The "Moocher" says hello.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Moocher

The "Moocher" says hello.

Post by Moocher »

Me: old bloke who passed bike test on a borrowed Ariel Arrow in 1965 (two days earlier on my old BSA Bantam I had "T" boned an uninsured SMIDSY.
My bikes ( this is to share my history so you'll know just how far back I am in the knowledge department) :-
1961 350 Royal Enfield sold for £30 to finance next project, Hell do you know how much it would be worth now?
1954 500 BSA B33 Built up from a box of bits slow but in those days so was everything else. Gave it away when wife and child came along.
Reliant Supervan 111 say no more needs must etc.
Ex Police 'Noddy Bike' 200cc Velocette. So quiet that only by blip'ing the throttle could you tell the engine was running.
M125 Puch - Brilliant commuter that took me all over the country.
80cc Suzuki - that was found rotting in a friends garden and rebuilt
90 cc Jawa trail bike - rotary valve two stroke wheelie machine
new 350 Jawa 40000 miles and then was completely worn out.
two 70cc Honda step through's London commuter requirements
Off bikes 1985 to 1990
XBR 500 Honda nice little single
New NTV 650 not as good as I had hoped and rattled ( needed a louder can)
VX800 Suzuki nice engine but shy of corners. sold it due to frozen shoulder problems which was misdiagnosed as arthritis
Off bikes from 1996 to 2003
600 Yamaha Diversion (vibrated - horrid thing worse bike I ever had)
BT 1100 Bulldog - Could be ridden all day but top heavy and a bit slow
500 TMAX Scooter easy handling twist and go that showed up a couple of 848 Ducati's on local B roads
and another not as nice as the first one so traded in for
2009 1250 Suzuki Bandit - went fast enough for me but my old legs were not strong enough to hold it up with confidence.
2010 800 Suzuki Intruder low seat and nice handling but not enough poke
2011 1500 Suzuki Intruder* mid range grunt and ok up to indicated 80 then the air blast gets a bit much
2009 Suzuki 650 Vstrom - got it as a rat bike to save the Intruder from winter muck
March 2012 750 GSR ( lasted 6 hours before another SMIDSY took me out rather than hit a Pheasant)
July 2012 750 GSR ( Soon as I was able to ride again - well I had to didn't I) After 3000 miles I realised it as just too small for me.
2008 1000 Suzuki VStrom
2013 650 Vstrom*
I think there is 'V' engine pattern here
1997 1000 Firestorm.*
* bikes now in the garage

At the local petrol station, about a year ago, I saw a really nice old bike on a "P" plate and just had to go over to the rider and say how nice his bike looked. I had never heard of the Firestorm. Then a week ago I saw an add in MCN for a Firestorm in my area and thought that well this is probably my last chance in life to ride something different and out of my comfort zone. I went to see it and yes it was the same bike I had seen earlier and with only 10700 miles on the clock I just could not resist.
I have no handbook for the bike so I will have to ask you all for help with even the basic stuff.
Best regards to all
"Moocher"
lloydie

Re: The "Moocher" says hello.

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

I wouldn't tell everyone, but I had a brand new Jawa 350 as well. I didn't manage no where near that many miles though. I came off mine and didn't like it after that, so I sold it. At the time I didn't realise the Barum tyres and wet roads did not work well together :thumbdown:

People moan that the Firestorm is not that good on fuel, but as you'll know they don't realise what MPG mean until they've owned a two stroke :lol:

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

More bikes than years in my life!! :crazy: :crazy: :lol:

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

Virt. yes I really have forgotten more than many will ever know and that's the problem I have forgotten it :eh:

Sirch 345. Dunlop TT100s were fitted as soon as I could afford it. After which it could be flung about quite nicely.
As for petrol although I am not wealthy I didn't buy the Firestorm to save cash on fuel. ( it's to keep the heart going!!)
Horsepower makes for thirsty horses especially when they drink through carbs. :wink:
simo

Post by simo »

Hi and welcome to the Forum. A few bikes there I've owned also inc. two Enfield Bullets, one a Trials works replica with ally barrel. Only one Jawa. I think you 'll like the VTR :thumbup:
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Moocher wrote:Virt. yes I really have forgotten more than many will ever know and that's the problem I have forgotten it :eh:

Sirch 345. Dunlop TT100s were fitted as soon as I could afford it. After which it could be flung about quite nicely.
As for petrol although I am not wealthy I didn't buy the Firestorm to save cash on fuel. ( it's to keep the heart going!!)
Horsepower makes for thirsty horses especially when they drink through carbs. :wink:
Ah yeah TT100 tyres :)
After learning that lesson the hard way, my next proper bike was a Honda CB400/4. I made sure (on the advice of my brother who worked in a motorcycle shop) to get TT100's fitted in with the deal :D

Chris.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

hi and welcome mate :)
Regards ian
macdee

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome in
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings - where abouts in NE Essex are you? Storm owners, Jamie and I are Colchester based and I can pop round to check your storm over and drink tea and eat biccies…..
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

two 70cc Honda step through's London commuter requirements
Oh I don't know, my Storm does quite well. :lol:

Welcome to the forum, nice selection of bikes there.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Wicky wrote:Greetings - where abouts in NE Essex are you? Storm owners, Jamie and I are Colchester based and I can pop round to check your storm over and drink tea and eat biccies…..

Thanks Wicky, you can check the bike over while I make sure the biccies are all in order... :)

Hello and Welcome "moocher"

Nice to read your history of motorcycling, I'm sure you have picked up a few good stories along the way with a list of bikes like that :thumbup:

Jamie

Sent from my GT-19505 using Telekinesis
Jamie :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Hello and welcome :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

Wicky - you are welcome to pop over. I will PM you my address. Can't do it yet as being a noob, messages have not yet been activated.