ART Cans

General Bike chat
masked gerbal

ART Cans

Post by masked gerbal »

Hello

Just got a set of ART Cans fitted to the Firestorm. Sound fan great, look great, generally just great.

Questions though.

On a long run the other day got 131 mls before reserve light came on, thats 44 mls per gallon. Bit surprised I got this, can this be due to the new Cans ?

Also I can't find out whether I should be re-jetting the carbs coz of the new cans ? Anyone know ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Tah Masked G :twisted:
Now got the ART - Watch your ears !!!!
F*&^ Me They Set Car Alarms Off Too
Great !
buzz

Post by buzz »

gerbal
its the screen ( more streamlined )

------------- -------------- I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

buzz :lol:

ps . wheres mi piccies
blackstorm

smiles per gallon

Post by blackstorm »

has to be a faulty reserve light, get ready for the big push!
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

The Storm will be OK on standard jetting.

Al.
masked gerbal

Art Cans

Post by masked gerbal »

Firestorm Al - Are you sure the ART's wont require re jetting !

Warning light was right. 131 miles and 13.53 litres of unleaded. 44 miles per gallon F$%£ Me !!! That was at a steady 95 mph as well !!!

Buzz, the weather up here has been shite. Photo will get done when the sun comes out. Screen looks good. Make the bike look alot narrower and taller from the front though. Jury is also still out as to whether it gives better wind protection. I'm 6'2'' and wind now seem to be in my face rather than my neck as it was with the standard screen.

Cheer

Masked G :twisted:
Great !
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

i take it you have a 2001+ model??

Just wait till the weather improves. That has an inverse affect on your fuel economy believe me!

Al.
masked gerbal

ART Cans

Post by masked gerbal »

No Al I've got a 2000 model.

R U sure about not re jetting ?

Cheers

Masked G

How the snow in Aberdeen ? How many inches ya got, and what the snow depth ...... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Great !
steve

Post by steve »

hi, i've also got a 2000 model(fx) i've got a k+n filter, scorpion cans, and a dynojet kit. i get about 100 miles before the light most of the time. 110 if i take it easy. about 90 in the height of summer. I fitted bigger main gets when fitting the dynojet kit, just to be on the safe side. makes 107bhp at the wheel! i'd suggest getting it on a dyno, should only cost £20-£30, lot cheaper than replacing burnt out valves, which is what will probably happen if it is running lean!
steve
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

If you've been running the bike with the cans on for a while then they should be able to get a rough indication of how lean or rich the bike is running by the colour of the sooty deposits at the end of the tail pipe ( and I'm not talking about glove pupets there ).

The end can usually makes the bike run slightly more lean. As a rough guide this is what you should expect -

Jet Black - rich
light gray - lean

Sooty end means rich , which is safe , white means lean which means holes in pistons

A nice toasty dark brown is nice , but sooty is ok unless you notice the bike bogging down , also you will only get the toasty colour if you have just been thrashing it (redline , lots) so sooty on normal running probably means brown when thrashed

As a rule of thumb if the tuned length and positioning of the pipe has not been altered then usually no jetting is required. However, all bikes run better once they've been tailored to their pipe.

If you want the bike set up properly you really need to get it on a rolling road which will cost ya. Try East Coast suberbikes in Fife or Swona in Edinburger.

You can read about one mans experience here - http://www.roadracers.co.uk/vtr.htm . After a lot of buggering about he reverted back to almost standard settings.

Description of dynojet can be found here - http://www.roadracers.co.uk/dynojet.htm
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

When my cam chain tensioner failed my engine was stripped. Even after 4 years with race cans on and standard jetting the valves looked brand new ( apart from being concerinad after coming into contact with the piston!! ) If you've fitted a full system then you must get it done but not just for end cans.

Most Hondas are set up ruch from the factory hence why the engines have such long time intervals between the major valve clearence services!

Call me cynical but up here fitting a dynojet kit / power commander to your bike is like having extra posing points when you meet up with other bikers like a game of trump cards :roll:

Al.
steve

Post by steve »

hi, me again, hope youre not having a dig al !! you're right about honda's being rich as standard, but, dynojet kits really do help the vtr, especialy in the midrange. After fitting my cans the bike ran great, only i tryed to be clever by buying a k+n, well, you can wash them out and re-use them right!, only putting the k+n in make the bike run sh1t, so i decided not to waste the £90!!, yep, you read that right, for the k+n and spend £50 on a dynojet kit instead. didn't really notice any improvements at first, only when i went out with my mate on his TL1000R, the vtr had im licked! The vtr had always got im at the bottom end, out of roundabouts and tight corners, but now seemed to pull better up top. hope you're all doing well up there, the world's come to a stop down here( you've probably seen it on the news) and we only got 2in of snow!!!!
steve
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

steve wrote:hi, me again, hope youre not having a dig al !!
Not having a dig at anyone I'm just a tight fisted Scott! 8)

Up here in Aberfreeze there are a lot of fair weather oil workers with money burning holes in their pockets so they go out and get R1's, Blades etc and turn up for runs with pristeen one piece suits. Then when you head off after a stop they try and mussle past you in the first few hundred yards cause you're on a "storts tourer" (even worse now I'm back on a 600 Bandit) oly for them to straight line it then ride almost vertically throught the bends.

It's that sort of rider up here that seem to all have all the go faster bits and go on at length about squeezing an extra 1/2 bhp out of their bike rather than actually learning how to ride the bloody things. :roll:

Basically, I'm not having a pop at anyone on this site I just don't want to see you wasting your cash if it's not really necessary :)

Al.
steve

Post by steve »

Fair enough. you must admit all these idiots on "supersports" bikes that cant ride them, make us "sports tourer" riders look really good!! I really enjoy humiliating them, especially when i'm out on me other bike.... a 1985 gsx1100efe! seems that the way fashion goes, if you've got a R1 and the like, then its just wrong to let anything past, let alone something old! they do just make work for themselves, i can't remember ever struggling with a tankslapper on the storm!! mind you, i've never got me knee down either. every one knows the expression "more money than sense.

steve
steve
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

just read your last post al, & it didnt half make me smile :wink: im sure you must have seen a few of them at tesco on a sunday with their shopping trolleys
(as this perhaps best describes the way they handle them)
how about ten easy ways to spot a superbike poser?
i will start the ball rolling
1.they dont ever wear or take waterproofs out with them on a bike run.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

2. New helmet, leathers & gloves every year?