THE OLD CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ninja636109

THE OLD CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS..

Post by ninja636109 »

HI im looking to upgrade my ccts to either manual or standard auto ccts.. im wondering if i get manual ones will the cam chain only be at correct tension at one part of the rev range ??? and can anyone provide standard ccts modded to become manual ? is this a reliable low cost solution?
MacV2

Re: THE OLD CAM CHAIN TENSIONERS..

Post by MacV2 »

ninja636109 wrote:HI im looking to upgrade my ccts to either manual or standard auto ccts.. im wondering if i get manual ones will the cam chain only be at correct tension at one part of the rev range ??? and can anyone provide standard ccts modded to become manual ? is this a reliable low cost solution?
No Idea on the rev range question...

Bazza does converted CCT's at a good price I'll PM him for you as you cant PM till you reach 50 posts, but you can receive them...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

This should help answer your CCT quesions

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

and choose your manual CCT from here > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
darkember

Post by darkember »

As Mac said never heard that question on the CCT issue. Put it this way if you are worried about that then do the bazza mod. Just don't put standard Honda ones on. Chain wear or not its Russian roulette whether they implode or not.
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

My Kriegers are on their way for less than $100 AU.
I'm not sure on the UK £ conversion but I call that pretty cheap insurance.
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Watty

Post by Watty »

2wheelsagain wrote:My Kriegers are on their way for less than $100 AU.
I'm not sure on the UK £ conversion but I call that pretty cheap insurance.
Around £80 delivered from VTRdh ( member on here ) highly recommended :thumbup: But obviously double the price of Bazza's :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ninja636109 wrote:HI im looking to upgrade my ccts to either manual or standard auto ccts.. im wondering if i get manual ones will the cam chain only be at correct tension at one part of the rev range ??? and can anyone provide standard ccts modded to become manual ? is this a reliable low cost solution?
Manual CCT's are a compromise on the standard CCT's as the standard CCt's do self adjust as the rev's rise and fall, around 3,000rpm they change tension. This is not a huge change in cam chain tension, so many consider manual CCT's to be worth the compromise for piece of mind and no chance of a spring letting go. The only thing that can happen is a manual CCT can come undone if not done up tight enough, using some thread-loc is an added bonus against that happening.

If you want a CCT to operate as Mr Honda intended, but also want fail safe protection over any damage happening to the valves should a spring fail, you could carry out the Stopper Mod instead. The choice is yours.
Stopper Mod link:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416

Chris.
Max

Post by Max »

I've had my storm just over ten years now, I changed my CCT's for manual ones over 9 years ago (APE's), I have done 30K+ miles since I changed them. I guess they have needed to be tweeked maybe twice in that time.
If I bought another storm, it would be the second mod I would do after an R1 reg/rec.
How often CCT's fail has been debated on here for a long time, I'm not sure how often they fail and trash your engine but I have seen storms with CCT's gone so i know it happens yet my cousin who's had his storm longer than me still has the same CCT's from new so who knows (yes he has been told).
It all comes down to if you are the one , for the sake of a few quid you could save yourself a lot of grief and money.
Max

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back Max :thumbup: I hope you're keeping okay,

Chris.
Max

Post by Max »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome back Max :thumbup: I hope you're keeping okay,

Chris.
Hi Chris

I pop in quite often for a nosey, to make sure I'm keeping up with my modifications :D
Its good the forum is still as strong as ever :thumbup:
Max

Bleh

Post by Bleh »

I've heard pro's and cons for both manual and auto. Personally, I've stuck with the auto ones and have recently changed them w/out a stopper mod (let the lecturing begin...)!

I've heard of manual ones being forced out of position (most likely due to incorrect installation), not necessarily in a VTR, my cousins mate dropped all his valves in a blade, needless to say, it is cheaper to replace the whole engine in that scenario than fork out for repair. But I've also heard of a VTR dropping in one cylinder on auto's... One of my lecturers is an ex-VTR owner and it happened to him.

My logic is all to do with the spring. The tensioner is designed with a spring rate to enable the cam chain to have the correct tension throughout the rev range but ironically, it's the spring that fails if failure occurs and (a majority of) people will argue black and blue about manuals being better but for me, it comes to personal preference.

Personally, I want to ensure the correct tension is on the chain at all times. I mean, let's suppose you are out for a good, heavy throttle ride with your manuals done up to perfection - they wont slacken off nor will they automatically tension, so, you've been riding your VTR harder than your misses all day, constantly building up heat in the engine and putting the chain under heavy load... at what point does your chain stretch? Because it will at some point, there's no doubt about that and considering the margin between safety and potential failure is so marginal, what if you develop that tiny bit of slack? When whacking the throttle back, you suddenly tension the chain, take away the slack but increase the sudden force being applied to the guide and therefor your manual CCT's and that force transfers to the push rod of the tensioner and therefor the thread plus the threads holding it in place!

I know, I know... many of you have used them since the dinosaur ages without any problems and you find very few people admitting failure of their manuals (most likely due to incompetence) but I would like to think that my chain is at optimal tension at all times and for that reason, I opt to stay with the genuine auto's.
As a form of reassurance, I have recently replaced mine despite the old ones looking in top condition and responding perfectly fine but when it comes to riding, you've got to do what you feel is best for your own peace of mind and feeling of safety when you're out and about.
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
Max

Post by Max »

Of course that works on the premise that the auto CCT's do actually hold the chain at the correct tension rather than are there because owners couldn't be bothered to adjust the chain tension years ago. But it all comes down to personal choice in the end.
Max

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome back Max :thumbup: I hope you're keeping okay,
I thought I recognised the avatar. It's good to see some of the older members coming back. Now where's Pete :lol:

So Bleh, what's your view on doing the stopper mod?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

cybercarl wrote:
So Bleh, what's your view on doing the stopper mod?

If you don't want your trousers to fall down, wear a belt. If you really don't want them to fall down, put braces on too! :cool2

Only reason I didn't do it when I changed mine was because I 'forgot'. :oops:

Why the Japanese didn't think to design it with such a feature is some what surprising, they're usually so good at stuff like this!
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Why the Japanese didn't think to design it with such a feature is some what surprising, they're usually so good at stuff like this!
Indeed!! If the Japs where not such honourable people I would say think about how much money they make on parts.

==============================Enter the Darkside