New VTR Owner

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
chrisgreer23

New VTR Owner

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Greetings all,

So I've been in the US Air Force for just over 10 years. I have an English wife and two awesome children. I have the military to partially blame for me getting my VTR. I was recently given an assignment to South Korea with a follow on assignment to RAF Mildenhall, UK (Suffolk). When my family moves to England, we can only take on car. So my Miata had to go. The plan was to sell the Miata and take my 09 Ninja 6550R. Only problem is that bike needs work to get on the road. I wouldn't even consider trying to have it MOT inspected. They would just take a glance at it and fail it. No working headlights, tail lights, turn signals. The previous owner was making it a track bike and had no use for the lights. I set out to fix the lights and managed to get the horn working lol.

The VTR is a 1998 1000F Firestorm (Superhawk). The frame has 58k miles and the engine has roughly 15k. The whole bike was sprayed all black with bed liner. I wasn't keen on the idea of bed liner but it isn't too bad. It has a two into one exhaust system with a Two Brothers shorty exhaust. The stock headlight was replaced with a HID headlight that has a motorized high and low beam. I like the light output and the fact that it has the high and low beam, but I wish it had a projector to focus the light.

I'm on the hunt for the bigger 2002+ petrol tank, an aftermarket belly fairing and a suitable projector for the HID.

I really look forward to riding in England again. Do you guys have regular rides around the South East of England? Do you use Meetup.com?

If a job is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.
Jazzscot

Re: New VTR Owner

Post by Jazzscot »

Welcome to the forum mate, glad you found us.
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
macdee

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Before I can get my projector retrofit underway, could I just paint the headlight and leave a hole for the light to go through? Would that stop the overspill of the light blinding oncoming motorists?
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Welcome to the club!! 8)
lloydie

New VTR Owner

Post by lloydie »

Welcome .
Firstly that exhaust needs changed as it might touch the road when lent over !
Nice stealth paint :-)
Head light http://bit.ly/19m7WQp

We do have some ride out planned for next year so have a look in the ride out section :-)
Most of us wimps are starting to store the bikes away now as winter is nearly upon us .
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

As mentioned the summer season is over and soon the season of salty roads will be upon us. I'm only 50 miles away in the next county but you'll find a few storm owners in Suffolk.

Not sure if your bike will have to conform to UK MOT standards as your headlight could fall foul of the law. Possibly if the wiring hasn't been hacked too much then a standard headlight could be fitted . As for the exhaust unless it's been carefully set up the system probably has decreased the performance. Has it been on dyno?

Hope you like your beer warm and wet! and enjoy riding through the Thetford chase.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

I'm hoping the headlight will pass the MOT. I'm not so sure about my rotors as they appear to be the original ones. I ran my fingers along them and there are deep groves. I'm not fussed about the exhaust possibly decreasing performance. I don't believe there are any roads in England where I could unleash its full power anyways. Not legally at least. I suppose I would miss out on the track, but don't see that in my future.
playerone

Post by playerone »

Welcome to the club, and what's this word "legally" that you speak of? :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Matte black? :D

Nice bike. Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

hi and welcome mate nice looking bike in mat black i think it would look even better with the frame in gloss black :thumbup:
Regards ian
Watty

Post by Watty »

Hello and welcome :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

welcome aboard . :thumbup:

im also in Suffolk but as wicky said we are coming to the end of the summer . you could always pop up to hunstanton on a sunday afternoon. lots of bikes there on a nice day I have heard

:beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.