Exhaust studs

Moderator: VTRDark

leevtr

Exhaust studs

Post by leevtr »

Snapped one of the buggers on the front today. Rears were fine, the nuts came off leaving the stud in the head. I'm after a couple. To be honest, if someone could point me in the right direction of new ones ( pref stainless ) that would be most appreciated.

Only went to take the buggers off to clean & coppaslip them up, bit of prevention better than cure. Had no other reason to touch them, now the whole bloody system's off. Suppose I'll have to clean it now !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
lloydie

Re: Exhaust studs

Post by lloydie »

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Nice one Lloydie, item bought !!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is this considered a mod. :lol: :lol: Sorry Lee couldn't resist. Basterd studs, I know how you feel. What are you plans for getting the snapped stud out?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Would anyone here have a time-set kit with 8mm inserts I could borrow once I drill my stud out. I prefer them to helicoils but they are darn pricey as you have to buy full kits not just the size you want?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I just had to look that one up as I have never heard of them. Your not wrong about expensive.

First link I found. :lol:
http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metric- ... B001JK44LG

It's the drilling out of the old stud which is the real problem. If drilled out properly (square on and right size) it can then just be re tapped I would have thought.

darkember

Post by darkember »

cybercarl wrote:I just had to look that one up as I have never heard of them. Your not wrong about expensive.

First link I found. :lol:
http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metric- ... B001JK44LG

It's the drilling out of the old stud which is the real problem. If drilled out properly (square on and right size) it can then just be re tapped I would have thought.

Agreed on the drilling bit, so I have acquired a set of stainless steel cobalt drill bits & a center drill. Incidentally is that the correct thread size for the stud on tha amazon link??
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Agreed on the drilling bit, so I have acquired a set of stainless steel cobalt drill bits & a center drill.
That''s the route I first took. :eek2 I did not have any luck with a good electric hand drill working on the floor at that angle. I wished I just took the head off and had a good bench drill.

See http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p312102
Incidentally is that the correct thread size for the stud on tha amazon link??
Don't know mate just searched your quote
time-set kit with 8mm inserts
and that came up. I presume your referring to the thread pitch. Best to measure the new studs. They seem to vary from seller to seller on eBay. In fact I would buy genuine Honda studs next time. Your maximum hole should be slightly smaller allowing for tapping. This is presuming that you can drill through the old stud :eek2 and square on. No easy task with the head on the bike and lying on the floor at that angle with a hand drill. :( :thumbdown:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

darkember wrote:Would anyone here have inserts I could borrow once I drill my stud out. I prefer them to coils but they are darn pricey as you have to buy just the size you want?
You have the same problem as Lloydie!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I ended up using a helicoil alternative....Clarke from machine mart, £17.99 for the kit for m8 with 25 inserts. I did manage to drill the stud but for the life of me couldnt remove the last millimetre of thread from the head. Gave up trying and bought the kit, took me 20 minutes and done. Obviously would rather it was as new, but these things happen, and the repair seems to be a good option.
darkember

Post by darkember »

leevtr wrote:I ended up using a helicoil alternative....Clarke from machine mart, £17.99 for the kit for m8 with 25 inserts. I did manage to drill the stud but for the life of me couldnt remove the last millimetre of thread from the head. Gave up trying and bought the kit, took me 20 minutes and done. Obviously would rather it was as new, but these things happen, and the repair seems to be a good option.
Did you drill with the head in situe or removed??
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

darkember wrote:
leevtr wrote:I ended up using a helicoil alternative....Clarke from machine mart, £17.99 for the kit for m8 with 25 inserts. I did manage to drill the stud but for the life of me couldnt remove the last millimetre of thread from the head. Gave up trying and bought the kit, took me 20 minutes and done. Obviously would rather it was as new, but these things happen, and the repair seems to be a good option.
Did you drill with the head in situe or removed??

PM sent !!