Belly Pan Restoration

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
markbo

Re: Belly Pan Restoration

Post by markbo »

got a bit more done - the "red" one is now almost ready for painting, except for one little bit where i got too close when i put on the last primer coat, bit more cutting back to do ....

half the yellow one is looking good

i could have sworn this was smooth!!

it's a slow process with the weather cos every time it's sunny i go out for a ride!
markbo

Post by markbo »

sirch345 wrote:Yes I agree with Watty for the left side bracket, you'll need a fine pitch bolt that screws into the back of the side stand bolt thread as shown below
Chris.
Chris do you know what the pitch is? i can find 1mm and 1.25mm ones on ebay (1.25 is most likely?)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

When you fit the washer (make it a stainless one) into the mounting hole, it can be a good idea to reinforce the rear with a little glass fibre. It'll stop the washer busting though the back if you ground out the belly pan landing a jump or straddling a kerb.
You can always fill an paint scrapes, but a bellypan hanging off under the bike is hard to get home.

Or maybe you treat your bike more gently than I do mine? :lol:

By the way, this is only worth doing on glass fibre ones, carbon or plastic will break under those conditions no matter what reinforcement you put on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
markbo

Post by markbo »

Not been on here for a while but i got the one belly pan "finished" and fitted - couldn't get a yellow to match so i just went with black from halfords nice and easy to apply too!
I've seen templ8's bellypan post, what a great job!
I haven't fitted heat foil inside but think i should probably do that?
Where the fin touched the pipe i cut it short and shaped it with a small grinder so no part of the bellypan touches anything hot now as far as i can tell (haven't got around to painting the edge yet!)
Very pleased with the end result - it's not perfect by any means but it's my first attempt and i'm happy with it.
I was going to put some stickers on too but i'm not sure they're neccessary.

TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

markbo wrote:Image
Black and yellow is always a nice combo for a bike.

The 1st pic (side on, above), the mudguard with the "fenda extender" flows a line onto the belly pan now! The seat front also points a black flow line down to the belly pan.

Would you be brave enough to get hold of a used mudguard and paint it black to match the belly pan - just to see what it looks like? I think it'd flow, keeping the top half of the bike yellow, and the bottom half black without going over t'top lad. At least it wouldn't ruin the original yellow mudguard if you didn't like it....

I think all yer hard work has paid off. It looks bloody smart suhn! :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
markbo

Post by markbo »

Thanks GBM and nice to see you back on here after your trials and tribulations - keep on keeping on!

i see what you mean about the flowing lines might be an idea to try a black front fender - once i finally get the other fairing painted i'll give it a go.
i only got this fitted a couple of days ago but it gave me a bit of impetus and i've primed the other one today so i should have that done by next week, i hope.

an old mans work is never done ..... :thumbup:
chippy 55

Post by chippy 55 »

Hi I'm in the process of doing mine at the minute due to some scrote trying to off road the bike luckily it's fibreglass and in two halves some really useful info in your write up just realised its a lot more work than you think but be worth it in the end bike looks bare without it
Cheers chippy
Watty

Post by Watty »

markbo wrote:Not been on here for a while but i got the one belly pan "finished" and fitted - couldn't get a yellow to match so i just went with black from halfords nice and easy to apply too!
I've seen templ8's bellypan post, what a great job!
I haven't fitted heat foil inside but think i should probably do that?
Where the fin touched the pipe i cut it short and shaped it with a small grinder so no part of the bellypan touches anything hot now as far as i can tell (haven't got around to painting the edge yet!)
Very pleased with the end result - it's not perfect by any means but it's my first attempt and i'm happy with it.
I was going to put some stickers on too but i'm not sure they're neccessary.

It certainly looks better than when you got it off me mate :thumbup: Was just wondering about this the other day :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
kev64

Post by kev64 »

I got the exact same yellow lowers as you, with the exact same break !!
Thanks for the tips on that, (I also need to make some brackets)

Nice job so far :thumbup:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

markbo wrote: nice to see you back on here after your trials and tribulations - keep on keeping on!
Thank you Mr. Bourne. It's good to be back...although, I think other people may think different, but...MEH! And yup, twials and twibulations abound. All we can do is "keep on keepin on!"
H2H and best regards (not forgetting the MANY thanks for helping me get the storm looking presentable again!) Dave. :Beer1:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
markbo

Post by markbo »

hi Watty - yep 1 down, 1 to go! hoping to finish the other in the next week or so but i think this one will need some stickers... :thumbup:

GBM - no problem happy to help out - wish i could have done more! :wave:
markbo

Post by markbo »

kev64 wrote:I got the exact same yellow lowers as you, with the exact same break !!
Thanks for the tips on that, (I also need to make some brackets)

Nice job so far :thumbup:
Thanks for that, as the reshaping on the belly pan went well i might try to do something similar on the fairing lowers to get them away from the heat.
darkember

Post by darkember »

[quote="markbo"]i put the yellow lowers on this afternoon to see where they touched the exhaust and they definitely need bending away on the RHS.
also not 100% sure where i bolt 2 of the brackets on - they didn't line up onto an obvious bolt.
i took some pictures, perhaps someone can explain which bolt i'm aiming for?

on the RHS looking over the brake pedal - am i aiming for one of these bolts?
or have i got the bracket in the wrong place, i couldn't find another obvious way of fitting it?

on the LHS - is it going onto this bolt cos it doesn't really reach... ?

thanks for any help.... :?

Darn thats the cleanest side stand switch I have ever seen. Do you lube your chain at all :D :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Yes I agree those two colours work very well together.

Good job Mark :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote:
TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
Yes I agree those two colours work very well together.

Good job Mark :thumbup:

Chris.
Yep, just ask a wasp...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...