Storm Hunting - Rust

General Biker Banter
StewartR

Storm Hunting - Rust

Post by StewartR »

Hi,

been looking at a Storm a bit away from me and the sellers been decent enough to send some pretty honest pictures as I really don't want to travel unless I'm pretty sure. The only thing I can really pick it up on is a bit of rust, on an oil line forward of the gear shaft and on the subframe to the rear of the shock. It's a 51 plate with 26k on it. Is this all pretty normal?

Oh, and it seems to have some yellow paint on it too - that's good right? :clap:
mattycoops43

Re: Storm Hunting - Rust

Post by mattycoops43 »

Pretty normal and easy to sort if you want. I am going to get my subframe powdercoated.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

StewartR wrote:Hi,

been looking at a Storm a bit away from me and the sellers been decent enough to send some pretty honest pictures as I really don't want to travel unless I'm pretty sure. The only thing I can really pick it up on is a bit of rust, on an oil line forward of the gear shaft and on the subframe to the rear of the shock. It's a 51 plate with 26k on it. Is this all pretty normal?

Oh, and it seems to have some yellow paint on it too - that's good right? :clap:
That one looks a bit neglected mate, in my opinion. I've had 3 and none ended up in that state, even with 45,000 miles on.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

probably been ridden thru winter and not cleaned afterwards, nothing you can't bring back to its former glory.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

agentpineapple wrote:probably been ridden thru winter and not cleaned afterwards, nothing you can't bring back to its former glory.... :thumbup:

True, but i always think if they neglected the cleaning, what else got left ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It''s because it's Yellow. :lol: :lol:

Is that the only pics you got. Easy to sort out if you want to go stripping things down, treating, painting etc. Lee is also right. I would hold on for another but if it going really cheap and the engine is a good one, low mileage, no rattles and has a service history, then it may be worth taking a closer look. Don't forget things always look better than they actually are in pics so I dread to think what else there is. There's always plenty of Storms about and if you wait long enough you will get a really good one at the right price and colour of choice.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

ooohhh thats seen a few winters ! it will all clean up tho
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i agree, it looks like it has been used in winter and parked outside, wait for a pampered one to turn up that got dry stored
AMcQ
Watty

Post by Watty »

Agree with others mate, unless its mega cheap, leave it where it is :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
chric

Post by chric »

Wait for a better one as suggested and later model if you can.
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

remember you get what you pay for, i've bought a storm for £730 and guess what, it was a dog!!!!
save up your money and find a well looked after bike with the essential mods already taken care of. age and mileage are not as important as condition and a stack full of receipts and service history, and yes a garaged bike is always best... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Cheers for the advice folks - I'd be hard pressed to call it cheap so have walked politely away.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

ooohhh thats seen a few winters
Or it's been to the Seaside.
have walked politely away.
I think that's a good move. Could you imagine how many bolts will snap or round off when removing things to clean it all up or service :eek2 What's the swingarm bearings like :eek2

mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Some of you are reet scaredy tarts!

Mine lives outside, and is ridden in all weathers. The subframe looks like that and I have done loads to it and never had a single bolt snap or round off, including the bolt to get access to turning the crank and the timing marks.

Honda build quality see? You must all be ham fisted gorilas!

:beer:
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

Where do you think mine lives. In the Yard out in the elements all year around, and it's ridden all year around including Snow when I can! It's just looked after as best I can. Seems there's always something needing doing even of that's juts re-greasing the swingarm pivots. Personally I think my bike is tatty, but I don't have rust like that. Yeh my break mounting bolts and stuff look rusty and everytime they are removed they get a quick wire brushing. My subframe don't look rusty like that though. It has one little spot where rust is trying to creep through. That bike has been sitting a while and not been maintained or washed by the looks of it.