Forks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
chris vtr virgin

Forks

Post by chris vtr virgin »

I'm hopefully going to get my forks Rogerd in the very near future
But my question is can the forks be removed from bike without having to take fairing off
Have taken them of before and it was a right pain in the butt to refit
Cheers guys
Chris
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Some twins have all the fun !!!!
fabiostar

Re: Forks

Post by fabiostar »

god yes. iv just removed mine,got them serviced and never went near anthing except front guard off and calipers.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
darkember

Post by darkember »

Fairing only take 5 mins to remove
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fairing only take 5 mins to remove
And 15 mins to put back on with a bent front subframe :oops: You could drop the fork stanchions with the fairing on but your making things more difficult for yourself and it would be quicker to have removed the fairing in the first place.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree, normally going on it is easier to take the fairing off to remove the fork legs, and that's what I would do, but I'm sure it can be done with the fairing in place if you really want to,

Chris.
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

I would remove the fairing only takes minutes :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am lazy, I usually don't bother to take the faring off 8O
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Is a fork service an easy(ish) DIY job? Springy bits all sound a bit too vital to be playing with at home.

Anyone got any tips for getting the fairing back on? My bike came with it removed and having tried a couple of time I've given up since I've got plenty to do before I need to fit it. The problem I ran into was the electrics getting in the way, even though they are wrapped up tight in their metal hooks.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote:Is a fork service an easy(ish) DIY job? Springy bits all sound a bit too vital to be playing with at home.

Anyone got any tips for getting the fairing back on? My bike came with it removed and having tried a couple of time I've given up since I've got plenty to do before I need to fit it. The problem I ran into was the electrics getting in the way, even though they are wrapped up tight in their metal hooks.
Best tip is don't take it off in the first place... :lol:

Pick Fairing up with the headlight appox in your crotch...Hold it by the flat top bits that are below the clip ons (well they would be if it was fitted...)

Position your self in front of the bike & shuffle/walk towards bike. As you pass the fairing over the sides it will catch on the rads...pull each side gently apart to clear the rads & you will see the little wings where the top fairing bolt holes are getting close to the brackets. At this point you may need to ''open up'' the fairing a bit more to clear the brackets...Now hook the fairing on these brackets & lower the front down, you can rest it on the wheel, connect the running light now. The head light you can do now or when the faring is on fully.
Now get back in front of the faring lift up push forward until ...a/ the two plastic spikes on the back of the headlight engage in the two rubber bungs on the front subframe...b/ the mirror mounting holes in the faring line up.

If your front subframe is bent or twisted it will never line up correctly !

The electrics you mention shouldn't be in the way, the two bundles should be in rubber 'boots' that both have a plastic coated metal bendy clip things to hold them up against the clocks.

Now at this point I normally fit the mirrors but don't tighten right up...

You should still have a bit of movement to now line up & fit the side bolts into the fairing mounting brackets...again put each one in but do not tighten up completely...

Once all bolts are in, mirrors on, lights connected...don't forget to re connect your indicators... go round & tighten up all the fixings...4x mirror nuts, 4x fairing screws.

There are two more...Squat down & look inside the fairing about level with the mudgaurd the is a mounting point on the fairing & a bracket that comes off the bottom of the rads. As standard these have trim clips in...some say...don't bother with them leave them out...others say use a cabletie instead...

Now someone else will come along & tell you something completely different... :lol: :lol:

But that's how I do it & it works for me...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Cheers MacV2.

That's pretty much what I tried, but the rubber boots were in the way. Sounds like the bendy clip things are in the wrong place or something out of place.

Will persevere.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote:Cheers MacV2.

That's pretty much what I tried, but the rubber boots were in the way. Sounds like the bendy clip things are in the wrong place or something out of place.

Will persevere.
Just squash 'em down a bit...

I've got one of my bikes sans fairing at the mo. I'll take a snap on the morrow & post it here...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They can be a pain if wires are not run exactly like in the cable and harness routing diagram in the Honda workshop manual (Page 1-18), including the direction of the opening end's of the boots. Also give them a squish squash as Mac suggests. Kinda push and tuck them under the subframe. You may have too much loom bunched up there, in which case pull some back and loose it where it clamps on the left side of the frame/headstock

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

MacV2 wrote: I've got one of my bikes sans fairing at the mo. I'll take a snap on the morrow & post it here...
That would be ace. Thanks.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

freeridenick wrote:
MacV2 wrote: I've got one of my bikes sans fairing at the mo. I'll take a snap on the morrow & post it here...
That would be ace. Thanks.
Nice to see it...to see it nice...

From slightly below so you can see the wire runs.

Yes yes I know everyone its dirty & bits of rust...This is Smokin Joe...I haven't done much to it since it arrived...deep clean is part of the master plan.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Looks like I've got all the electrics bunched up too much and too high. They're right under and slightly in front of the clocks.

A picture speaks a thousand words.