B man's headlight conversion

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Bananaman

B man's headlight conversion

Post by Bananaman »

this is going to be discriptive im afraid, forgot to take pics :oops:
anyhoo, i had the powrbronze set up and as i sai i didnt like it much as the lights were pants, and to adjust aim or change bulbs it was a fairing off job :crazy: plus the fact that after a week of being on there the chrome light rings had started to rust through.
So i started thinking and came up with this solution that worked! thanks to Jamoi again :thumbup:
I got hold of a damaged headlight unit for pence, making sure the reflector unit that the bulb fits in was ok.
I bolted the light shells together and offered them up to the reflector,marked round and cut the centre of the reflector out being very careful not to damage the fixings on the back, so the light shells sat inside the outer rim of the reflector and about 5 mm proud at the front.
To allow the back of the headlight unit to fit properly i cut the shells down to about a 10 - 15mm ring and around the bolt holes on either side, then glassed the rings into what remained of the reflector.
Then i took my standard headlight off, and opened it up, popped off the reflector and cut two holes in the back of the unit so i could access the bulbs when it was fitted, fitted the modified reflector back into my original unit and stuck the light units into their shells, refitted the lens and sorted the wiring, they are wired in parallel through two 30amp relays with a direct battery feed fused at 20amp the relays are activated by the old headlamp connector.

This way means that i have the use of the original aim adjusters, the headlight is still a sealed one piece unit, and you only need to connect 4 wires, earth,battery feed to relays,and high and low beam to the old light plug! :thumbup:

hope this gives you some idea, if anyone wants i could take some pics but id have to take the fairing off :D also if anyone wants this done, i could do it easily, i would just need a donor headlight and the new light units, thinking about it i could do it as a straight plug in mod :thumbup:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
NZSpokes

Re: B man's headlight conversion

Post by NZSpokes »

What light units did you use? From another bike?

I find on my bike on low beam I cant see through turns as there is a sharp cut of light due to the reflector shape, does this resolve that?
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

The light units are the 4 inch ones you can get for street fighters etc.gives a much better light spread and high beam is very good
macdee

Post by macdee »

right banana your just going to have to do it all over again this time with pictures :roll:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

macdee wrote:right banana your just going to have to do it all over again this time with pictures :roll:
Lol ill take a few pics in a bit I need to sort the wiring properly anyway :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Bananaman wrote:
macdee wrote:right banana your just going to have to do it all over again this time with pictures :roll:
Lol ill take a few pics in a bit I need to sort the wiring properly anyway :thumbup:
wiring, I thought it was spaghetti.......... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

thats a spicy meatball eh?! :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good man :thumbup: I can see an increase in used headlight sales now. Quick grab them while you can before the price goes up even more on them. :lol:

I think you have done a fantastic job with them lights. It's gotta be one of the best twin headlight conversions I have seen. It actually look OM and suits the bike, kinda an interpretation of an SP but with round lights.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Cheers carl :thumbup: fraid you'll have to wait for the pics, it's chucking it down here :thumbdown: