Ride Magazine

General Bike chat
Iwantafirestorm

Ride Magazine

Post by Iwantafirestorm »

Anyone bought it this month for the yearly biker's poll?

Firestorm didn't do too well (did any of you guys vote in it?)

The '97-'01 model came 31st out of 38 "all rounders"
The '02-present model came 19th out of 38 "all rounders"

The '97-'01 model came 170th out of 213 overall
The '02-present model came 103rd out of 213 overall

I really don't think these figures reflect the true picture (especially when you look at what bikes are above the Firestorm(s)). I think people tend to vote if they're unhappy with something (in this case their 'Storm), but all the happy ones out there maybe didn't bother so the results are not entirely accurate.

I mean look at last year - The GS500 came last!!!!! (no comments please :oops: )

Any comments?

:roll:
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

I didnt see the poll, but i'm willing to guess that the top 20 bikes were all "Balls Out" sports bikes, (including the entire Ducatti range)

It's not a realistic poll, (they never are)

i never read too much into these things, the storm is more than capable of out running/out riding other "sports" bikes. It's the rider that makes it, not the bike........

Ie, i have a freind's with 916's, Blades etc, etc,, ok, they're all lovelly bikes, with buckets of power over the storm etc, but they cant ride them well, and i regulary "whip ass" on ride outs.................
Iwantafirestorm

I thought the yearly poll in Ride magazine would trigger a good conversation betwwen quite a few of us - obviously I was wrong. One response in how many days?

I might as well feckin' delete this thread

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:lol:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Yeah, I've just e-mailed Ride magazine re the November issue on two counts.
One, their Firstorm popped and spat back because it has "old fashioned" carburettors and only managed 28 mpg. Methinks this was one that needed balancing and setting up, especially as they managed to get only 143 mph top end. My own figures on both are rather more appealing!

They then said that it just couldn't keep up with the other bikes on the B road test. baldrocks. Learn how to ride a V twin first I think. I can keep up with and turn just as quickly as a CBR 600RR on some very nadgery Welsh roads thank you.

Secondly, but nothing to do specifically with the 'Storm, but they publish the A47 from King's Lynn to Norwich as a "great road". If you know the road, you'll know how crap it is. Maybe that's a Ride testers idea of a challenging bit of tarmac mind you.
Iwantafirestorm

Yep, I think most magazine test-riders only love inline-4s. They have it in for any v-twin before they've even got off their premises, that's why they can't be bothered to know-how-to-ride them.

Personally i don't know why they are like this, because, from my experience of inline-4s, twins are LOADS better!

8)
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Seems like a duff Storm to me as the figures were crap.
Stratman-the readers voted for the roads not the testers. I couldn`t believe that the A47 was on there, might as well put the A1M on for good measure.
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tony.wilde1

kaz

Post by tony.wilde1 »

wet fish?hmm..i think a lot of them would take that as a compliment!! :lol:
Iwantafirestorm

VTR1000KAZ wrote:I can't believe any tests i've ever read on the storm. Most journalists really slate the bike
I can agree with you on that, They slate anything that isn't an inline-4. I mean most journalists always slate the GS500!!!!! (and that's a brill bike) 8)

PS: Everyone who agrees with the journalists on this one, please keep quiet. :wink:
Bink

Post by Bink »

... I think they are just being spitefull because the love the inline-4's but the V2's win the races ... :biggrin
Orange Robbie

Post by Orange Robbie »

Have a look at bike reviews on the MCN website, I did try to paste the link, but it came up with a technical problem.

I think it's a pretty fair review, along with the one that was printed in a recent issue of Bike magazine.
Slow in, slow out. Ohh err missus, now with added G-Force carbon fibre race cans. Sounds like a Spitfire.
bluesman

a bit of sweets

Post by bluesman »

Well, my fellow Stormers, I felt for you (I never read Ride, and Performance Bike have a "soft spot" for Firestorm according to what they said in review of anniversary Storm), so just could not resist to list links to nice reviews on Storm - just to boost morale :wink:
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/index.php? ... &Itemid=67

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/revi ... ew5_99.htm

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/10march0 ... erhawk.htm

Enjoy! :wink:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Iwantafirestorm

Re: a bit of sweets

bluesman wrote:Well, my fellow Stormers
Does that not include me then? :cry:

Couple of points to note from those reviews:

1) Isn't it funny how some reports say it's best to keep the 'Storm above 7000rpm and some (like the 3rd review) say it's happiest below 7000rpm! I agree with the latter.

2) I disagree with the 1st review's comments that the bike is fairly uncomfortable + focused riding position. I think it is quite a decent position.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

IwannaStorm said
Does that not include me then?
:D Not yet :D
Big difference between "IwannaStorm" & "Igottastorm"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Iwantafirestorm

Pete.L wrote:IwannaStorm said
Does that not include me then?
:D Not yet :D
Big difference between "IwannaStorm" & "Igottastorm"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In that case, I'm gonna be considered a traitor after today, because I test rode a Triumph Sprint ST :D , as I was thinking "maybe one of these instead of a 'Storm?"

Gotta say, absolutely cracking engine (scary! 8O :twisted: ), So smooth and very torquey (smoother and torquier than a 'Storm - que the abuse! :twisted: ) but felt a bit heavy(ish) and big(ish) compared to the'Storm. So 'Storm is still number 1 on my "bike" shopping list
Iwantafirestorm

Don't worry - the 'Storm is still #1. The dealer has a new one in the showroom I was looking at after my Triumph test ride. It's the deep glossy blue one that I want. Brand new for £5850 which is the cheapest I've seen one. Plus, the dealer is really good and deserves the custom (which I always think is very important when spending that kind of money - you don't want to spend your money at a dealer that's a) cheap but crap, b) cheap & good but has useless mechanics, or c) good dealer with good mechanics but expensive prices). This dealer is best of all worlds!

Aarrgghh!! Wish I had some money :evil:

PS: Que the abuse - last time I mentioned a blue 'Storm, I got loads of comments. I think I'm the only one that thinks they look great.