Wanted: standard swingarm

Moderator: VTRDark

8541Hawk

Re: Wanted: standard swingarm

Post by 8541Hawk »

gl_s_r wrote:Some really nice parts on that bike when you look..anyways, Hawk, looking at that bike would you suggest the brace still works despite the fact it looks like it isn't anchored to anything else and appears to be just a loop, as all the blade braces etc tend to anchor somewhere at the front near the shock/pipe for what I always thought was rigidity. Would they work just as well without this anchor point then?
Yes Bill had a well set up bike and it also had a Stg 1 engine in it but back to your question.

I guess I really should have said under-slung braces can work.
What I mean is they must be designed properly and like most "modifications" there are trade offs.

What I see when looking at the JMC arm is yes at first it looks like it would not be effective but then looking a bit closer two things stand out right away.

First is the steeper angle of the brace as compared to a 'blade arm. This would give the brace on the JMC arm better leverage to resist twisting, lessening the need for the front anchor.

Second look at the size of the brace on the JMC arm. Where a 'blade brace is fairly lite this arm uses a large rectangular section brace (and who knows what wall thickness they use but I would bet it is pretty thick or is an engineered section with internal ribs for rigidity)

This is where I see the "trade offs"
If you want to eliminate the front anchor point(s), which for clearance of the shock linkage and everything else going on under the bike might make things easier, you can set it up this way.

Though of course there is a but here..... Which is the "trade off" which is you pay a weight penalty. In order to get the same resistance to twisting that you would get with a 'blade brace you must use much heavier tubing and a larger overall brace.

This is why I said they can work. Is it the best option? From a straight performance point of view, I would say no.
A standard 'blade brace will be lighter and easier to fit.

Though if you really like the under-slung look and are not going for ultimate performance and don't mind paying a weight penalty for the aesthetics you desire, then go for it as it will work fine.
I will say that personally I would figure out a way to anchor the front if I was building an under-slung brace.

Personally I took the easy way and just fit an early 'blade brace to my bike. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

gl_s_r wrote:
ebenviljoen wrote:i saw one on the bay a while ago with a swinger like that.

thought it looked interesting
It didn't sell... there are a few people wanting to know if he would break it down and sell it as parts but heard nothing...

I think this a better idea with an underslung brace!!
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Hi I've got a black standard swinging arm £25 + pp if your interested ?
RIDE TO ENJOY
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks Geoff, i'll keep it in mind :thumbup:

It's good to read you guys thoughts on the underslung brace.

I think I will try building an under brace swinger, tbh I think it will be pretty simple, except the tight tolerances on the forward anchor point, but it doesn't look impossible.

It might be a while though, need to save up for another storm swinger and another blade swinger...
Jamie :wave:
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Told you in the first post I have one you can have.. You can have it for your experiments as it'll be good to see what you do with it, don't want nothing for it from you, just got to get it to you at some point.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You could stiffen an underslung one by infilling the side panels, just on the outside if you want or fully boxing it in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

gl_s_r wrote:Told you in the first post I have one you can have.. You can have it for your experiments as it'll be good to see what you do with it, don't want nothing for it from you, just got to get it to you at some point.
Ahh sorry mate, my phone is playing up and doesn't always load the posts up! I've just been and looked.

Well that's very kind of you :thumbup: I'll PM you...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

tony.mon wrote:You could stiffen an underslung one by infilling the side panels, just on the outside if you want or fully boxing it in.
Don't say too much more Tony! :wink: :thumbup: