which boots ??

General Bike chat
budd

which boots ??

Post by budd »

I don't know whether it's just me or it happens when you get older but the older I get the bigger my feet have become, over the last couple of years I'vew definitely gone up a size, so much so that my previously comfortable sidi boots are now uncomfortably tight.

MC boots with all the armour, rigid plastics and stiff leather are never going to be the last word in comfort at the best of times but mine are now at a point where they are unpleasent to wear, even painful to walk in so I need a new pair of boots.

Over the years ago I had quite a few pairs of boots Styl Martin, Gaerne, Alpinestar , Frank Thomas all of which did the job OK, currently I’m wearing Sidi which apart from now being to small are also very good, I'm not sure if there's not much to choose between boots really but I'd welcome any thoughts or recommendations or thoughts, I’m thinking probably another pr of Sidi but there’s a few ebay offerings that seem to tick the right boxes at roughly half the price of premium brands but are they any good? I welcome any thoughts.
As with everything these days manufactures throw a lot of ‘tech’ at products is there any value to this or are sturdy boots still just sturdy boots?
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
MacV2

Re: which boots ??

Post by MacV2 »

budd wrote:I don't know whether it's just me or it happens when you get older but the older I get the bigger my feet have become, over the last couple of years I'vew definitely gone up a size, so much so that my previously comfortable sidi boots are now uncomfortably tight.

MC boots with all the armour, rigid plastics and stiff leather are never going to be the last word in comfort at the best of times but mine are now at a point where they are unpleasent to wear, even painful to walk in so I need a new pair of boots.

Over the years ago I had quite a few pairs of boots Styl Martin, Gaerne, Alpinestar , Frank Thomas all of which did the job OK, currently I’m wearing Sidi which apart from now being to small are also very good, I'm not sure if there's not much to choose between boots really but I'd welcome any thoughts or recommendations or thoughts, I’m thinking probably another pr of Sidi but there’s a few ebay offerings that seem to tick the right boxes at roughly half the price of premium brands but are they any good? I welcome any thoughts.
As with everything these days manufactures throw a lot of ‘tech’ at products is there any value to this or are sturdy boots still just sturdy boots?
Boot's is something you really need to try on, best thing is to try a few different pairs in a few different shops to try the different makers.

Sizes do vary between makes as well, so one makes size 8 will be different to another makers...

As for which make...personal choice init... As much as I would like a nice pair of high end Alpinstars or similar, for the amount of use the get v's the cost...Nah I'll go for comfort & ease of use any day & not get all snobby with the brands.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

i agree with the feet thing. i,m convinced mine have got bigger in the last couple years.

also a lot of shoe sizings are messd up these days.

most of my adult life i been a size 7 i am now size 8.

nike trainers 9 and a half ???.

oh yeah and my left foot is about a quarter size bigger than the right one??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Daytona's mate, bloody expensive though. I don't have them but my mate swears by them :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
ging500

Post by ging500 »

I have had a pair of sidi EVO. Rains for the last three years and the sole are still intact !!. Would never consider another brand!! But as everyone has said try the boots on, as I know sidis there is differences in sizes from one style to another!! Its very minimal and is down to design!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm more concerned as to why your feet are still growing. I thought everything apart from ears shrink and shrivel up as one gets older. :lol:

Most important thing for me when choosing boots is ankle protection to protect old injury and waterproofness.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
budd

Post by budd »

thanks for the input guys and I know boots (like helmets etc) are a very personal things and the trying before buying is the only way to ensure you get a fit and feel your happy with, but I just felt getting some extra feedback / opinions etc couldn't do any arm and allows people to recommend a boot that had particularly impressed.

Re Daytona it’s true they make excellent boots (despite the price) and the 2 part race boots, the ones with the rigid hinged inner and fancy leather outer offer probably the best protection available but have you tried to walk in some ? They are not the most comfortable things and are best reserved for racing (which is after all what they are intended for) the other boots in the range Daytona are undoubtedly good boots but whether they are any better than others is probably a moot point.

I think I’ll pay a visit to J&S, Hein Gerike et al and try some on, I'm favoring some more Sidis but they may have something on oiffer nice and cheap to does the job.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They are not the most comfortable things and are best reserved for racing
Your not wrong. The amount if times I have sung "These boots wernt made for walking". I wear Sidi Gortex boots. My next boots I shall buy 1/2 size bigger as I find the toe end is a bit narrow and crushes toes.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scouse645

Post by scouse645 »

I have found the feet enlargement problem also, i have just got a pair of frank thomas short boots and i needed size ten, was always nines before :? a few other parts are getting larger these days to, namely the belly, not sure why :)
budd

Post by budd »

scouse645 wrote:I have found the feet enlargement problem also, i have just got a pair of frank thomas short boots and i needed size ten, was always nines before :? a few other parts are getting larger these days to, namely the belly, not sure why :)
I get why the belly is growing (excess beer and pies) the feet though are a mystery, it’s only recently I’ve noticed it, I don’t tend to buy new shoes/ trainers that often I’ve a couple of favourites I wear to destruction than buy new. I usually buy good quality footwear so a pair of trainers /gore-tex boots etc can last a quite while so I’m not really sure when the old feet started growing and at first I thought it was just a sizing tolerance between different brands.

But over the last few years my feet have definitely gone up 1 size, which is literally now a pain when wearing my MC boots. So this afternoon I’ve been in J&S trying on boots, I’m looking for a high degree of protection mainly a resistance to twisting in the ankle. My current Sidi race boots are great in this respect and I believe saved my ankle from serious injury last year at the Manx Festival when my toe dug into the road and turn my foot in my boot (toe slider had worn away and the rubber sole picked up on the shell grip at the Creg) I ended up with a sprain rather than a broken ankle. But good as the Sidi are they aren’t comfortable, Sidi boots traditionally have never been plush putting protection ahead of comport which isn’t a bad philosophy and I suppose I don’t mind feeling the hard armour if I know it’s there to save my feet and legs.

So I’m in J&S amongst a morass of boots, racing, touring, water proof, MX boots pretty much every style of boot from lots and MC manufactures with prices from £50 to over £300

So how to whittle it down? Well I know from experience that wet weather and touring boots don’t offer the level of protection I’m looking for and I’ve already got MX boots so I can eliminate these and concentrate on sports / race style boots.
By twisting, flexing the boot it’s possible to gauge the resistance to twisting at the ankle and get a rough feel for strength, I quickly dismissed all the Sidi boots as to uncomfortable (OK I’m getting old) all the Alpinestar boots (the cheaper ones were to flexible in the ankle and the expensive one apart from been expensive were a bit of a faff to put on with the inner sock type thing and pull cords inside) Frank Thomas to flimsy, plus a few more I just didn’t like the look of. The elimination process left me with 2 candidates, the RST tractech EVO @ £119 and Dainese torque race @ £189.

I was very impressed by the RST nice tight fit without being uncomfortable very sturdy with lots of well thought out and functional looking protection while still been plush and very comfortable, then there were the Dainese boots which posed a problem as they didn’t have my size in stock so I couldn’t try them on, but on inspection they seem a very sturdy and well thought out piece of kit and really high quality you’d expect from Dainese. They are different from the other boots in that the zip is on the back and they have rigid internal protection that sort of sandwiches the ankle joint allowing the up and down movement of your foot while resisting twisting, but as I said I couldn’t try any on so until I do I’ll reserve judgement as to whether they are worth the extra money over the RSTs.

Next to J&S (Leeds) is another biker clothes shop so I had a look in there to, they stocked all ther usual brands, Sidi, Astar, RST been the same as J&S but they also stocked Held, who’s Donnington race boot was very impressive (albeit expensive @£250) the Held boot as a rigid inner protection system that kind of clamps to the ankle with a tensioned wire system, it sounds complicated and it is, it’s tricky to get on but once on and tension the feeling of support and security around the ankle is very reassuring and comfortable too.
Worth £250? Probably not (at least to me) but definitely an impressive boot.

So Dainese or RST, well I’d like to try a Dainese before I make a decision although since I’ve been home I’ve had a look on the net and found the RST boot for £95 delivered which is mighty tempting, I’d still like to try the Dainese boot just out of interest but they would have to be very very good to be worth nearly an £100 premium over the RST.

I’ve a couple of weeks before I tax the bike so I’ll keeping looking in the meantime, but at the moment RST is in pole position.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

scouse645 wrote:I have found the feet enlargement problem also, i have just got a pair of frank thomas short boots and i needed size ten, was always nines before :? a few other parts are getting larger these days to, namely the belly, not sure why :)
FEET ENLARGEMENT WITH AGE.

As we get older our body shape tends to change.

Body's have a tendency to spread out & shoulders start to droop affecting posture.

The end result to this front heavy & mostly larger body is compensated for by the feet spreading out to maintain the balance point & help spread the load.

This spreading is mainly lateral, which in itself is the weight factor & likely to affect the shoe comfort & sizing but also a noticeable elongation of the foot can occur.

This ageing driven body spread isn't just confined to the feet but other appendages may show signs of growth, hands, ear lobes & noses.
chipolata's tend to be the opposite in the fact that they shrink with age as the become less used, ask Kev about his shrinking willy for conformation.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Moocher

Post by Moocher »

I bought a pair of Daytona boots in 2003. They cost £175. That's about £17.50 per year. They are very comfortable on and off the bike but probably not very crash protective.
I still wear them and they are still warm and waterproof.
I bought some replacement Daytona boots two years ago and found I could not do them up as the foot part was made (like most biking gear) for a skinny boy which I am not.
I gave them to a thinner friend.
However Daytona do not make a boot in the style of the 2003 model. So its a good job they last
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

MacV2 wrote:
scouse645 wrote:
This ageing driven body spread isn't just confined to the feet but other appendages may show signs of growth, hands, ear lobes & noses.
chipolata's tend to be the opposite in the fact that they shrink with age as the become less used, ask Kev about his shrinking willy for conformation.
That is certainly one reason for maintaining a good exercise routine !! Sod the old wives tale of it making you blind!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Watty wrote:Daytona's mate, bloody expensive though. I don't have them but my mate swears by them :thumbup:

superb boots are Daytona,s but not sporty looking ( i don't care at 55) they are dear but I've had a set for 9 yrs.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!