Hi from Northwich!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
caferacerdan

Hi from Northwich!

Post by caferacerdan »

Hi Folks!
Bought myself a VTR1000F mid-October last year from JnS Oakmere. slight damage from a lowside (a scuff on fairing and engine casing)

Other than that the bike rides spot on with only 18k on the clock! Here she is as I got her...

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/1266/atsu.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/1536/5cga.jpg

Spent a bit of money today and ordered the first of her custom parts to go on. Ordered some baffles as straight through scorpions on a commute to Uni in the morning it's getting a few complaints! Also ordered myself some 2 finger CNC levers along with Xenon side, dipped and high beam lights! Future will be a bit more red such as red oil cap, bar ends and possibly ditching the stock mirrors off the fairing for bar end mirrors too etc...

Been thinking about wide bars but as a student can't afford a £210 conversion! so if anyone has any cheap recommendations of how to do this such as running the clip ons upside down (like the stunters) Just not fully enjoying the leverage disadvantage after a supermoto and a XT600Z Tenere :/

Many thanks and I look forward to your comments!
Dan
Wicky

Re: Hi from Northwich!

Post by Wicky »

Code: Select all

[img]http://imageshack.com/a/img838/1266/atsu.jpg[/img]

Greetings looks nice and tidy apart from the scrapes.

Before you start blinging it up with anodised bits and bobs I recommend you replace the stock CCTs with manual tensioners, and also if it hasn't had it replaced already look at upgrading the R/R. With both those mods done that will ensure reliability in the two main weak points of the VTR and help you avoid expensive repair bills if either or both cook off.

To cover up the ding on the clutch cover search for carbonadi carbon-fibre clutch covers (from Germany) which along with looking smart will afford you extra protection on the vulnerable engine covers.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
caferacerdan

Post by caferacerdan »

Thanks for the reply :)

The reg/rec was already done by previous owner so I don't have to worry about that in theory!

The CCT's I will be getting done at some point soon just waiting for a nice bit of student loan to come through...as the bike gets me to Uni I assume it's acceptable to spend it on ;)

Im trying not to go to overboard on anodised! just trying to get a nice blend of black and red :)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome .
Levers - make sure you have a gap between the lever and the plunger if not file the lever down till you have a rizzla gap if you don't you will warp the brake discs .

HIDS - wouldn't bother tbh you will be blinding all other road users and a head on collision is a risk .
Better and safer to fit a relay kit to the standard light so the bulb gets the full 12v .

When changing any thing on these just be carful as it's addictive some of us can't stop and it's gotten that bad in some it's recognised as OCMD (obsessive compulsive modifying disorder ) .

Good luck and enjoy
Watty

Post by Watty »

Hello and welcome. Enjoy the storm :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Welcome along Dan :)

Your storm looks great, personally I'd steer clear of coloured anodised bits and bobs as it already looks really classy in black with the silver rims & frame. :thumbup:
Last edited by Jamoi on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie :wave:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Dan :thumbup: It sounds like you got yourself a fairly low mileage bike there, with a little bit of work you should have yourself a good bike.

I agree with Wicky the CCT's (cam chain tensioners) and rectifier are the two weak points that need addressing if have not already been done.

Chris.
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

I have mirrorextenders for sale, for standard mirrors. Sets sold on forum, ebay & facebook group. All down to individual taste. Bar end mirrors ok if no restrictions when parking.
Fit fazer angled clamps to standard top yolk, then a set of flat/riser bars. Trimming of the fairing depends on type of bars you fit.
Enjoy the bike, stay safe.
oorwullie43

Post by oorwullie43 »

Another cool, fast black one in the North West!! :D Welcome Aboard!
caferacerdan

Post by caferacerdan »

Hi all,
Thanks for the warm welcome! reg/rec has been done by previous owner! CCT's will be going in soon(ish) certainly by summer time!

Im avoiding coloured anodised apart from a dark red oil lid to match the Firestorm writing. ordered black levers and made sure not to get HIDs just stock 55w xenon lights :) seeing as i do have trouble seeing on a bike at night (not sure if anyone else has this problem)

bsabloke are those off the fzs600 where they angle back towards tank? and will changing to wide bars on stock yoke+fzs risers mean i would need extended brake and clutch lines or will stock ones reach?

I also need to order the relay to slow down the LED signals as they flash too fast (kits on ebay for £11.99)
many thanks,
Dan :)
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Noooooo, dont put baffles in!!! :lol: , wake them uuuuuuppppppp!!!!!

I have the scorpion cans with no baffles in mate, sounds good but like you said, LOUD!! I tend not to use mine early hours as I get moaned at as well
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

welcome to the mad house.
A common change is to fit VFR bars, fork dia is the same, so just straight swap. Fairing may still be trimmed (someone can comment on this or not,I still have a set in the garage just never got round to fitting them as fitting the Blade front onto mine at the moment.... once you start changing, you just don't stop..)
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

Fzs angled clamps :thumbup: flat bars will fit & not foul on the forks. Depending on what bars you fit to how much fairing trimming required & whether or not longer brake lines required. Vfr vars require fairing trim, although i have read on here of people fitting without needing to trim.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Hi from suffolk clean looking bike yer got there mate.
The noise problem easy solved run it down to Suffolk and swap your scorpions for my standard cans :wink:.
Mark.
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
simo

Post by simo »

Hi , welcome to the Forum.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.