alfa romeos?

General Biker Banter
callam_nffc

alfa romeos?

Post by callam_nffc »

Has anyone actually owned one on here, particularly a 147?

Ive been looking at one as a cheap motor and ive always liked the look of them, only problem is everyone says theyre sh1t.

Id rather have an opinion off someone whos owned one rather than someone whos just watched top gear and is therefore an instant expert lol, I don't want to buy a motor thats gonna cost a fortune every other month just to keep it running
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
storminateacup

Re: alfa romeos?

Post by storminateacup »

I have had three in fact I still have two. The best and most reliable was a1984 Spider. I currently own a 2001 156 2.5 V6 Sportwagon. It's been quite reliable but very expensive to repair as it seems as if Alfa build everything on to the engine and then fit it to the body so you can't get at anything. I've also got a 2001 3.0V6 Spider lovely car but nothing but trouble (going to sell it soon) they are not very economical but very quick and the best drivers cars. Never had a 147 but reliability issues seem to follow Alfa's you're better off with a Ford.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

I used to own an alfa GTV bloody excellent to drive. It was like driving a go cart actually very quick and very responsive.

Parts were quite expensive and they had a tendency to drop cambelts if not changed by the service schedule. As was said previously not the most fuel efficient car (a bit like the storm actually).

I have been toying with the idea of buying another one as a toy to have some fun in the winter with.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I've owned a GTV 3.0l V6, ever since I sold it (on my 19th birthday) I've regretted it :(

By far the best car I've driven, it was so well balanced & really did feel like a pleasure to go anywhere in it.

As far as reliability goes, it never went wrong once! But running costs however are pretty steep, the consumables I.e exhausts, tyres etc were costly. Also servicing is more expensive than average due to Alfa's desire to hide everything behind covers and the general layouts of the components are at best - Italian. :)

If you can do basic servicing yourself & can source parts at cost, I'd say go for it & don't look back!

Things to look out for IMO when buying are the usual things like panel gaps being consistent throughout the bodywork, HPI etc. But pay extra attention to the condition of all the rubber components under the bonnet & under the car, replacing brittle bits will be pricey.

Don't worry too much about paint not matching perfectly on the plastic/metal bodywork, it's common for the plastic bits to loose the colour with Alfa's.

I'd go for a 147 cloverleaf, if I hadn't sold my GTV for a van! :(
Jamie :wave:
darkember

Post by darkember »

All Alfa's are well balance had an 86 Alfa Sud damn rustbucket but it could piss all over MK1 golfs & 205 gti's in the handling department. Then owned a 156 Tspark on a T plate, by then the rust issues had been sorted & to be honest it drove beautifully and never gave me any problems over the 4 years we owned it.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

ive had an "alfasud" wow it was great to drive and looked cool but it was so unreliable, and bloody rusty.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darkember

Post by darkember »

bigtwinthing wrote:ive had an "alfasud" wow it was great to drive and looked cool but it was so unreliable, and bloody rusty.
Definitely showing our age there :lol: :lol: The Suds died by the early 90's due to rust. Not seen one on the roads since
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Am I correct in thinking the newer ones 147/156/brera share engines with fiat? Punto etc
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
jeff998

Post by jeff998 »

only had a 156 2.5 v6 brilliant car ENZ6349 wish you were still here died and gone to rust heaven
it was worth it just for the noise but it snapped the cambelt
lets see 18 out of the 24v bent cost me the best part of a grand to rebuild it and that was doing it myself
with trade discount then there was the uppper wishbones and the lowers they groan and bang a lot over bumps
but on a good day and the right road and when your in the mood that car used to "talk to me " :D loved to rev lol
would have another in a heartbeat
storminateacup

Post by storminateacup »

jeff998 wrote:only had a 156 2.5 v6 brilliant car ENZ6349 wish you were still here died and gone to rust heaven
it was worth it just for the noise but it snapped the cambelt
lets see 18 out of the 24v bent cost me the best part of a grand to rebuild it and that was doing it myself
with trade discount then there was the uppper wishbones and the lowers they groan and bang a lot over bumps
but on a good day and the right road and when your in the mood that car used to "talk to me " :D loved to rev lol
would have another in a heartbeat
I've got one sitting sorned on my drive if you want it. New clutch starter motor cambelt water pump radiator wishbone rear calipers pads and handbrake cables. No dents nearly new BF Goodrich winter tyres unmarked leather. Cheap.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.