Random shut down?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
NZSpokes

Random shut down?

Post by NZSpokes »

Was out for a ride today in the country. Running along at a steady 60mph then it started surging. Felt like I was out of fuel. Had plenty of fuel. Pulled over and she shut down. :wtf:

Sat there for a min to try to think what it could be then hit the starter. Bang off she went. No problem. Rode the 15 miles home and she ran as normal.

The question is, does this sound like a faulty petcock diaphragm?
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Random shut down?

Post by sirch345 »

I have heard of that happening if you have just filled the bike up with fuel, basically over filled it causing an air lock. Next time it happens, once you come to a stop open the fuel cap and listen for a sudden intake of air. No not from you, from the fuel tank :)

Chris.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

sirch345 wrote:I have heard of that happening if you have just filled the bike up with fuel, basically over filled it causing an air lock. Next time it happens, once you come to a stop open the fuel cap and listen for a sudden intake of air. No not from you, from the fuel tank :)

Chris.
I had put 10l in 20 mins before. Will try that if it happens again.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I had put 10l in 20 mins before.
There's a clue. I'm guessing Chris is on the right track with the vacuum lock.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

cybercarl wrote:
I had put 10l in 20 mins before.
There's a clue. I'm guessing Chris is on the right track with the vacuum lock.

It wasnt full after I put the 10L in. But yes a good clue.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Maybe not that then if it wasn't full to the brim. Check your battery connections are secure too. I had that once and the bike would surge and die every now and again. There's also the odd chance of bad fuel been put in so don't rule that out either.

NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Riding it to work today so we will see what happens.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Did exactly the same today twice. I cant find the fuel valve in the manual but it can only be 2 things, faulty diaphragm in the fuel valve or a blocked filter in the tank.

At a constant 60mph after 10 mins the motor starts surging then cuts out. Pull over, wait 30 seconds and its fine again.

Has done about 70ks from a full tank.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Wondering if this could be the cause?

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/te ... ock-29642/
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm pulling more towards the vacuum diaphragm now as it's happening at constant higher speeds. :think:

NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Spoke to a Honda dealer today. His call is the vent line getting water in it as well. Have lifted the tank and fitted a clear line to it so I can see if anything goes it it. I also put it where rain water cant get to.

Dealer also said the caps vent as well. :wtf:

And its common for them to block. I cant see a vent in the cap or even how to pull it apart.

Starting point I guess.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

NZSpokes wrote:Spoke to a Honda dealer today. His call is the vent line getting water in it as well. Have lifted the tank and fitted a clear line to it so I can see if anything goes it it. I also put it where rain water cant get to.

And its common for them to block. I cant see a vent in the cap or even how to pull it apart.

Starting point I guess.
Re the fuel cap.

3 cap head bolts, 12o/c, 5o/c & 7o/c**. Take them out & the whole thing comes away from the tank. IIRC you have to have the cap open as well or that holds it in. You will see a small hole in the recessed outer ring. This is the drain hole for when you over fill/ spill a bit of fuel... when you do it runs out of one of the tubes that come out down at the belly pan.

I would imagine that it is possible for this to get blocked or get a bit of crud in it.

** Only 3 of the cap heads do anything to hold the cap in place, the 5 & 7 o/c may be a few mins out... :lol: Thats only rough from memory & my memory is fairly rough at the best of times... :lol: if you do this at nine thirty in the morning it does not affect the position of the bolts...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

MacV2 wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:Spoke to a Honda dealer today. His call is the vent line getting water in it as well. Have lifted the tank and fitted a clear line to it so I can see if anything goes it it. I also put it where rain water cant get to.

Starting point I guess.
Re the fuel cap.

3 cap head bolts, 12o/c, 5o/c & 7o/c**. Take them out & the whole thing comes away from the tank. IIRC you have to have the cap open as well or that holds it in. You will see a small hole in the recessed outer ring. This is the drain hole for when you over fill/ spill a bit of fuel... when you do it runs out of one of the tubes that come out down at the belly pan.

I would imagine that it is possible for this to get blocked or get a bit of crud in it.

** Only 3 of the cap heads do anything to hold the cap in place, the 5 & 7 o/c may be a few mins out... :lol: Thats only rough from memory & my memory is fairly rough at the best of times... :lol: if you do this at nine thirty in the morning it does not affect the position of the bolts...
Ah, sweet. I looked at that hole today. I will try to blow it out at work next week as I still have the problem.

Im suspect of the Petcock valve as well. In saying that I had a spare key in the cap so I opened it when it did it today and after a few seconds it went well again.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Looks like ive found the issue. Sprayed brake clean into the vent hole on the cap. None came out anywhere. Is blocked.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

NZSpokes wrote:Looks like ive found the issue. Sprayed brake clean into the vent hole on the cap. None came out anywhere. Is blocked.
:thumbup:

Now you just have to unblock it...Air line ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...