Best battery.

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

Best battery.

Post by bigtwinthing »

Hi anybody recommend a good battery for the storm ( standard size please i aint got time for mods etc) 2001 model

Ta Paul ( dry on saturday yahoo)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Re: Best battery.

Post by VTRDark »

Oh don't :lol: :lol:

Loads of folk have fitted the Motobatt as replacements, but Yuasa ones have always been good for over years they have been around for. Even though the Motobatt ones give you some extra terminals, I'm not a fan of them. They are only brass and with a very fine thread and odd mounting angle. This puts me off of them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:Oh don't :lol: :lol:

Loads of folk have fitted the Motobatt as replacements, but Yuasa ones have always been good for over years they have been around for. Even though the Motobatt ones give you some extra terminals, I'm not a fan of them. They are only brass and with a very fine thread and odd mounting angle. This puts me off of them.

I have used Yuasa, and yes they have been good. Are these a Gel batt though? and are Gel batts better? we use 250amp/hr one at work to save maintenance but there crap and don't last long.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They have acid with them on eBay but are maintenance free once filled so not a case of topping up with distilled water as in the old days.

I think the most important thing about new batteries and lifespan is their initial charge. The first charge should be a slow one, so I'm always dubious about batteries that come pre-charged, well so they say. One never knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf for and draining away.

I don't know about the gel filled ones. For me Acid is tried, tested and proven and been around for donkeys years.

==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:They have acid with them on eBay but are maintenance free once filled so not a case of topping up with distilled water as in the old days.

I think the most important thing about new batteries and lifespan is their initial charge. The first charge should be a slow one, so I'm always dubious about batteries that come pre-charged, well so they say. One never knows how long they have been sitting on the shelf for and draining away.

I don't know about the gel filled ones. For me Acid is tried, tested and proven and been around for donkeys years.

the last one i bought had the acid in little twist off pots, you had to fill it and then charge it. That lasted 5 yrs on the Fazer 1000 and did 40,000 miles before i sold it. Its still on the bike i think.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Yuasa, no contest :D
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

motobatt batteries are fine, yes you have to be careful with the terminals, but you do get extra terminals for say a trickle charger, you don't have to upgrade to the bigger battery, this will allow you more space, I would leave my bike for 3 or 4 weeks and when I returned to it, it started every time with the motobatt... :thumbup:
I also like varta batteries
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Tenesmus

Post by Tenesmus »

Fitted an Odyssey to the Vmax, it turned over faster and the bike would sit in the garage for six months or more and it would start first time. Lasted 10 years before it died and that included short trips and months of doing nothing. Fitted another shortly before I chopped it in for the VTR and then got one for the VTR.

Pain to fit in the Honda though - the terminals are in a different place and the pos wire isn't long enough so I had to get another (thanks Halfords for the generic one) but it was a bit of a bodge. Still recommended though.
History: Honda C70, CG125, CX500, CB750F, VF750F, Suzuki GSX750, red Honda VTR1000F, Yamaha XV1100, Vmax, yellow VTR1000F.
2005 Rover 75 2.5 auto Connoisseur Tourer in British Racing Green
2016 Vauxhall Viva "Father Jack"