Wear on the edge of the tyre

General Biker Banter
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

On my ride home I go through a tight twisty section compromising of a left-right-left-left-right-right left , it has tree walls either side and every bend is blind ,anyway just before entering this section a small group of bikes come out of it and gave the "nod",
Not one gave me the slowdown wave to let me know what was about to happen !.
On exciting the 3rd left and setting up for the next right I see a tractor on my side of the road ,it was overtaking a cyclist!, there was 2f gap to the left of it so I headed for that with the brakes on full , had I'd been a lighter guy the bike would of stood me up (thank goodness I'm a fatty) . I made it out the section with a very high heart-rate and a little lighter :show elbow: .
All those fecking "motorcycle enthusiast" had to do was pass on a little warning .
Not to mention the farmer overtaking on a blind bend ,it's not bad enough at the moment with them covering the roads in crap they have to fill my new trousers with it too .
lloydie

Re: Wear on the edge of the tyre

Post by lloydie »

Watty wrote:Erm Lloydie we've lost and nearly lost too many "brothers" thank you :(
Don't worry I've slowed right down now I'm a full time biker .
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

As lloyd rightly says, yes I did make it to the edge of the m7rr's on the front and it is a good feeling as when you look at the profile it has a silly curve on it. You should only try for that lean angle on the track though as I was achieving gp style lean angles. I wouldn't recommend it on the road. You may also find dropping the front down the forks a little may help with the wear bit as long as your comfy and safe what's it matter. Keep the silly stuff for the track.

I've learnt that all to well :roll:

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Actually,
it also has to do with the geometry of the bike as well as the shape of the tyre. I've had the SP off the edge on the rear with the Metzler M7RRs but the front was nowhere near. I also counter steer but that would only make a mm or 2 in my opinion and I'm not aware of doing it on the apex or maximum lean. More often for a faster turn in or to keep a line when on the power on the way out of a bend.
If the bike is feeling natural and lets you control where you pick a line and isn't trying to steer for you I would say your bike geometry is pretty close to correct and that's just the way the tyres are on your bike and not to worry about it.

Just remember Lloydie's bike is basically a canoe with an engine, its so long so you have to lean it over further to get it around the same radius corner and CK keeps falling off. I wouldn't listen to either of them for cornering advice :wink:

Pete.l
Last edited by Pete.L on Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I agree with Pete. I regularly ride both my VFR800 and VTR, and run the same tyres (MeZ8 Metzelers) in the same sizes on both. I think I corner equally quickly on both bikes, yet I have wear right to the edge of the front on the VTR but about 3mm clear on the VFR, so I think the comment on geometry is probably correct.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I don't listen to myself, I'm to busy talking .
Pete is a wise man :thumb up:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

ImageImage

See what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Cadbury64 wrote:ImageImage

See what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These pictures support what I was trying to explain, the profile off the tyres pictured are nothing like the profile of the latest Dunlop and some of the other leading manufactures which are far more rounded than that, but it only seems to be on the front tyre, the rear tyres look the same as normal.
IIoydie just regain your faith in Motorcyclists, I was out riding around Yorkshire on the SP on Saturday, on my way home I came over the top from from Holme Firth to join the Woodhead Pass, at the junction there was a young guy on the side of the road with a bike on it's stand on the grass, he was looking a bit confused and a car was just driving off, I thought it all looked a bit strange, so pulled over to check it out, anyway it turns out that the car had turned into him at the junction, hit him side on, hitting his leg and knocked him off, luckily all this was at slow speed.
The bike wasn’t damaged much, but he was limping and couldn’t put his foot down, he said it’s ok I’m fine I’ll carry on, he was a young rider, I’d say about 28, I told him not to and that he should sit down for half an hour or so before riding again as he will be in shock and won’t realise it, anyway I stayed with him while he settled and I finally convinced him to go home.
So see some of us are still proper bikers :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I know many on here are true blood bikers , I've seen it first had especially from you cheekykev ,
My faith in the locals is gone ,
I gave the nod to one this morning and he gave me the finger !
Watty

Post by Watty »

lloydie wrote:I know many on here are true blood bikers , I've seen it first had especially from you cheekykev ,
He obviously knows you :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
budd

Post by budd »

[/quote]
That is true , but some people and myself in the past has held onto the bars to tight in a bend and not allowing the bike to find its natural balance , this I've found has stopped me from leaning more so not using more of the tyre .[/quote]

very true it's very easy to over grip the bars which causes alsorts of problems best way to reduce the amount you grip the bars is to use your knees to grip the tank, stompgrip or similar really helps here, I know it can look a bit unsightly but honestly I wouldn't want to ride without it. Gripping with your knees allows you to relax your arms, it's surprising how much difference it makes to the feel of the bike, rather than fighting with it you sort of flow with it.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Watty wrote:
lloydie wrote:I know many on here are true blood bikers , I've seen it first had especially from you cheekykev ,
He obviously knows you :lol:
Yep , I would of turned around and kicked him off but he would of arrested me ! Fecking coopers
t13ony

Post by t13ony »

I ride Michelin Road pilot 2's I have no chicken strips on the rear and a couple of mm on the front...
I would agree with anyone that says modern tyres are designed to ride this way. I ran Bridgestone battlaxes on my last bike (cb400) nd it was the same story, I counter steer quite heavily, especially 2's up. So maybe my riding style?...
but that's just me being open minded.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i normally have little chicken strips on the front tyre on the road but track days the little strips tun into little balls of rubber and the back one throws little bits of rubber over the rear body work..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: