Lloydie's track vtr (miss piggy)

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
lloydie

Re: Lloydie's track vtr (miss piggy)

Post by lloydie »

Jscobey wrote:
lloydie wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Squeal like piggy. :lol:

No point in putting a VFR tank on a track bike. You want smaller not more. Unless you thinking of that for Kemit.

(:-})
a vfr 400 tank . 8)

Who's storm is this? With ohlins forks ??? She's beautiful!
http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/me ... vtr-19493/
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

ahhhh yes! i have seen that thread before. what a VTR. ive been itching for a set of ohlins forks. i see them come up for the RC every so often. a bit too rich for my blood. of course i say that now....

miss piggy sounds like shes coming along nicley Lloydie! :thumbup:
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Dragged the engine out for a strip down ,just going to do the heads for now . Reseat the valves , change the valve seals and give the ports a clean up ,
I hope to have the heads done in the next two weeks .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Exciting!!!!

Only use genuine Honda stem seals as there is a slight difference by IIRC a couple thou between the inlets and exhaust. You wont get this with pattern parts. Also, and as you should know already, keep all the parts within their corresponding place, ie don't mix them up. The spring seats will most likely stick from stiction to the bottom of the cylinder head so some force may be required to move these off the guides. You can do the valve clearances with the heads detached from the block, but be aware once you put everything back together and tighten the cam chain tensioner down etc they will not be the same so will need checking again. Oh and try not to get any swarf, valve grinding paste or any other nasty foreign particles inside the valve guides.

What are your plans for the porting? Make sure you take plenty of pics. I look forward to seeing some progress :plainsmile It's a shame you can't have the engine dynoed before and after. Now that would be interesting.

==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thanks for the reminder :thumbup:
I have a full set of honda valves seals that I got off Seb last year :-)
I'm just going to clean up the ports by removing the castings and give them a little polish nothing fancy as I'll save that for when roger fit larger valves and finishes the porting in a year or two .
After I've done all the grinding and stuff I'll get the heads hydro sonic cleaned to remove and crap left in the oil ways .
This will be the first time I've done a head rebuild and looking forward to it , I just need to take me time with it as I don't want to over do it .

Yes before and after Dyno be nice but a little here and there I hope to get about 115 when all said and done ,
I know it's not a lot but I'll be happy with that .
If my budget hadn't been taken away the heads would be with roger now for a stg1 tune .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If you follow along the plug hole into the head juts above where the PAIR oilway/dowel would be in later models. See the recessed Hex head bolt. I'm not sure what this is for but I have a feeling it's to gain access to the oilways when flushing through.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Before Image
6 hours later
One done 7 to go :-(
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Very nice :)

6 hours? Well i suppose you need something to fill the time between working on Virts bike :D

Do you think it'll gain much?
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Do you think it'll gain much?
Crikey now there's a debate if ever there was one.

Some even question whether polishing is a negative effect and just for show, the bling factor, even the exhaust ports, as smooth encourages more carbon build up to stick to the walls. With inlets you want a slightly rough surface as it not only encourages flow (the golf ball effect) and helps with turbulence and keeping the fuel particles in suspension. On the other hand going larger decreases the velocity of the flow which can cause problems so it's a fine balance.

The general consensus on porting is that it will increase top end slightly along with the right combination of other items in particular cams. You'll find that the pro's will even tailor the porting according to the cam grind. Obviously they have the right tools like a flowbench. On it's own there will be no performance increase and in fact it may even make things worse, especially when it comes to low speed idle/cruise due to less velocity if going with bigger ports. It's all about gaining on top but loosing out down low.

Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade Lloyd, It does look nice and it's in the right direction for a track bike/top end. :thumbup:

Last edited by VTRDark on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lloydie

Lloydie's track vtr (miss piggy)

Post by lloydie »

No it's top end I'm after with the yoshi stg1 cams and moriwaki stg1 exhaust
Mori stacks open airbox ,
Hi comp pistons .
So it's not just the porting in doing .
I would do it to a road bike as I don't see the point kermit is fast enough for the road
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh I realise that mate. Your going for it in a big way :) Move that torque curve along and further up :wink:

Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

:thumbup: that's going to be a nice motor!
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I hope so :-) .
Looking into the exhaust port you can see why tony toyed with oval exhaust port . It don't look clean or easy to flow gases .i have noticed the exhaust ports as standard were a lot smoother than the inlet Ports as standard
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Oh forgot to update this :-(
The heads are done :-)
I need to build a bench next as I'm fed up of sitting on the floor !
Over the next few months I want to get the rest of the engine stripped and rebuilt money permitting ! .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

keep up the good work mate, i'm sure it'll be worth it......... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!