Who tours, & where do you get too?

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Garyb

Who tours, & where do you get too?

Post by Garyb »

Recently got into European touring on the bike with Spain being our main target, achieved a 17 & 10 day tour last two years & booked up the ferry to give Portugal a run for its money.
For me It's not always about the how far & how fast you can go, but what you can achieve relaxing along the way.
although not on a VTR, I've included a few short clips from our last trip in September, perhaps next year will be with the twin?

*disclaimer* some viewers may find distressing scenes of motorcycles being ridden slowly & four blokes having a top holiday.

Mods, sorry if In wrong section.
I couldn't find a dedicated video section within the forum?
Please feel free to move/delete as required.

Video one.

Video Two.

Video three.
monkeymatt

Re: Who tours, & where do you get too?

Post by monkeymatt »

Looks like you all had a great time .If only I could be given a gate pass for a tour away with the lads :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Nice footage Gary :thumbup:

I did a 7 day lap of France/Switzerland a few months ago, but only had my camera on for half a day.

To be honest, the next trip i go on will be a bit more relaxing! looks like you had a great time, stopping to enjoy scenery and mucking about with your pals :clap:

Jamie
Jamie :wave:
Garyb

Post by Garyb »

Our secret to a chilled trip, we don't book/plan anything apart from the ferry, we get where we get to.
It could be 100 miles or 300 miles, we just look at the map on the day with a general idea of direction.
We find its Always a good idea to get a couple of nights off in the same place, transforms the trip when you can get 4/5 days riding without luggage.
The lad with the repsol was his first time, he thought we had some kind of a plan, but he soon realised we didn't when we got to the dock exit in Santander and said, okay. Left or Right. :eek2
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

My best trip was to ride to Plymouth and get the ferry to Santander, then ride round the basque region as its superb. Then down Spain to Andorra, into France, along the south French coast. Along to Italy then up to lake Garda. Over the dolomites and alps into Zell am see Austria. Stayed there a week. Then back to England through Germany and Belgium. Numb butt but what a trip.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

some good video there mate, I will say this tho, in catalunya the police are very strict when it comes to crossing solid white lines, spain has fantastic roads that are meant for bikes.... :thumbup:
looks like you had a great laugh, what did you do for accommodation ?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Garyb

Post by Garyb »

I agree agent pineapple.
The guy who designed to roads must have been a biker. Sadly though like most things a lot of the ' good roads' are being bulldozed & dual carriageways laid on top.
The old Yessa road on the N-260/N240 being a prime example.

As for accommodation, the only thing we booked was the ferry, we just headed in a general direction and found digs that we liked the look of, puts less pressure when there are no deadlines and fits in well with our chilled approach to touring, quiet easy to spend a few hours off the bike relaxing/sight seeing.
3 of the places we stayed last year so we already knew the standard.
We got a little bit of a sweat on when we went into the Picos for our last four days, it was the festival of the cross, basically 4 days on the piss for the town of Potes.
We had to do our first night there in a hostel, but headed down and booked our remaining 3 nights at our old faithful.
Seems a long time to be shacked up to some, but there's a great sense of freedom when you can get the luggage off and give the bikes a proper good stretch of the legs, which I suppose leads nicely into the solid whites.... :roll:

To be honest, the only issue we had was at a lake when we inadvertently parked in what was private ground to a hotel, Guardia civil moved us on but that was all really. Oh, and the overtake on the bmw GT was perhaps a bit dodgy by myself :?
It's all about being half sensible at the end of the day, we keep it nice in the city limits and when we get the urge give it beans once you see the red stripe, keeps the local police off your back, especially when shacked up in their town for a few nights,
Must be honest we got a few bizarre looks at some of our overtakes this year, they must just have thought the asylum had let the inmates out on bikes on some of the overtakes we did, first time we toured wearing the ScalaG9's amazing piece of kit, and if you trust your group? You can really keep it all together very nicely :thumbup: