Newbie with stupid questions

General Bike chat
Pete

Newbie with stupid questions

Post by Pete »

Hi guys,

I'm new here and thought I'd say hello(and ask some dumb questions in the process)

I'm looking at upgrading this year and am considering either a GSXR or a firestorm. I'm kinda leaning more towards the 'storm as I'm a bit on the tall side and find the firestorm a bit roomier/comfier than most other bikes I've been on(although I havent driven the storm yet).
The v-twin power delivery is also something that attracts me as I've had a few runs on a mates Falco and the twin just pulls like a carthorse.

I'm in Ireland(hope you don't mind micks on this board :D ) and Honda's/firestorms are notoriously expensive second hand here, so I've been toying with the idea of taking a trip over to England to get my new baby instead.

I'm looking to spend about £4000stg(less hopefully as I'll have to fork out VRT when I get back home). What can I expect for that kind of money or a bit less?

Would there be any point in approaching a shop(they're b8stard over here) or should I just chance my arm with a private bike?

I've a couple more questions, but I have to think how best to phrase 'em before I post 'em.

Thanks for any help you're able to send my way,
Peter Brennan.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Hello matey and welcome to the house of fun!

£4k will buy you a decent bike. Probably beter off going private though rather then paying dealer premium. Especially as you wont be in a position to return it to the dealer if there are problems. If I were you I would buy from here or from the yahoo group (vtr1000.co.uk)

Post a note saying you want to buy and one will come along shortly!

Cheers
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers, man:)
Peter Brennan.
Sheltie

Post by Sheltie »

How are things on the Emerald Isle?I was in similar situation to yourself this time last year and I went for the Storm.Prices here in Scotland are high also but not as bad as Eire.I am sure you are aware but the models changed some-what in 2001 to include a much needed larger tank,new dials(fuel gauge and clock)and a revised riding position.I paid £3400 for an immaculate 1 owner,4T,P reg,standard yellow devil from a dealer but I have spent £1000 on bits;so if you can get one with extras already attached,it may pay dividend in the long run.I think that the newer model is a far better bike and I have seen them for about £4000,although not in Scotland - mostly in N.E England and the Midlands.If I may recomend that a set of nice cans (especially high level) look great and really get the best noise from that lovely twin,thereafter the list is almost endless but if you are tall then a Double Bubble screen may also be an option.For an example of prices here in Aberdeen,there are currently 2 Storms in a dealer, P reg both with around 12k on the clocks but very clean,for about £3600 to £3800.Luckily we have great roads,cheap beer and pretty,slim girls to make up for the high prices - not.Good luck with the searching!
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Sheltie wrote:For an example of prices here in Aberdeen,there are currently 2 Storms in a dealer, P reg both with around 12k on the clocks but very clean,for about £3600 to £3800
That same dealer offered me £1900 for my P-reg Storm a few months ago! Eventually got 2200 for it in Cupar but I notice that they are selling it for £3300 now! I'm in the wrong business for sure.

Those two storms in Dennis's shop have been there for about 6 months. For some reason a lot of the dealers don't seem to realise that you can buy a new one down south for £5k - £5.5k and that's for a uk model. How they have the cheak to try and sell a 5 year old bike for 1500 less that you can buy a brand new one amazes me!

Good luck with your search Pete! I'm sure you won't be disapointed. Just watch out for tinkly cam chain noise. If you get one that sounds a bit suspect then get the cam chain tensioners replaced before they take out your engine ( take it from me its not nice when one of them goes 8O :( )

Al.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

I've heard about the ropey camchain tensioners dealie, seems to be a common fault with Hondas.

Good job the wee piece of crap I'm on at the mo' is running gear driven cams :D

I'm gonna keep a sharp eye on the buy/sell section here close to when I have the sheckles to buy.
Peter Brennan.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

in mcn i saw a brand new unregistered 2002 F2E uk storm
(red or blue only) for £5800 & i bet with no trade in you could still get a good discount on that price, or how about a 2000 X plate 9000mls hrc paint job & extras?? for £4500. go on you know it makes sense
:wink:
the scottish dealers have it far to easy selling bikes up here :roll:
Pete

Post by Pete »

how about a 2000 X plate 9000mls hrc paint job & extras?? for £4500. go on you know it makes sense
I'd love to mate, seriously. But I've got to wait 'til the summer for two reasons:

1. I need to get some cash together.

2. My ins. company(Carole Nash) won't insure me on anything decent until I hit 25(in the summer) and even then, they've put a ceiling of group 15 on it.
Hence my interest in the 'storm(gp14).

My current bike is like a torture device at this stage, CBR250's are not designed for 16st blokes over 6ft. The worst thing is my mates keep lending me their bikes, so i've got to go back to it after being on a ZX7, or a falco etc....torture I tells you :cry:
Peter Brennan.
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

When you get your vtr quote at carole nash, ask for malcom nash
get the name? fellow vtr man & a nice chap to :wink: .
he should be able to at least give you a competitive quote on a storm
Pete

Post by Pete »

Cheers & Doh!!! :cry:

If I lived in England things would be so much easier(especially seeing as you just gave me a top lead on a good quote) but over here we have to go through the Dublin office, where we're greeted by staff who seem to give you a different story each time you ring up.

S'pose I can't complain though, they were over a grand cheaper than the only other Irish motorbike insurer when I was getting my cbr.
Peter Brennan.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Right! Thats settled it, I'm getting a Firestorm.

Had a good run on one yesterday and all I can say is...WOW!!!!

I was well surprised at how easily I could chuck it into turns and the torquey goodness from anywhere in the range in any gear was sweet.
It was a pleasure to ride and I decided for definite that I wanted one after about 5km. Returned with a dirty big smile on my face.

One question though, are all firestorms flighty up front? The one I was on felt very loose up there(maybe his head bearings are just buggered though). If its a common characteristic I think I'll be investing in a steering damper when I get it.
Peter Brennan.
Pete

Post by Pete »

ttt for my front-end question... :)
Peter Brennan.
BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

Hey Pete! Greetings from 8 time zones earlier!

Shame about the shipping charges and all that. Otherwise you could pick up a Hawk/Storm here in the states for pretty cheap. On Ebay, at least, it seems that people can't get rid of them. Most of the squids over here, I geuss, want something gaudier.

Anyway, as for the front end when I first bought my used VTR I thought it was a bit loose. However, the head bearings checked out OK. I have found, though, that the front tire pressure is very temperamental regarding the handling qualities. Also, Dunlops SUCK compared to the Metzler M1's the VTR is wearing now.

But I ended up getting a damper anyway. I got the Scotts model. The mounting is very clean, its quite good looking, works very well, and I could be happier.

Have fun!!!!!
There is no replacement for displacement.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks blackhawk!
Peter Brennan.
BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

Your welcome. Also, regarding the GSXR there have been some distinctly unkind things said about that bike in Road Racing World. It seems that one of the teams associated with that rag which races endurance is having to change valves before every race. They are having other problems as well and their contention is that in the effort to be as light as possible Suzuki has removed all of the margin from the design. What they have left is a very fast, very delicate and unreliable motorcycle.

Bruce (aka BlackHawk)
There is no replacement for displacement.