Leather dilema

General Bike chat
mattbridges

Leather dilema

Post by mattbridges »

Hi all,

After an aborted attempt the other day I finally got my sorry ar$e down to the bike shop to check out some new leathers. Problem is I'm torn between some Hein Gericke 2 piece or an AlpineStars 2 piece. Last suit I had was the AlpineStars and I really liked it. Just wondering if anyone has any views on their Hein Gericke. How has it worn? etc etc.

Can't remember the actual product name for the Hein Gerickes but the AlpineStars I'm looking at are the SX1 2 piece and the GPU 2 piece.

The AlpineStars were a nice snug fit and felt very comfy; the Hein Gericke were also super snug but not as contoured so more comfy on longer trips and off the bike.

Any comments on either would be greatly appriciated.

Matt
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've not got the full two piece but I have got a pair of Hein Gericke Tribal trousers.
Had them over 4 years now and to be honest they are virtually as good as new. (I clean and Nixwax them once a year)
The only thing thats gone wrong is the waist band fastener broke (its only pop-studded in) but I took it along to my local store and they put a new one on for me FOC in about 2 mins.

Overall I like the trousers and H.G kit comes out top or recommended in all the Ride tests. In fact my only gripe is that the lining is a nylony material which can be a bit sticky when its very hot. Other than that I can't fault them.
Especially not for the price

Ben
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Ben,

Yeah the price is incredible isn't it; and I liked the quality and feel of the Hein stuff. The two piece I was looking at has a loop and hook fastener round the waist that I wasn't too keen on. It's quite substantial and looks like it would do a mischief if you landed on it.

The Hein stuff felt more substantial than the alpinestars stuff, heavier and I especially liked the seams; most of all though was the price! The alpinestars 2 piece was about 700.00 for the suit alone, a similarly targeted Hein's 2 piece (with boots and gloves) was under 500.00

Cheers

Matt
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Blimey, must be fooking expensive boots and gloves!!

The 2 piece is only £299 normally and my local shop has got loads on sale at the moment making them even cheaper.
And while you're in there, get their PSX-2 boots too.
Bought at the same time and they're brilliant. Really comfortable, really waterproof and even have a decent toe slider

But if you're in the £500 bracket you might be worth looking at made-to-measure.
Crowtree's are £475 for a basic suit or two piece
http://www.crowtreeleathers.co.uk
kevg

Post by kevg »

Gericke is known for thier quality (every other bike had someone in the tribal suit last year) but just recently i think they are working to a tighter budget and the stuff they sell seems to be of poorer quality, thiner leather and less padding. Less well made in general..........like i said just my opinion.
cheerz

kev
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Kaz,

That's kindof what I thought; I remembered a friend of mine went for a slide in his Hein's last year and he was quite happy with the protection; but the newer ones (although still blukier than the alpines') didn't have the same feel of quality.

Cheers

Matt
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

:lol: :lol: he called you kaz :lol: :lol: Time to get a hair cut kev
Rich.

mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Doh! That will teach me for reading two threads at once :oops:
kevg

Post by kevg »

happens to the best of us mate, :lol:
not planning a hair cut for quite a few years yet though.
cheerz

kev
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

You have my most sincere appologies! :oops:
Iwantafirestorm

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Sorry to hijack the thread and I'm gonna sound really stupid to you guys now and probably gonna get loads of grief - but I don't care 'cause by the end of it I'll know the answer I'm looking for!

1) I don't own any leathers. Should I? (was looking at some the other day)

2) Do you wear your "normal" clothes underneath? (It probably sounds ridiculous to you guys but I have no idea :oops:

Cheers

Rich
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Ha ha ha
Isn't the newbie silly :P

Only kidding mate, serious answers to follow
1) Almost certainly YES.
Leather (or Kevlar) is the best thing to be wearing if you end up on your butt sliding down the road. Jeans are just about passable round town (I should know, I've been on the deck 4 times in my younger years and got the holey jeans to prove it) At no more than 20 mph they at least offer you more protection than the burbury shell suits the local spotty yoofs wear on their sh1t box scotters.
If you're mainly commuting then the textile jackets & trousers can be nearly as good, with kevlar & body armour on the impact areas with the benefit of being waterproof/warm and cool as required

2) Under leathers? No. Just my lucky biker pants and a polo neck
Under cordura etc stuff? Depends. It is designed so that you can have your work suit on underneath and just strip off like superman when you get to work (no phone box required :wink: ) but equally you can wear pretty much anything you want under it (but stear clear of womens underwear coz it rides up and would be VERY embarrasing if you have to go to casualty following an off 8) )

Hope this helps

Ben
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Stormin Ben wrote: (but stear clear of womens underwear coz it rides up and would be VERY embarrasing if you have to go to casualty following an off 8) )

Hope this helps

Ben
Are you speaking from experience?
Rich.

Iwantafirestorm

Stormin Ben wrote:Ha ha ha
Isn't the newbie silly :P
I was feeling bad all day saturday, then when I read this on Sunday morning I laughed out load - cheers Stormin Ben :lol:

I already have a textile jacket + trousers (with armour), but me thinks I'll get some leather when I've saved up a bit

Cheers all.

PS: Kaz. How come your fairing's off - Didn't have an accident did you?
Iwantafirestorm

What bad luck eh? (I won't go out if it's windy)

You'll have to treat her with kid-gloves when it comes back and it's all back together.

Or instead of waiting, you could ride it street-fighter style with no fairing :twisted:

Rich