Red with white numberboard seen in Inverness shop window...

Spotted another fellow Stormer? See if it was anyone on here!
TheGingerBeardMan

Red with white numberboard seen in Inverness shop window...

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Driving down Academy Street today in Inverness. I stopped at the traffic lights, glanced to my left into a shop window, and there was a red storm, with a white numberboard, looking back at me.

I waved....and so did he (spookily at the same time!)

Looked pretty clean from where I was sitting, but couldn't hear his for the noise mine was making. We both pulled away at the same time.

What are the chances of that? Having the same bike, wearing the same jacket and helmet too, and being at that exact spot at the same time of the day?
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Re: Red withy white numberboard seen in Inverness shop windo

Post by lloydie »

You need to give me some of your drugs ! Please
countrymick

Re: Red with white numberboard seen in Inverness shop window

Post by countrymick »

mirror shop front??? !!!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

hmmm...

GBM I may have missed it if you posted elsewhere but how are you getting on with DVLA and your licence business. ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

lumpyv wrote:hmmm...

GBM I may have missed it if you posted elsewhere but how are you getting on with DVLA and your licence business. ??

I think we should have a vote:
and then revoke it! Obviously too insane to be allowed out on his own :crazy:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
TheGingerBeardMan

lloydie wrote:You need to give me some of your drugs! Please
They're mine I tell ya....ALL MINE! Mwahahahaha! :twisted: Legally stoned most nights with goodies such as Diazepam and Oramorph. Add a few cans of Guinness or glasses of JD and sit back and watch the pretty colours climb up the walls!

I NEED this T-shirt:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lumpyv wrote:how are you getting on with DVLA and your licence business?
Still waiting on the DVLA to process their info. Still haven't received a medical yet, depsite sending everything back in May.

But, I've spoken to a few "legal people" (biking badger) the MAG (motorcycle Action group) and a guy that used to be in the BAB (Bikers advice bureau) and they said the same as grumpyfrog said when he dropped by to collect BrianCs tank. The fact that I have not been court banned from the road, and the fact that I am still on DVLA record in having a valid licence up till my 70th Birthday, and the fact that I had to send my licence back to "get amended" due to medical condition....no-one has told me directly I cannot drive. I was told yt6o wait until I get a medical from DVLA, then depending on the level of fitness, I will be issued with a new, temporary licence, for either 1, 3 or 5 years.

Having got the biking badger to do some more research on my behalf, I WILL indeed be getting a 3 year licence....and it's yet to be processed. It could take a few weeks more yet....but I still haven't had the medical! So, someone at the DVLA medical bit (team 16) has provisionally granted a new licence, without need for a test resit, but also not processed the request for the medical.

So, end result (and a lot of waffle missed out|, we all say "sod it....keep driving". Know when to check my bloods, when not to drive, and if I get stopped from the Plod, then I tell them: "as far as I am aware...I am not banned from the road, and am waiting on a new licence. And I'm still on the database as having a certificate of entitlement to drive"

I had the Hospital in Aberdeen yesterday (roughly 50 miles away) for the diabetes clinic for HBA1C test, insulin checking and general fitness. Consultant asked "how did I get here".....then said "cancel that" as I was stood in me leathers and carrying a bike helmet.

I carry test strips, insulin, tablets, glucose treatment in case of Hypos, test meter, and the bike is stickered on the screen with "diabetic rider" (not a legal requirement).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the very short bursts of decent weather, I ain't gonna sit on my butt and wait for the postman. I need to ride NOW. The new Battlax T30 Evos are WELL bedded in, and I'm having oodles of fun on them. Maybe a bit too much fun, and acting like a total loony and d1ckhead on the bike - giving it the berries wherever the road conditions allow. Every run so far has the bike at 140 (and some more) in as many areas that will be safe to do it, and is easily within my capabilities.

If I'm gonna kill myself, it'll be done knowing that I haven't taken anyone else with me. The only thing that would let me down at that speed would be mechanical. Chain or puncture. Or CCTs exploding and mashing me engine into ickle bits.

With all the medical sh1t including diabetes, heart, lungs (now on nebuliser and inhalers) they've said I'll be dead in 5 years. To not do the lottery...cos I won't live long enough to spend it all. So, my attitude now, as it was when they said it, is, "well....f^ck it then!".

To quote Hunter S Thompson:
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a "pretty and well preserved" body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Problem is unfit drivers have slipped through the system as Docs/Police have assumed DVLA/Insurance companys/Opticians are responsible. As a biker working in the local hospital I've had to have a word with doctors to take positive steps in getting obviously incapapable drivers off the road for the danger they present to themselves and others which I have no regrets for, i.e. when they've been in for appointments for cataracts and have only been able to drive in by following the car in front closely, or even doddery elderly when it has resulted in them losing a part of a lifetime's means of independence. I've been on the other side after suffering a heart attack and was advised not to ride for a month. And then following an operation on my leg where I tried to get on an ride before the staples were out but I was unable to bend it sufficiently to use the gears, which curtailed my ability to ride.

As this can well happen

[youtube][/youtube]

Resulting in

'Cassie's Law': DVLA licence removal changes welcomed > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-21293328
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Yup Wicky - I understand all that and appreciate the concerns. :thumbup:

My Retinography test shows good eyesight. I can still pass the driving sight requirements and have read the chart to above the acceptable limit. I've been tested for neuropathy, and my fingers and feet are fine. The consultant in charge said on the DVLA form, that she saw no reason to withhold my being able to ride, as I'm on a low dose of insulin, and am still in a good enough state of health to ride a bike. There are others at the clinic worse than me, and they drove by car on the 1 year licence.

I HAVE had a minor heart attack, and that was caused by being discovered Type1 diabetic. I have notified my insurance company, and told them about medical changes. I informed the DVLA, and have done all they wanted. I have been assured I'll get a temporary licence back, but will still no-doubt get the medical in due course.

I too have also (over the many years of riding), been pinned, plated, screwed and glued through a few nasty spills and encounters. I still rode with my crutches slung over my back. I adapted the bike to a suicide shift and never went onto a main road, but kept to private roads purely having to have the need to still get on a bike and ride, and not sit and fester.

When I broke my leg on another occasion, and was still fresh in full plaster, I borrowed a Ural outfit (old sidecar/combination) and rode that, cos I could stop, and not worry about putting my feet down. That had a tank change system fitted, and we made a rest so my leg could sit out in front. I attended my hospital appointments on that. They laughed every-time they saw me come down the corridor. (the crutches were carried in the sidecar). They also gave me a b0llocking for still riding a bike. But, many don't understand it's like a guy with a heroin addiction, or a person with a bad alcoholism. Riding is a drug, and it would take a hell-of-a-lot to stop me trying, even when pinned and plastered up. Or, on another occasion, an arm in plaster (yes, you can still ride with one arm free and have good control - you just have to temporarily adapt the bike). The only thing I struggled with was kicking the Ural combination over to start her each time. But soon developed a knack of getting her going. Having a reverse gear helped immensely when parking too!

At the DVLA medical, they will assess eyesight, limb function, medication, and if I am aware of the dangers of Hypoglycemia, and what to do when it occurs (test every 2 hours before riding, and not ride when the levels are too low. In that case, I stop bike, park up, remove keys and step off the bike....take hypo treatment, and wait till the fresh blood glucose test shows a normal range)

As I CAN demonstrate the ability, and have no other cause for their concerns, they cannot take me off the road. I'm still as sharp as a tack on the road. If (or when) I get the licence back with the new details, and things change for the worse at a later date (when the 3 years are up), then I am aware that I can make the decision to quite riding, or accept the fact that my bike days are over.

But, until that happens. I'll still be out there. Riding when I can. If I lose a leg or foot through diabetes, then I can adapt the controls to suit. If I loose both legs, then I'll go down the Trike route.

If I lose my eyesight, then I'm fooked - but will be asking for pillion rides or sidecar trips.

The only 3 ways that will stop me riding, is to permanently revoke my licence on medical grounds, or I kill myself on the bike, or I die in me sleep!

:Beer Popcorn:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They're mine I tell ya....ALL MINE! Mwahahahaha! :twisted: Legally stoned most nights with goodies such as Diazepam and Oramorph. Add a few cans of Guinness or glasses of JD and sit back and watch the pretty colours climb up the walls!
Aw man.....how I crave a buzz like that again. I can't go there though as it's a road I may not come back from. :roll: That's a nice little cocktail you have there but I would stay off the alcohol and find some other pharmaceuticals to throw into the mix for the night cap instead. A little toot of special K maybe. :lol:

[youtube][/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bCIGHat8Rc

Slightly off topic the Piper cover photo above was taken by a very close friend of mine.

GBM I wish you all the best and hope things work out for you so you can ride the rest of your life out as you please. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

FSAP (FireStormAddictionProgram)

Hello my names Mac & i'm addicted to Stormin'...I've had 5 & a half of them since 2006...I'm down to two & a 1/4 now so it's getting better...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

MacV2 wrote:FSAP (FireStormAddictionProgram)

Hello my names Mac & i'm addicted to Stormin'...I've had 5 & a half of them since 2006...I'm down to two & a 1/4 now so it's getting better...
I also suffer from this affliction, I've had 8 since 2010, I now have only two, soon to be one. it's been a long tough road, but i'm improving all the time.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:As I CAN demonstrate the ability, and have no other cause for their concerns, they cannot take me off the road. I'm still as sharp as a tack on the road. If (or when) I get the licence back with the new details, and things change for the worse at a later date (when the 3 years are up), then I am aware that I can make the decision to quite riding, or accept the fact that my bike days are over.
I feel for you GBM. I would be the same. Sounds like you are making the best of a bad situation and if you end up with a couple of tickets for driving like a lune :wink: lets hope you have to serve them after they've revoked your licience :lol:
Hope it long time away :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Having had the pleasure in meeting the GBM in the flesh, I can only smile at his posts.
If his riding is any way reflected in the way he keeps his bike we have nothing to worry about. Pristine.
We did chat about licences a fair bit, hell, at least he has one. I know many a person who don't.

PMA all the way lad.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I shouldn't have one but it don't stop me from riding. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
TheGingerBeardMan

grumpyfrog wrote:PMA all the way lad.
Mostly the middle part....but wi' a muckle dose o' the last!

8O :P Image