Underseat fuel storage

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RickTheHuman

Underseat fuel storage

Post by RickTheHuman »

Has anyone ever tried to fit some sort of emergency fuel storage under the seat? looks as though there is enough room.
I intend to use a couple of 1Litre MSR fuel bottles and fab some sort of secure cradle to take the place of the toolkit and J lock moulding.
It will only be 2 litres but its better than nothing I suppose.
Anyway I will post my progress results here soon.

Cheers
I lika do tha cha cha
MacV2

Re: Underseat fuel storage

Post by MacV2 »

Not tried it, not even thought of it...2l of fule under ya elbow...quite close to the rectumfrier...NO thanks... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You crack me up mac :lol:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

alanfjones1411 wrote:You crack me up mac :lol:

leave off the sex talk pls. :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I gave some serious thought to using part of my top box to carry extra fuel, not connected or anything to the bike, just a flat 5ltr metal fuel can, I was going to use expanding spray builders foam to make a good moulded base for it to sit in, the idea came about because of riding in a part of the world where it's easy to get caught out and not be able to find a petrol station for miles. I haven't totally ruled out the idea, but the thought of having 5ltrs of fuel behind me if I was to come off, isn't a nice thought.
as for a few ltrs under the seat, I wouldn't risk it, not unless you can fabricate a strong little tank and your very skilled at that sort of thing.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

The small Ali Smeg tanks are good for 2 x 1 ltr cans. I kept 2 of these on my Scrambler for years. Just Bungeed,d onto the rear subframe, when i got low on the tank i just filled it up with these to get me to a garage.
CruxGNZ

Post by CruxGNZ »

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

yep just like a smeg bottle.
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

agentpineapple wrote:I gave some serious thought to using part of my top box to carry extra fuel, not connected or anything to the bike, just a flat 5ltr metal fuel can, I was going to use expanding spray builders foam to make a good moulded base for it to sit in, the idea came about because of riding in a part of the world where it's easy to get caught out and not be able to find a petrol station for miles. I haven't totally ruled out the idea, but the thought of having 5ltrs of fuel behind me if I was to come off, isn't a nice thought.
as for a few ltrs under the seat, I wouldn't risk it, not unless you can fabricate a strong little tank and your very skilled at that sort of thing.
You already have at least the double amount of fuel in between your legs.. I don't think those 2 liters behind you would make a big difference if you would come off (under the condition that it's a well made tank as you say already).

As for the bottle used at the Superhawk forum, I'd rather(have someone) weld my own little tank of quality material (let's say stainless steel) that fits nicely than using those kind of bottles.
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
macdee

Post by macdee »

told you not to but oh no you knew better
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

yeh a smeg bottle
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nothing wrong with a bit of fuel floating around in your undercarriage as long as it's contained. It's the vapour that is flammable not the liquid.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
RickTheHuman

Post by RickTheHuman »

Good replies all around cheers!
Still at the drawing board stage, I should say that I am not intending to plumb the bottles in, Just pour them in the main tank.
Thinking I will cut away the required amount of underseat moulding tray and fab an aluminium cradle to hold two bottles and secure with hose clamps.
I have no probs sitting on a couple of litres in nice thick purpose made containers. In an accident situation I am worried about the 16 litres between my legs on top of the 9000rpm hot lump of metal,
I lika do tha cha cha