gear issue.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
xdaddyxspudx

gear issue.

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

afternoon all.

some may seen me on here recently with cct failure. wat a pa lava that was.

since then got a spare engine and the bore of my engine was chipped.

brought a running engine straight out the frame. was no apperent issues.

stripped my bike down and rebuilt it back up

since riding it say 20 miles ive had nothink but issues with 2nd gear dropping back into neutral.

ive changed the oil nothink specail just temp to flush the engine to replace with some motol 5000 10w40.

ive moved the gear lever several times to see if thats the issue with it droppin back into gear.

it only seems to happy when i hold the clutch in and slip it into 2nd and go to release, if the rev arnt over 2k it drops back into neutral but if its over 2.5/3k it will carry on.

ive tried dry clutching 1st / 2nd works fine as long as i keep the rev up over 2k ive gone from 3rd to 2nd when slowing down and that was ok as log as the revs didnt drop to far.

im at the end of patience with the old girl at the moment and close to selling up.

ive a spare engine with all gear related parts which where working fine in my engine.

im here looking for some advice and assistance

thanks jamie
lloydie

Re: gear issue.

Post by lloydie »

Swap the gear boxes over as it sound like your gear selectors are warn .
Normally from to many wheelies
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

dosent that involve splittng the engine.

ive got the parts of course just tired of things goin wrong know.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes you need to drop the engine and split the cases
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Start with checking and adjusting you gear selector linkages. You may find that moving one clip around on the spline for a shorter shift may help.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ft#p336739

1st to 2nd is always a bit clunky on these bikes but it should not jump out of gear.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

hi buddy.

yes I've been playing with it all day ( head out of gutter)
I went as far as it wont go into first then worked my way bk up and found a nice spot but still when I slip into 2nd it jumps out in N.

seems when letting go of clutch and it's engage it's slips to N. but if I don't use clutch and dry clutch it it's ok as long as I don't let the few drop to much and keep on the power others wise it drops to N again with out touching the gear lever.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sounds like a rounded dog on second gear.

Kind of a common thing on a bike that has been, sorry to say, abused.

This damage normally happens on a bike that is wound up in 1st and then slammed into 2nd.
The other gears usually don't see damage as the rider tends to chicken out after that as things start to happen pretty fast, at least for a noobie.

The only fix is to replace at least second gear in thew box and possibly a a couple other gears.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

hi thank u for message.

Wat would that Intel as this engine at moment was a spare from a breaker so no idea of previous ragging.

I've all the spare parts from my own engine. it's the knowledge to know how really. only just put her bk together lol
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Big_Jim59 Has his storm cases apart to fix knocking cranky bearings http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 07#p367707 Have a read through his thread/s to get an idea of the amount of dismantling needed to get at gearbox.

A downloadable Honda Service manual is in the Workshop knowledgebase. Hopefully you've got a shed to work in and space to spread the bits & bobs.

Where are you located as there might be someone near you who can get it done - Thinking Of Roger at Revolution Racing or TonyM in Kent if they have the time and inclination in their busy schedules.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

I'll have a scan threw that tomoz.

unfortunately I'm a back yard kinda guy. I do have a space I can go if my father in law allows it.

I've had members like Gabi with ccts help n other help. and I've spoken with Tony with heads issues plan to try n contact him with the same issue.

unfortunately not many members close to me.
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Definately worn dogs.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

xdaddyxspudx wrote:I'll have a scan threw that tomoz.

unfortunately I'm a back yard kinda guy. I do have a space I can go if my father in law allows it.

I've had members like Gabi with ccts help n other help. and I've spoken with Tony with heads issues plan to try n contact him with the same issue.

unfortunately not many members close to me.
This is Jim's spin off thread 'splitting cases' from the one above I linked to > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 05#p374130

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

I see two options here.

Option 1: Take the motor back to the wrecker and exchange it for a good one and this time ask him what the mileage was of the bike it comes out of. He should know this. If he says he doesn't know then it's a high mileage bike.

Option 2: Split the crankcases. It's not that hard. Just follow the workshop manual, work slowly and read a lot on forums how to do the reassembly. Especially with the use Hondabond, Yamabond or an equivalent like threebond 1194 as the cases go back together. BTW it would be Yamabond #4, there are many types of Yamabond. Anyway lots of info on the web. And lots of advice on here from knowledgeable people that have done this sort of work previously.

Give it a go.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000