Ticking - but not a rattle

General Bike chat
mattbridges

Ticking - but not a rattle

Post by mattbridges »

Been out on the bike all day, covered about 300 miles. All of a sudden I noticed a ticking sound - not a rattle. I noticed it at a petrol station when I took out my ear plugs.

It seems more pronounced when I'm stopped or accelerating, I can't really tell at speed, the scorpion zorsts are too loud! :twisted: I've done a quick search of the forum and everyone seems to point at a rattle being the CCT's rather that a ticking. I've had a listen again this evening and I can't hear a rattle but I'm worried now. Could it be the CCT's or something else?

The bike has done about 13500 miles now. It's been well maintained; always serviced on time and has had lots of love in the past, nothing I have indicates the CCT's have been replaced but the previous owner suggested they were done before they bought the bike.

If I am looking at a new front and rear CCTs how much damage is it going to do to the wallet? I assume the labour is the expensive part, what's the going rate. Is there anything else I should get done at the same time?

Cheers

Matt
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
RQ

Post by RQ »

Safest thing to do is bring it to your local friendly dealer and ask him to have a listen, he should be able to tell you straight away. Money? Parts aren't too expensive, it is as you said the labour that will cost.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

just had both of mine replaced at 17,000 miles
cost about 60 for cct and bout £ 100 labour.

Mine was a definite ticking (not a rattle) bit like the old loose tappets
and was more pronounced at low revs 15000 t0 18000

Sod the cost get it done while you can
it may be clever, but its not big.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I agree with Paul
but... :oops:
I think he means 1500 to 1800 :lol: (anything under 3000 really)

It could be a sticking bucket but I haven't heard of any problems with Storms, best to get it checked out

Pete.l
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Described it to the local garage and they said it's probably the CCT's (or a CCT). Booked in for tomorrow.

Like you say; better safe that sorry!

THeregoes the misses christmas present; lol! The bike is much more important, she'll have to do with some coal.

Any advice on riding down to the dealer; I suppose keep the revs down and don't let it labour too much.

lol!
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Lower revs puts less strain on the tensioners
Biggest no-no is shutting the throttle and using engine braking
If you're decelerating it should be done on the brakes or with the clutch in

And don't leave the bike on it side-stand warming up for 5mins, just start it and ride off

Ben
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

jeez, looks like I've been over revving a bit :oops:
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Well, that was interesting.

I've just dropped the bike off at a local garage and they said "Don't see many storms with knackered cct's these days, it's more the blades that come in sounding like a bag of spanners"

They are going to have a good look over the bike today and get back to me.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Do they see many Storms? 8O
RQ.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

They normally have about 10 in showroom for sale. The service manager said they are quite generally more reliable than other V-twins; the
dealer is independent so they see all sorts but I've heard very good things about them.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Well I suppose that for all the giving out we do about the CCT's, it seems to be the only thing that is a major issue (open to correction by you guys or the bike when it blows up on me next week!)
What are other twins like? Do they eat your shorts after a while??
RQ.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

From what I hear, read and have experience.
CCTs and regulator/rectifier.
Ive suffeered R/R failure which fooled several people into thinking it was a starter motor problem.
Check the connector on the starter......under rubber boot as it rusts off.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Well surprise, surprise - the front cct it is.
Having them replace both.

I'm obviously quite green when it comes to storms, but has anyone organised a letter to honda signed by all the storm owners stating how upset we are about this CCT issue?

Matt
RQ

Post by RQ »

Done a few times I think. There is a link to the letter I found that originated in the States on the last CCT thread.
RQ.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

I take it Honda don't get off their ars*s and do anything..... I have a knack for complaining. :D :oops: