Problems

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
robby_firestorm

Problems

Post by robby_firestorm »

Hi guys

Bought some cans off Mac and fitted them. They sound great but now the bike at bottom end rides horrible. If I am moving slowly the bikes backfiring through the airbox (feels like that)

Any ideas is it the jetting? I'm running standard air filter and jets.

Thanks
2000 Firestorm
ging500

Re: Problems

Post by ging500 »

Before fitting the aftermarket cans did it have standard cans on??
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have you put standard headers pipes back on, also did you get the broken exhaust stud fixed. IIRC these are standard cans you have fitted and you had a 2 into 1 Viper beforehand. First thing to do is make sure that you don't have any leaks in the exhaust system anywhere, so check all around the joins and clamps, the slightest of leaks will cause backfires. There's also a good chance that the carbs where set up for the 2 into 1 system you had on before, so you may have to make a few changes to your settings.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
robby_firestorm

Hi

When I got the bike it was all standard. When trying to fit the 2-1 I snapped the stud which is still snapped but I have made a bracket that holds it solid in place untill I get a new cyclinder head.

The bike ran fine with standard cans and now has standard headers but with viper end cans?

I will check for leaks so if there is a leak on a link pipe it could cause back fire?

Hope this answers.
2000 Firestorm
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I will check for leaks so if there is a leak on a link pipe it could cause back fire?
If there's an air leak in the exhaust or intake system them your bike will run like an out of tune trumpet.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Any intake or exhaust leaks will upset the mixture and the way things run. Also what condition is your airfilter in, when where the carbs last balanced. These are all things that contribute to the smooth running of things and should be checked before making changes to anything else.

Saying that though, your more than likely running a little lean which will cause a bit of spitting through the carbs. You should consider shimming the needles or maybe turning you fuel mixture screws a 1/4 turn to richen things up a tad.

robby_firestorm

Is that 1/4 of a turn in or out?

Anyone know someone who is good at setting up carbs on here adjusting jets ect?
2000 Firestorm
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Out to go richer, in to go leaner. Tuning carbs is not always a one trick pony without a Dyno machine and can take some trial and error. But as mentioned earlier start with the simple things as this all contributes to it.

Have a read through the Carb Tuning Guide in my signature and Hawks carb set up will give you a good baseline.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=28922

If you haven't got the front vacuum take off set up, then you want to get this done as well so Carb syncing can be done. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18430

If you get stuck I may be able to help, but you need to get your other issues sorted first. Ie carb Vacuum take off's and your cylinder head. Your carbs will need adjusting again once the cylinder head has been replaced.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You need to fit 48s pilot jets .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

He;s more than likely got them installed already Lloyd. The majority of Storms over here have unless it's one of the very early models.

ging500

Post by ging500 »

As everyone has mentioned, I would start with the cheapest and work from there. Check for leaks and sync carbs. If still not running right put on dunk, they will tell you whether running rich or lean!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Two things that will make it pop and bang .
1. Exhaust leak
2. Running very lean on the pilot circuit .
And if its running crap around 4k and below and at cruse it will be number 2 .
robby_firestorm

Cheers guys will check over weekend probably clean the filter also.

Should I check pilot size? Bike is a 2000 W Reg?
2000 Firestorm
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It should have 48's in there, but like anything carb related if you have not had them apart before then you don't really know what's in there until you open them up.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes .