Ohlins set up?

General Biker Banter
NZSpokes

Ohlins set up?

Post by NZSpokes »

Anybody else using an ohlins rear shock for track days? What set up are you running? :beer:
8541Hawk

Re: Ohlins set up?

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well I've played with mine a bit but it has been gone through so I don't know if the shim stack is stock but I have found the Ohlins default settings to work best for me.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

What are the stock settings? I'm refitting mine in the next few weeks and I could do with something to work from.
popkat

Post by popkat »

From memory, static sag 10-12mm, compression 10 clicks back from fully in, rebound 8 clicks back from fully in.
If you push down on the seat make sure it returns under control and at about the same rate at which you push it down, if all ok then ride the bike and fine tune if needed from there. Harsh and/or vague feeling from the back end then back out a couple of clicks on the compression. if it feels a bit loose or soft on the back then go in a couple of clicks on compression.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Rebound = 14 clicks out
Comp = 12 clicks out

For sag, I have seen a couple different ways to set this. I use the the rider on the bike method and go for 28mm of loaded sag.

This also might be handy for you guys going to Ohlins: http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/ ... rt/HO-701/
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thanks guys :thumbup:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

8541Hawk wrote:Rebound = 14 clicks out
Comp = 12 clicks out

For sag, I have seen a couple different ways to set this. I use the the rider on the bike method and go for 28mm of loaded sag.

This also might be handy for you guys going to Ohlins: http://www.ohlins.com/Our-products-new/ ... rt/HO-701/
Have added a couple of clicks comp from stock as getting a little squat out of turns. Has helped but a bit harsh around town.
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

Just bought this exact shock, used. Thought it would be an awesome shock for street use and maybe a track day or two. Thanks for posting that information!
According to that link, Ohlins says this shock needs a rebuild every ~19,000 miles of street riding. And I just got a quote of $250 for a rebuild and a new spring (spring is $90). Is this a decent price?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

CruxGNZ wrote:Just bought this exact shock, used. Thought it would be an awesome shock for street use and maybe a track day or two. Thanks for posting that information!
According to that link, Ohlins says this shock needs a rebuild every ~19,000 miles of street riding. And I just got a quote of $250 for a rebuild and a new spring (spring is $90). Is this a decent price?
Yup, sounds right. Im on a 1000lb spring. Next service I will ditch the remote preload.

Make sure its an Ohlins service center.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If you ditch the remote preload and want to sell it I'll take it off ya . As mine don't have one
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Can you afford it after the car :P If someone has some sell to sell would you like to buy it. :lol:

You must have two ohlins then ya greedy git. Virts one was the top of the range with the lot. It's shocking how many shocks you have, do they need dampening down a bit.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virts one didn't have the hydraulic preload :-( .
I have a ohlins on kermit and a for piggy I have a proflex .
I still need to get that standard one off btt at some point .
But at the mo I only have them .
I'm trying to only keep parts I need now as the garage was getting full of boxed parts .
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

After my track day Im showing to need a little more rebound on the back as I have a raised edge on the trailing edge of the groves in my tyre. Currently on standard settings so will try 12 clicks out on rebound. See if that cleans up on the next track day.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Getting closer to the settings I posted then :roll:

Put a picture up of your tyre, you can't read rebound (well I can't) from the tyre but you can sometimes read compression.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I would post pics but I cant on this site for some reason.