Hi-Vis discussion

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Hi-Vis discussion

Post by Jamoi »

http://www.visordown.com/features/discu ... 24473.html

There's a good mix of personalities and preferences on the forum, so what's your opinion?
Jamie :wave:
Virt

Re: Hi-Vis discussion

Post by Virt »

You can have a 60ft high dildo on the back of your bike, if they aren't looking for you they won't see you. That much is certain...

However, I do wear a high-vis if I'm riding at night when it's dark. Otherwise I don't bother, I can't see if being any help in the day
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I wear one most of the time, can't see any valid argument against it tbh.
Same reason I fitted a blue side light. If the buggers look twice because something caught their attention, got to be a good thing.
Last edited by leevtr on Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
magnum

Post by magnum »

Can't miss me!!
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
Virt

Post by Virt »

leevtr wrote:I wear one most of the time, can see any valid argument against it tbh.
Same reason I fitted a blue side light. If the buggers look twice because something caught their attention, got to be a good thing.
I agree with the blue sidelight, been pulled by a copper for it but I told him my reasons and he let me go scott free. It does look kinda tacky, sure. But a bright blue light is the most noticeable thing you can stick on your bike, really
Watty

Post by Watty »

Good idea IMO! I don't wear it on the bike, maybe because I wear it every day at work, if that can be an excuse :? . Not sure it should be law though as where do they stop? Amber beacons on our helmets :lol: . What's your opinion Jamie? You didn't commit yourself! And Virt! The Doris wants to know where these 60 foot dildos are sold :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Anything that helps is worth it
Virt

Post by Virt »

Watty wrote:And Virt! The Doris wants to know where these 60 foot dildos are sold :lol:
I get them from Jamie :thumbup:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Watty wrote:Good idea IMO! I don't wear it on the bike, maybe because I wear it every day at work, if that can be an excuse :? . Not sure it should be law though as where do they stop? Amber beacons on our helmets :lol: . What's your opinion Jamie? You didn't commit yourself! And Virt! The Doris wants to know where these 60 foot dildos are sold :lol:
No I agree, I don't think it should be law either, let people use their common sense and make up their own mind.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

They were about to bring in the hi-vis law in France last year, then abandoned it, so I can't see it coming in here. If people don't look in their mirrors they won't see zip anyway. That said, since I fitted LED DRL's to my TDM (which appear to twinkle blue) I have noticed people pulling over sooner as clearly they see them in their mirror.

If you can't see and hear my loud, bright yellow Storm coming though, with lights on, then a bit of dayglo isn't going to help at all.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Stratman wrote:They were about to bring in the hi-vis law in France last year, then abandoned it, so I can't see it coming in here. If people don't look in their mirrors they won't see zip anyway. That said, since I fitted LED DRL's to my TDM (which appear to twinkle blue) I have noticed people pulling over sooner as clearly they see them in their mirror.

If you can't see and hear my loud, bright yellow Storm coming though, with lights on, then a bit of dayglo isn't going to help at all.
I think thats the argument against it for some, but it aint gonna make you less visible either. There are always gonna be those fcuking halfwits who just shouldn't be on the road, and we have to account for those people in our approach to riding. But, if someone is looking in their mirrors, or at least making an effort to check the way is clear at a junction, they are definately gonna see you a bit easier if you are wearing something Hi vis, no one can argue against that.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

I agree..if they can't hear me with 116db exhausts and see the bright xeon headlight a hi-viz jacket or waistcoat won't make any difference..
chric

Post by chric »

always wear one always will be safe be seen :thumbup:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
Watty

Post by Watty »

chric wrote:always wear one always will be safe be seen :thumbup:
Wise man :D , as Lee says it's not going to make anyone less visible 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

If its raining or dark I would always wear one, especially on the motorway as bikes tend to disappear among the rear lights.
However during the day I agree, if they cant see a teal bike with its headlamp on and hear its loud pipes, there is little hope!