Honda, Edwards, Rossi?

Any racing related stuff
Pete

Honda, Edwards, Rossi?

Post by Pete »

With Colin Edwards getting shafted out of a MotoGP ride by Honda, is it just me that thinks it was done partly because Colin would've stolen some of Rossi's thunder?

Hurts me to say it, but I'll be following Aprilia(Edwards & Haga) in the GP's this year.
Peter Brennan.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Dunno what politics were behind it all to be honest, but thats definitely a possibility.

Much as I like Honda's bikes, I've never really supported them when it comes to racing. I'll always root for ducati, yam or aprillia first. Strange or what.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Pete

Post by Pete »

Yeah, weird. I was up for Edwards to win last year, but I got a hell of a buzz off watching that madman Haga on his Mille.

Incidentally lads, I bought the WSB2002 review from Duke a couple of weeks ago, its well worth the sheckles. They show extended highlights of every round and have a spanky track review/test of all the competing bikes.

Plus you get to see Haga tearing it up.
Peter Brennan.
BlackHawk

Post by BlackHawk »

Colin definitely got shafted. But I don't think it had anything to do with his riding. Face it, Honda could have had any rider it wanted. So why didn't they pick all of the top five?

Image. That's why. They aren't really in the business of winning races. They are in the business of selling motorcycles. And to do that they need marketing. And for marketing they need personality.

Colin is a bit rough around the edges. He uses words like "sh1t" in public interviews and if he was independently wealthy he would still race but would probably avoid cameras like the plague.

Which explains Honda's pick to be Rossi's teammate. Nicky Hayden has a distinct boy-ish appeal, a very genuine smile, "down home" handsomeness, good manners, and what we in the states refer to as the "all American look" - not sure what that phrase means to those of you on Greenwich time.

Basically, Hayden's persona, charisma, and charm are similar to Rossi's, and as long as he has some success he will reflect well on Honda, help promote their desired image, and help sell motorcycles.

If all they wanted to do was win all the podium spots this year then Honda would likely have chosen Edwards. Based on some of his test times on the Cube he is looking competitive, whereas Hayden largely "flailed" at Sepang, being over two seconds off Rossi's pace.

Which is not intended as any disrespect to Nicky. For those who don't follow AMA racing, Nicky basically dominated last season's Superbike contest in much the same way that Rossi dominated MotoGP. Hayden was virtually unbeatable, and was remarked to be possibly "the best there ever was". Sound familiar? Seems I recall the same being said about Rossi. So, while Nicky was having learning pains in Malaysia it must be remembered that he is barely 21 years old and will likely grow to be much better than he is now. Colin Edwards, meanwhile, is older and more mature and probably closer to his prime now, without much growing yet to happen.

Frankly, if Aprilia remains dedicated to success then I expect Colin will do great things in the next year or two. However, if the recruiters at Honda are correct, then Nicky Hayden will be a dominant force in the years thereafter. Meanwhile, he is a nice, clean cut, handsome, young role model for those youngsters with the price of a motorcycle in their pockets who don't know if they should buy Honda or Suzuki. "But wait!" "Nicky Hayden rides a Honda!!!!!!!"

Marketing.
There is no replacement for displacement.
Pete

Post by Pete »

He uses words like "sh1t" in public interviews and if he was independently wealthy he would still race but would probably avoid cameras like the plague.
LOL, thats one of the reasons I like Edwards.
Peter Brennan.