2 short stack/bellmouth questions

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jscobey

2 short stack/bellmouth questions

Post by Jscobey »

ive been reading on here that changing to 2 long stacks gives you more low end oomph, and 2 shorter stacks gives you more top end.

when i did my MCCT install the other day, i found out that the previous owner used permanent loctite on the mounting bolts for the rear stack so in trying to remove the stack it destroyed the threads on the airbox. long story short since the threads for the stacks are part of the airbox itself, i had to buy another airbox for about $20 on ebay. it comes with everything including new stacks.

im thinking about playing around with the stacks and possibly trying 2 short stacks for more top end.

just looking for experience from anyone who's done this. what was the outcome? what was done to the jetting? how much top end is gained? is it a worthy sacrifice in bottom end?

i read that honda put in one long and one short stack so that low/mid range one cylinder is working harder, and at top end, the other cylinder takes over.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
bigtwinthing

Re: 2 short stack/bellmouth questions

Post by bigtwinthing »

Jscobey wrote:ive been reading on here that changing to 2 long stacks gives you more low end oomph, and 2 shorter stacks gives you more top end.

when i did my MCCT install the other day, i found out that the previous owner used permanent loctite on the mounting bolts for the rear stack so in trying to remove the stack it destroyed the threads on the airbox. long story short since the threads for the stacks are part of the airbox itself, i had to buy another airbox for about $20 on ebay. it comes with everything including new stacks.

im thinking about playing around with the stacks and possibly trying 2 short stacks for more top end.

just looking for experience from anyone who's done this. what was the outcome? what was done to the jetting? how much top end is gained? is it a worthy sacrifice in bottom end?

i read that honda put in one long and one short stack so that low/mid range one cylinder is working harder, and at top end, the other cylinder takes over.
too much top loses you your licence!!!! does that help!!! 150 is fast enough!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Not interested in top end but the faster you get there is more fun :thumbup:
Max

Post by Max »

I run 2 short stacks, have done for a long time now. tried 2 long but preferred the feel of the 2 short.
I have 15/44 gearing so need the engine to run up a little higher from time to time.
when I had it dyno'd on rogers dyno a few years back after having the jets changed 2 short and a K+N the curve was lovely and flat with the big dip gone. hopefully get the lightened flywheel back soon so see how that goes as well .
Max

Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

It's not about going over 150mph. It's about more top end in each gear. I'm jut wondering what the consensus is by people who have tried it.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

also is it more beneficial to have actual velocity stacks?

the only aftermarket stacks i can find are the H Power stacks from OZ but one is the length of the long OEM stack, and the other is longer than that so a 2.5hp gain in the midrange but im looking to go to 2 shorter stacks.

is there anywhere that sells 2 short aftermarket velocity stacks?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Dr Honda, A&L in the US?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

No unless you buy two sets of moriwaki and use just the short ones . Tho they sit flush to the airbox floor and might be to much
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Virt

Post by Virt »

Irrelevant to conversation but can I have first dibs on the extra long stack, if you do decide to go 2 shorts? Cheers :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

And these are mine Image
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

the A&L link says they are out of stock. i saw that website a few days ago but it seems like its out of stock and prolly will never be in stock again

lloydie it seems like the shorter one is VERY short and the long one is like the shorter stock one.

that is a setup i like!
budd

Post by budd »

what's the internal diameter of the OE stack ? these are available from Rally Designs in various lengths
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=3339
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

budd wrote:what's the internal diameter of the OE stack ? these are available from Rally Designs in various lengths
http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_in ... ts_id=3339
my next thought was if any other bike has a similar stack size that could work
budd

Post by budd »

I think the problem is that the VTR carbs are massive compared to most other bikes or indeed cars, I have mate with a V8 Capri that is on quad 50mm down draft dellortos, he's always messing about with different air-filters, air-boxes maybe he as some 50mm trumpets laying about, it's definitely worth a visit to see, plus he's just bought a Lambo Aventador so I can have butchers at that at the same time.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .