David Silver Honda Museum opening 2015 in Suffolk

General Bike chat
Wicky

David Silver Honda Museum opening 2015 in Suffolk

Post by Wicky »

Looks like DS is situated in Leiston near the coast - goood for a scratch out to when it gets warmer.

[youtube][/youtube]

This made me chuckle...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 976&type=1
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
macdee

Re: David Silver Honda Museum opening 2015 in Suffolk

Post by macdee »

their must be money in Honda parts

i love museums so this is an other for the bucket list

hope to get there some
day :thumbup:
Last edited by macdee on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
told you not to but oh no you knew better
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

called in ,in the spring to buy some new front pads. all the bikes were just sitting about. they were quite happy for me to have a look around when I asked . perhaps they are making it a more formal/organized type of thing. :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Great video. I love museums as long as they are motorcycle museums.

Last October my VFR and i made the trek to Birmingham Alabama for "Vintage Days" at the Barber Motorsport Park and Museum. It's about 750 mile as the crow flies, but well worth the trip. The museum has displays of just about every motorcycle on earth. On Saturday, at the height of the vintage racing and festivities, the access road around the track is filled with every kind of bike imaginable.

My Bike In front of the museum to prove we made it.

This is a shot from the second floor looking down on just part of the collection. The bottom floor contains the shops where restoration work is done.

This was my favorite part. This is the 'back room" where all the bikes that are not ready for display or, for which there is no room, are housed.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

don't think silvers museum will be quite in that class jim . there was an article in the December issue of practical sportsbike about the barber meet and it it looked fantastic.

leiston (where silvers is ) has got some highspots though :thumbup:

:lol:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lumpyv wrote:don't think silvers museum will be quite in that class jim . there was an article in the December issue of practical sportsbike about the barber meet and it it looked fantastic.
A museum is still a museum as long as it has a couple of bikes in it I'm happy. The video shows some real tasty Honda's. I would love to see 'em.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow that is quite a collection in that museum Jim. All those Triumphs, no wonder there's not many left here.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

cybercarl wrote:Wow that is quite a collection in that museum Jim. All those Triumphs, no wonder there's not many left here.

You have no idea. There are 4 floors in that museum and all of them are wall to wall bikes from the everyday bikes, to vintage, pioneer, board track racers, famous road race bikes and even a collection of 60s F1 cars. You can spend days in there if you like motorcycles. The whole museum back up to the track which is beautiful in and of itself. The whole place is pure quality.

This is the view of turn 1 for the second floor of the museum.

They have 4 floors of this.

They have some really interesting bikes. They all run too.

You guys shipped all the Triumphs over here and I really do appreciate it. The Triumph T150/T160 Trident is one of my favorite motorcycles of all time. When they are built right (and none of them were) they are a smooth running, fast and great handling bike.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

The V12 Kwacker is another "British" bike. Bloomin Americans coming over here...mutter, mutter, mutter

See here http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/wild- ... motorcycle

:beer:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Furrybiker wrote:The V12 Kwacker is another "British" bike. Bloomin Americans coming over here...mutter, mutter, mutter

See here http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/wild- ... motorcycle

:beer:
Yes, as I understand it this is not his first. Barber has a Kawasaki Z900 of his. There are a lot of British bikes in the museum from Arial to Vincent. You guys used to make quite a few bikes I am told.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And what about all those coffins. Do they have bodies in. :lol:

How about one of these.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-30195048

==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Yes, I believe they have a Brough and I know they have at least three Vincents and even a Vincent build lawn mower and a Vincent watercraft. I love 'em all. From the lowly BSA Bantam to the mighty Brough Superior I have always been enamored with British bikes. When I was a kid, a copy of a classic bike magazine from England made its way into my hands. While other kids my age were thumbing copies of Easyriders magazine and dreaming of Harley choppers I was dreaming of TT racers and ancient, big bore, singles. My first real street bike was a 1969 Triumph Trophy 250 with clubman bars. I loved that bike but it hated me. It had a total loss electrical system and I think I pushed it more than I rode it.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:Yes, I believe they have a Brough and I know they have at least three Vincents and even a Vincent build lawn mower and a Vincent watercraft. I love 'em all. From the lowly BSA Bantam to the mighty Brough Superior I have always been enamored with British bikes. When I was a kid, a copy of a classic bike magazine from England made its way into my hands. While other kids my age were thumbing copies of Easyriders magazine and dreaming of Harley choppers I was dreaming of TT racers and ancient, big bore, singles. My first real street bike was a 1969 Triumph Trophy 250 with clubman bars. I loved that bike but it hated me. It had a total loss electrical system and I think I pushed it more than I rode it.
Nope standard fair for old Brit Iron...that's why the Japs took over, far less pushing involved in ownership... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

MacV2 wrote:Nope standard fair for old Brit Iron...that's why the Japs took over, far less pushing involved in ownership... :lol:
Actually the old Lucas fixed magnet/zener diode system was simplistic elegance and it worked. Many a book and article has been written about the demise of the British bike industry. I think it can be summed up in what was wrong with American cars and bikes of that era as well. They were built badly. I worked in a Triumph, Norton, BMW dealer in the waning days of Triumph. I had to rebuild almost every Trident we sold. Harley had to get government tariff protection against the Japanese to give them time to get their act together. In Britain, just to opposite happened to the bike builders. If you look at the bikes of the time, Japan didn't have incredibly better designs (except for Harley who is still stuck in the 1930s) but what they did have was quality construction and good fit and finish.

It's funny but my 250 Triumph got me the job at the bike shop. I happened in there one day, because I like bike shops, and I was talking to the shop owner. I told him my story and that I had this Triumph that would never charge the battery and I didn't know enough about the system to make it work. We went in the back and he pulled the used parts that make up a standard Lucas charging system and explained its operation. I asked a few questions and thanked him for showing me. He asked me a few questions too about where I was working and my mechanical background. We got back up to his workbench and I was standing there and he said "do you want to work for me?" I told him that I had to go quit my old job but that I would be right back. He told me to give my notice and come back when that was done. I spent some great times there and I learned a lot from him.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Great story BigJim59!

A mate used to run Nortons in the 60's, he says that if he was going away for the weekend he would have to take Friday off as well so that he could make sure the bike stood some chance of getting him home.
He never learnt, after the Nortons he went onto Moto Guzzis...