Off Road

General Biker Banter
GreenEyedGecko

Off Road

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

So in an attempt to improve my riding, I had a go at an off road experience with i2i training last weekend. It was such good fun I thought you might like to hear about it.

It was at a track in a muddy field near Thirsk, there were 6 of us doing the event, riding KTM 350s, there was one trainer and another 6 helpers riding round with us to help pick up dropped bikes etc.

First lesson we went out on a flat training area to get familiar with the machine and the riding position (i.e. sitting forward to distribute your weigh more evenly, and elbows up in the air so that a panic reaction would not result in locking up your arms ) It felt so wrong, riding a bike in the dirt over loose stones and wet grass but the bike managed it ok. Also practised riding over bumps whilst standing up on the pegs.

Second lesson we had a go at cornering, off road style, i.e. sitting upright, pushing the bike down towards the inside of the corner. Opposite of what you do on the road!

Third lesson was in causing a skid on a corner and how, if you keep the throttle on, it allows the bike to recover its self. (You cause the skid by powering out of a corner. I found this very difficult cos I low sided my bike earlier this year doing exactly that. Well, on tarmac – not mud!))

Next we learnt how to control skids in a straight line. We caused the front wheel skid by sitting right back on the seat, keeping the clutch open, throttle on and pulling the front brake. Next, by simply moving body weight to the front of the seat, this exact same manoeuvre caused a rear wheel skid.

Then we had a go at how to negotiate riding up and down slippery surfaces (you just keep the throttle on and lean your body forwards for uphill and backwards for downhill) Alarming, but it works.

The last lesson was in doing jumps. Ha! That was a laugh! You just ride up to a mound, standing up on the pegs – then keep going. The trick is to maintain throttle open whilst in the air cos if you throttle off the bike tips forwards and you land front wheel first. Well! I thought I was a Red Bull rider but apparently I only managed to clear about 12 inches ha ha. Not so impressive but such a blast.

So, armed with these skills, we were let loose on the main track. Across wet grass, over bumps and hollows, up and down muddy banks etc. Such a rush! All was going well till I watched the guy in front go off the track, across some deep furrows and he fell off. I was thinking “mustn’t go over there” ….. and then did exactly the same thing!! But it didn’t hurt.

After a few rounds of the track the day was over and we rode back to the flat grassy starting bay. I lined up my bike next to the others …… and then just fell off. Ha ha, think I was tired by then.

When I got home, Mr Gecko points to all the sods of mud and grass hanging off the front bumper of my car and says “what’s all that?” lol. As I was driving out of the field after the event I went over some very uneven ground but kept thinking “throttle on! throttle on!” Ha ha, it’s not the same in a car!!!

But anyhow, I don’t know if any of yous have had a go at off road but it is such fun, I do recommend it. :D
grumpyfrog

Re: Off Road

Post by grumpyfrog »

Sounds like you had a fantastic day, will be interesting to see how you apply any of your newly gained training onto road riding?

Never been on an official off road course, just keep falling over on any gravel/grass that gets in my way.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like great fun.......... and I bet you were knackered as off roading is hard work.

I grew up on a farm and have been riding off road longer than riding on road, and I am a firm believer that it helps your road riding.
bike control of the clutch, brakes & throttle
Balance and body position and how it effects the bike
finding out that there is way more grip than you imagined and how to feel for it
knowing what happens when you loose grip and being able to control it
crashing and walking away

and its one of the best exercises to be fit for riding roadbikes.......... its about the only exercise John McGuiness does
AMcQ
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I too grew up on a farm and learnt to ride on a PW80, so off-roading was the natural start for me. Used to go out with my dad and brother on the Isle of Man with a DT125, XR250 and KTM520, but we ended up selling the bikes when we all moved various ways. Would be well up for some green-laning when I have space for a suitable bike.

And yes, I took a jump on a closed throttle once... oops.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Sounds great :-)

How much did that cost?

I ask because my brother and I are looking at options for my stag do, and this sounds ideal.

Do you need a bike licence to do this?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

chris,
is that your way of letting us know you are getting married? :lol:
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:chris,
is that your way of letting us know you are getting married? :lol:
Lol, you didn't know already? I am sure I mentioned it at the meets, Ady was talking about it.

It's in April next year.
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

god another lamb to the slaughter.lol.did I mention cinical old git on my cv.lol,no growing up on the fields with bikes definitely helps you anticipate what the bike is doing on the road :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Fantastic write up dude! :clap:

I got halfway through your write up, paused and thought "F*ck I miss motocross!!" then carried on reading.

So, moral of the story is... power on and body position and power on :lol: :wink:
Jamie :wave:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

if in doubt give it a hand full,often works.tightens your line and settles suspention :thumbup:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jamoi wrote:Fantastic write up dude! :clap:

I got halfway through your write up, paused and thought "F*ck I miss motocross!!" then carried on reading.

So, moral of the story is... power on and body position and power on :lol: :wink:
Jamie, , just a small point! Dude is actually a lady 8O :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Watty wrote:Jamie, , just a small point! Dude is actually a lady 8O :lol:
Generic innit! :lol:
Jamie :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jamoi wrote:
Watty wrote:Jamie, , just a small point! Dude is actually a lady 8O :lol:
Generic innit! :lol:
Nice recovery :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
GreenEyedGecko

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

How much did that cost?

I ask because my brother and I are looking at options for my stag do, and this sounds ideal.

Do you need a bike licence to do this?

Well, congrats on your upcoming wedding!!

The day costs £170 http://www.i2imca.com/OffRoad.asp (Machine Control 2) but it is a lot of fun. The day is from 10am till 4pm and you get to use their bikes and gear.

I think you would enjoy this on a stag do. Its dead funny watching other people fall off. Its looks so slap stick. Ha ha, there was one guy with very short legs, poor bloke must have decked it half a dozen times. And when (not if!) you fall off, its on soft ground so its ok.
Oh, and they didn't ask to see a licence.

will be interesting to see how you apply any of your newly gained training onto road riding?
One of the messages the instructor explained is how a bike want to be stable (gyroscopic effects etc) and its the riders "panic reaction" that unsettles the machine. This made a lot of sense and, for me personally, on the road I know I throttle off mid corner. 8O So thats something I need to work on.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Great. It sounds ideal.

How many were there on the day you did it? Did you get any idea of how many they can cater for by how many bikes they had??

Some of the guys will have never ridden a motorbike, at all. Perhaps it's not the best idea for them, as they'll be grappling with gears, clutch etc as well as the off roading.

So - since doing this, have you tried to induce a back end drift on the road yet? :D