overtake quick enough. For this reason I think smaller CC bikes can be more dangerous.

It's not a small cc bike, it's still a 600. It's the damned washers in the carbs :lol: It does make more power than the CB500S did :wink:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
adyf

Post by adyf »

Christ Carl were we delegated at birth? Your last post is exactly what I would do,playing chicken with traffic etc. Off the bike I'm layed back and friendly on it I'm an animal ,cars are my playthings ,my storm makes me ride like that ,my wife worries about me and she backs me 100% on changing the vtr which she hates,this is unheard of in our house ,emotional blackmail.
geodude

Post by geodude »

cybercarl wrote: For this reason I think smaller CC bikes can be more dangerous.(:-})
It's not the bike that over takes, it's the rider :P

ady, I know what you mean about the power and easiness of speeding. Did I tell you I have a clean licence? I rode 37k on my storm in two years, 20k on the beemer and 2k on the Tuono and those that have ridden with me know I don't hang about so how did I manage to keep it so clean? Ask me at the next meet in Wales :thumbup:

As for another bike, I would have to say the F650GS Twin (800cc). The only problem is, even 2nd hand you are looking at £4k

The kawasakis aren't bad though mate and much cheaper but only 650cc which I think you might struggle with. The GS was fine for 90% of the time but trying to keep up with Storms on the straights, it had no chance. Sounds just like what you are looking for.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

I see now, your being bullied by the other half. But on a serious not what I said about having less power and going for overtakes and stuff can be more dangerous. As you see the cars approaching or the bend and wondering if you going to quite make it or have to slam on the anchors or make evasive manoeuvres. I used to be terrible especially when I was despatch riding around town and suburbs. For some reason I am a lot more controlled on the storm and have a bit of respect for it. I'm more cautious to where I make manoeuvres and the power is there to do it. The problem is that speed can be picked up so quick which is where the speeding fines come in :eek2 Like I was saying about short dash from the lights, the amount of times I've looked in my mirrors and think Christ those cars haven't even moved yet and I'm halfway down the road approaching the next set of lights.

And George your absolutely right it's not the bike it's the rider and having self control. Something I'm having to teach myself.

adyf

Post by adyf »

I think you are right boys ,maybe get some training to calm things down ,wow geo clean licence how the fcuk!must be all that off roading you keep doing,bye the way how is she?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

maybe get some training to calm things down
Me and you both. :lol: I keep meaning to join an IAM club but never get around to it. I've even bought the manuals and CD to do all the theory.

geodude

Post by geodude »

adyf wrote:I think you are right boys ,maybe get some training to calm things down ,wow geo clean licence how the fcuk!must be all that off roading you keep doing,bye the way how is she?
lol true. Less police off road :mrgreen:

Shes ok. Still need to get a new screen and replace the front crash bungs. Should have it sorted before Wales. If not I'll ride it as is.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories