Tyres - PR3 or PR4?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Captain Shapeless

Tyres - PR3 or PR4?

Post by Captain Shapeless »

Sorry for yet another thread on tyres, but am after some recommendations.

I got talked into having a pair of Bridgestone 021s fitted on my Storm, and I hate them. When they're cold they feel like they're well down on tyre pressure. They're ok when warm, but the front feels really uncertain when flipping side to side, like you do when going around a small roundabout. So, I've decided to bite the bullet and even though the 021's have done less than a thousand miles, I'm going back to Michelin Pilot Roads, but which should I go for, the PR3's or PR4's? I'm not a knee down merchant and ride all year round. I'm also somewhat generously proportioned, so should I go for the 4's which, I think, are for heavier machines?
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
mattycoops43

Re: Tyres - PR3 or PR4?

Post by mattycoops43 »

No, I got conned by the tyre place like that, they ARE heavier side walls, but they are also hard in the centre and medium on the edge as opposed to the pr 3 which is soft and medium.

PR3 all the way!!
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I've got a pair of PR3's and a pair of PR4's in my workshop at the moment, first pair of PR4's that I've had in. Just looking at the tyres the 4's look quite a bit different, sharper profile on the front, still got extra sips but different pattern. They feel (to touch) softer than the 3's which backs up the claim from Michelin that they grip better, they also say they last longer. The 4's are going on a 2009 Yam R1, the 3's on an SP2. The 4's are the next generation on from the 3's they're not going to be harder or stiffer, they'll be more of the same but last longer and perform better, they don't go backwards on tyres and the 4's aren't billed as a GT tyre.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I have read several reviews of the 4 where it's called just that, a gt tyre. Lots of tales of 140mph touring on blackbirds etc on the continent.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
popkat

Post by popkat »

They are going on the 2009 R1 because it has a 190/55 rear, they don't make that size in PR3, there's not many GT bikes that have a 55 profile rear, although there are some, can't remember what now though.

If it was a GT tyre then it wouldn't work on the bike in this link.. First review I looked at, will read a few more.
http://www.visordown.com/product-featur ... 24659.html
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

mattycoops43 wrote:No, I got conned by the tyre place like that, they ARE heavier side walls, but they are also hard in the centre and medium on the edge as opposed to the pr 3 which is soft and medium.

PR3 all the way!!
Just looked at the listings and there's a PR4 and a PR4-GT, are you sure you weren't sold a GT by mistake ?.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I ran PR3s last year and have gone back to the 2s and I thought the had more stability especially on the front.. Too many cut outs etc. never had any issues with the 2s in the wet, so more than happy to have a cheeper tyre
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I find the 3's hard to turn in and change direction compared to a sporty tyre and the front wanders under heavy braking.

But grip is impressive considering the life expectancy of the tyre. I have had the rear let go a few times but only briefly and it's very predictable.

For average road riding, the 3's are great.
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have a pr2 on the front and it feels just as good as the pp2ct if not better
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

I have PR3’s on my Storm and a combination of 3’s & 4’s on my Bandit. Both seem to suite these bikes.
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Geoff S

Post by Geoff S »

There's a pretty good review of PR4 in July's Ride magasine. Briefly mentions the difference between 3 and 4 too.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I am not negative to new technology and am open to trying new tyres, however I go back to the press releases when the Storm came on the market.

I run an old spec Dunlop D209 on my Storm and find it to be the best for me. Another bonus is that they are cheap to buy now, but are getting harder to source.

Our frames are not modern, they flex and as such give better feedback with softer walled tyres.

I am now about to fit my second set and if someone had of told me to use these tyres before experiencing them I would have laughed at them.

I have toured them, scratched and tracked them and am really happy.

Sometimes the latest is not the best.

Just my opinion, but I have another set ready to go on , and am trying to find another.

Funny thing is they come from France and cost me $300 Oz a set which is cheap in Oz. :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Captain Shapeless

Post by Captain Shapeless »

Cheers all for your input. Hadn't even considered PR2's, dunno why, I've had them on before and liked them a lot. If the 4's have got a sharper profile on the front then they're out, as I really don't like a front that feels like it's tucking in, especially in the wet.

So, looks like it'll come down to price and availability between the PR2s and PR3s. Ta!
Black VTR + loud pipes = big grin + many car alarms set off
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

kenmoore wrote:I am not negative to new technology and am open to trying new tyres, however I go back to the press releases when the Storm came on the market.

I run an old spec Dunlop D209 on my Storm and find it to be the best for me. Another bonus is that they are cheap to buy now, but are getting harder to source.

Our frames are not modern, they flex and as such give better feedback with softer walled tyres.

I am now about to fit my second set and if someone had of told me to use these tyres before experiencing them I would have laughed at them.

I have toured them, scratched and tracked them and am really happy.

Sometimes the latest is not the best.

Just my opinion, but I have another set ready to go on , and am trying to find another.

Funny thing is they come from France and cost me $300 Oz a set which is cheap in Oz. :beer: :beer: :beer:
i had them on my storm when i got it and i too thought they were good tyres. Ive got Qualifiers 2s now and aim happy with them too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Captain Shapeless wrote:Cheers all for your input. Hadn't even considered PR2's, dunno why, I've had them on before and liked them a lot. If the 4's have got a sharper profile on the front then they're out, as I really don't like a front that feels like it's tucking in, especially in the wet.

So, looks like it'll come down to price and availability between the PR2s and PR3s. Ta!

The front profile isn't really sharp, Michelins tend to have a rounded profile anyway, the pr4 is just a little more pointy than the 3, it won't have you tipping in too fast and these tyres are the best you can get for the wet.
The guy who's R1 I fitted the 4's to last week popped back in and said he loved them and they feel better than the powers that he had before, so R1 goes from sports rubber to sport touring and is better for it (he's not a knee down scratcher)

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll get on fine with any of them.