What Bike Mags, do/did you read?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

What Bike Mags, do/did you read?

Post by Mav617 »

I used to be a big Performance Bikes fan back in the '80s, but other than a recent (now expired) subscription to Practical Sportsbike I don't really bother with them anymore. Bet the internet is hurting sales of all kinds of mags :think:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
budd

Re: What Bike Mags, do/did you read?

Post by budd »

late 80s early 90s PB used to be great, properly funny, I used to like the subscription page, 'subscribe or we kill a kitten' etc etc, laugh out loud funny. I’ve got a load of them in the loft I’ll have to dig some out, I could do with a giggle.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Virt

Post by Virt »

Used to have a subscription to RiDE, which I thought was pretty good. These days I don't tend to bother so much unless I just want a magazine to read to throw away a few hours for whatever reason, and I usually just go for whichever I feel has the most interesting content that month.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

When the world was young, I used to get "The Biker" can't remember too much about it but i seemed to buy it month...
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I used to really enjoy "Bike" out of the UK when I could get my hands on one. It was written with an irreverent style that was refreshing after all the American mags and their pandering to the advertisers.Currently I get copies of "Motercyclist" and "Cycle World" which are noting more than California centric motorcycle publications. (They ride all your round in 70 and 80 degree weather, it never rains and they think the rest of the world is like this.) I subscribe to an American publication called "Motorcycle Classics" If you like older bikes this is a good one.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I always hated PB, its a bit of gutter journalism for lads, I always preferred stuff like bike and T.W.O I want to read about bikes if I wanted lads jokes and see semi naked women I would buy Nuts or some other crap lads mag.

I always hated the way they seemed to join in this anti Harley davidson, anti anything sports bike crap as well, the mag truly represented the Sunday riding, romper suited plastic rocket buying reborns whose whole week seemed to centre around showing off dyno reports of the latest bike they will only put 2000 miles on all year before selling it :lol: .

And yeah I love all motorcycles except trails bikes cos I'm to much of a short ass to ride em.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

LOL Storming...
yip, if only wwe all had £M's in the bank then we too could have whatever we wanted every 3 month, some lucky gits on here actually do, but these seam to be the ones that have still got their sence of humour about them..
Personnaly I don't bother what bike people ride, as long as they have one and use it. Same as riding styles- I wont hastle you, if you dont hastle me, I have square tyres for a reason?
Same as when people do crazy mods to them, i dont tend to look at the end result, more what works been put into it. same when people look at mine- yeah its got things still to do, like cover the teal, but it's not going to stop me pottering around on it, if the weather ever improves. Que lots of soft lad comments. (it is what it is, -10 overnight and roads covered in crap- call me soft if you like, but still here.)

As for the mags, same a Virt- pick one up if theres something in it I like, then add it to the pile in the WC for when ever needing that extra bit of time...... research honest...)
Practical sportbike etc are starting to become my ilk.
Whats the point in knowing how fast it is etc on the track if 99% of people will never have it there? Bar room boll0cks-
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

I subscribe to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics and Practical Sportsbikes. Tend to find they deal with a lot of the stuff that was around during my formative biking years (I know, old git alert, that and I like to torture myself by being reminded of what bikes I had, how much I sold them for and what they are worth now....... 8O :lol: )
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

StormingHonda wrote:I always hated PB, its a bit of gutter journalism for lads, I always preferred stuff like bike and T.W.O I want to read about bikes if I wanted lads jokes and see semi naked women I would buy Nuts or some other crap lads mag.

I always hated the way they seemed to join in this anti Harley davidson, anti anything sports bike crap as well, the mag truly represented the Sunday riding, romper suited plastic rocket buying reborns whose whole week seemed to centre around showing off dyno reports of the latest bike they will only put 2000 miles on all year before selling it :lol: .

And yeah I love all motorcycles except trails bikes cos I'm to much of a short ass to ride em.
I used to love reading T.W.O! I felt like my paper round money was responsibly spent :)
Jamie :wave:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i read MCN but only to slag it off. :lol: There always bigging them selves up saying "we said it hear first" Tossers. However there guys can certainly ride, i met Adam Child once on the new Gixer and he was awesome.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I don't read any as they don't have any paint by numbers or dot to dots
budd

Post by budd »

StormingHonda wrote:I always hated PB, its a bit of gutter journalism for lads,
yep that's exactly why I loved it :lol: PB / Superbike for laughs, tits 'n ass, I've still got some 'classic' (although not classy) centre folds pinned up in the garage they must be 20+yrs old but I still can't bear to take them down :thumbup:
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Bike used to be the best out there when it started, Mark Williams, LJK Setright and the rest of the mob were a brilliant team. I subscribed up until Mike Willis took the reigns and got bored with his lightly veiled attempts to make it a political tool rather than a bike magazine, It improved for a few years but now just repeats the price and performance stats of the latest rocket ship. Motorcycle Mechanics was a good read and very useful for guidance with anything mechanical, and with John Robinson on board had one of the best mechanical journalists out there. When he moved on to Performance Bike with Rupert Paul, Mark Forsythe and Kevin Raymond they probably had their best line up for accurate reporting with interesting articles and talented contributors, anyone remember Enid Puceflange, the proprietor and main engineer at NWS engineering who supported PB through some of their builds.
Now I get Practical Sportsbike and Classic Motorcycle mechanics as I am more interested in working on bikes and playing with them rather than how quickly I can drain my bank account buying the latest pointless speed machine and lines and lines of statistics how quickly it gets from 0-200 and back.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hot Fumes does the trick :lol: :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pb, fast bikes, bike and if I'm bored mcn, just for the ads, really.
I have loads of recent back issues if anyone's got a hospital trip booked or needs some holiday reading.
No stains or sticky pages, honest....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.