Dented piston, broken valve. Rebuild or engine swap?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jztam

Dented piston, broken valve. Rebuild or engine swap?

Post by jztam »

Hello Lads and Lasses,

I thought it was just a faulty head gasket, but when I pulled the front head, I saw this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8czQt ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you cannot see the piston picture.
It's been bashed a few dozen times by a broken valve and dented severely.

Is it cheaper to:
a. tear the engine down and replace the piston, head, valves, shims, bottom end chunks, buy all the bits and tools to pull the transmission, bearings;
b. do an engine swap, assuming I can find a decent replacement engine in Ontario, Canada
c. ?? open to suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, your help is greatly appreciated. I just want to ride !!!
bsabloke

Re: Dented piston, broken valve. Rebuild or engine swap?

Post by bsabloke »

Bad luck with your bike. Financially cheaper to swap engines.all down to quality of replacement.
Was it cct failure? 8O
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

As bas says, just swap it. It's a lot cheaper than rebuilding.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I tend to agree unless you plan to upgrade the engine with high compression pistons etc- if so you have to pull it apart anyway; as long as the bore isn't scratched you can re-use and rebuild the engine- pistons are cheap, and all you will need is a front head and head gasket.
Shame it's the front head, the front head, clutch cover, clutch and cams are the only saleable bits, really.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jztam

Post by jztam »

Hmm Tony,
Now that you put it that way, I might actually think about doing the piston replacement. My worry is about all the new tools I'll have/get to buy (and Keep!) and havent gone shopping yet for all the needed bits and pieces. Never done This job before. Any advice IF I choose to replace the piston and everything else needed on the dismantling and reinstall?

N.B. I love this forum. It's like having mates next door and around the block, but Different. :)
Jordan
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can leave the engine in the frame and use the same technique as jscobey has for his high compression piston fitting.
Leave the ok one in place. Pistons are quite cheap from Honda, and only Honda do rings.
jztam

Post by jztam »

Thanks Carl and Tony for the pep rally. It's just myself working on the bike...and its nice to have some technical comraderie. :) Having read the procedure in the manual.. I am missing some tools to remove the clutch, bearings and something else. Would you be so kind to tell me what bits I should order before I rip it even further apart..to remove the busted piston? Thank you kindly. Jordan
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

jztam wrote:Thanks Carl and Tony for the pep rally. It's just myself working on the bike...and its nice to have some technical comraderie. :) Having read the procedure in the manual.. I am missing some tools to remove the clutch, bearings and something else. Would you be so kind to tell me what bits I should order before I rip it even further apart..to remove the busted piston? Thank you kindly. Jordan
You don't need to remove the clutch, apparently... so all good.