Oil Leak?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
backtobiking

Oil Leak?

Post by backtobiking »

Firstly, I know so many of you on here are very knowledgeable so forgive my ignorance.

I wondered whether anyone can explain why I have a few drops of oil coming from what appear to be breather pipes under my bike?

It's only a small amount and appears very clean. I did top up the oil recently and may have over done it but after one run I drained the excess out. My excuse is that the owners manual is ambiguous, quoting oil between the lines in the inspection window on one page and level with the top line on another?

Any ideas? Much appreciated,

Peter
lloydie

Re: Oil Leak?

Post by lloydie »

If it's coming from the pipe at the front of the right side case in front of the water pump then the water pump seal is on its way out .
backtobiking

Post by backtobiking »

Thanks lloydie, been out to look and it's actually the breather pipe from the coolant reservoir? Doesn't appear to be over full. I suppose that accounts as to why it's so clear
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Make sure it's not over the max line or it will leak out .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Max line being the halfway mark of the bottle. :thumbup:

If its one of the pipes on the left side under and at the front of the generator/stator cover then then it will be fuel vapour build up from the tank breather and/or overflow.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
backtobiking

Post by backtobiking »

Many thanks, re the fuel vapour, is this an issue? Is there anything I need to do?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If it's only the odd drip ie not running out then this is perfectly normal. A breather will naturally allow fuel vapour to be released and this can build back up from a gas to a liquid under the right conditions. This why there are the odd drips from time to time. If you cut/trim the end of the pipe at a diagonal angle so it ends in a point then this helps with releasing the drips which as is, tend to get stuck and build up around the exit hole of the pipe causing a more noticeable bigger drip. Note that fuel leaks can often be misdiagnosed as oil as there is often a build of of engine oil/grease around the pipes. There is also the coolant overflow to throw into the mix too.

The first thing I would do is clean and tidy the area and monitor things. Also note that the gasket area around the stator cover is a common area for an oil leak which being positioned where it is can sometimes drip off the coolant/breather pipes or even run along and drip of the end so it's worth cleaning around the cover too.

If you have not got one already you can download the Honda workshop manual from the following link. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
backtobiking

Post by backtobiking »

Much appreciated, thanks