exhaust studs

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geordie

exhaust studs

Post by Geordie »

Hello stormers
compliments of the season to all.
Im planning on replacing my exhaust studs on the storm as ive a new stainless exhaust system to fit and have been tearing my non existent hair out with regard to stainless verses bzp verses plain carbon steel nut material copper brass etc etc
Galvanic corrosion between stainless and the ali cylinder head is to be avoided. . So what is folks opinions on this .. im leaning towards zinc plated studs and loads of copper grease and use stainless nuts or brass nuts .. full threaded m8 size.
Any ideas ?
Cheers folks
Geordie
popkat

Re: exhaust studs

Post by popkat »

I'd just fit standard ones, it's not hard to get to the nuts just remove and re copperslip them once every 6 months, it'll only take a few minutes, the rears aren't really a problem it's just the fronts where they get all the crud and corrosion.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yes i would have perhaps but the new downpipes plates have holes that are for m8 size bolts and id rather have that size .. fit is just much better and stronger i feel .. nothing worse than siezed studs then sheared studs .. !
Its more the material question .. stainless is reported to stick and weld itself to aluminium via galvanic corrosion .. would zinc plating burn off with the heat ? ..
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

popkat wrote:I'd just fit standard ones, it's not hard to get to the nuts just remove and re copperslip them once every 6 months, it'll only take a few minutes, the rears aren't really a problem it's just the fronts where they get all the crud and corrosion.

+1 on that, warm up, and remove, re copper slip and never a prob again. i cut my first nuts off ( comments coming aim sure) rather than try to undo them and risk stripping threads or buggering up the heads. I undo and replace the copperslip 6th monthly.
Last edited by bigtwinthing on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Ha .. !
Afraid im not as tentative as that .. ill not be taking em out until i have to !! .. amazed they came out without too much trouble so threads all ok. So youd say standard carbon steel ? .. are they zinc plated ? ..
simo

Post by simo »

As long as the originals are ok leave them. One job while off the road over Winter was to take the nuts off, clean and copper slip. Do it every year and you'll have no trouble.
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

aparantly aprillia studs are a copper alloy and don't rust,available in usual sizes,i only heard about these through a mechanic friend.and im not entirely sure if mine has them on as the stud is completely covered by the nut.no thread visable at all.definitly not standard,could be interesting first time I try to move them!!!