Fitting CCT's shortcut?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Roly

Fitting CCT's shortcut?

Post by Roly »

I need to fit manual CCT's in one of my Storms, Ive looked at the workshop instructions and actually ok with the procedure and have rebuilt the front head and put auto cct in for now timed up and running great.

A couple of people Ive met have just replaced the cct's without the precautionary timing checks and removing the cam covers etc. ie, they just unscrew the old ones and fit the new ones. Finger tight, recheck when hot etc.

Has anyone here done this? Obviously the time changing them is noticeable, but are they just lucky or is it safe to just pop the old out and refit with manuals and set??
Mid cheshire

Too old really!
Watty

Re: Fitting CCT's shortcut?

Post by Watty »

Brave/silly! Take your pick!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

CCT Russian Roulette...

http://bayesianthink.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... gkQk7SNhQU
A couple of people Ive met have just replaced the cct's without the precautionary timing checks and removing the cam covers etc. ie, they just unscrew the old ones and fit the new ones. Finger tight, recheck when hot etc.
Was this on IL4s or VTRs?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Roly

Post by Roly »

VTR's

Its not something I would have recommended, its just meeting owners who have done it and 'got away with it'.

Other bikes don't have the same potential problem.

Don't get me wrong, its very unlikely I would 'chance' doing the shortcut, Im more interested how many have actually done it and been 'lucky'!
Mid cheshire

Too old really!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I was told about short cut, but didn't take the chance. As been said Russian roulette,your choice. :confused
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
darkember

Post by darkember »

If you really don't want to remove the rocker covers then use the chopstick method. Take both plugs out and insert a chopstick till is sit on the piston crown. Crank the engine as normal till the chopstick reaches the highest point, check the timing marks for the cylinder you are working on through the timing window. An assistant will be handy to do the cranking. Note: not full proof as you cannot see the position of the cams and therefore you may be at TDC for the dead cycle.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't jam anything, chopsticks oir screwdriver in there and crank the engine. If it snaps off you will have to remove the head.
If you're going to do this only turn the engine with a socket on the crankshaft, NOT with the starter button....
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Personally I wouldn't mess about, remove both cam covers and make sure you're doing the job properly, it's not that much more work,

Chris.
Roly

Post by Roly »

sirch345 wrote:Personally I wouldn't mess about, remove both cam covers and make sure you're doing the job properly, it's not that much more work,

Chris.
:thumbup:

Its how I did the front head and checked the rear. The real point was that some don't do it properly and 'get away with it' wonder if some have tried, its not worked, but not owned up!
Mid cheshire

Too old really!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

darkember wrote:If you really don't want to remove the rocker covers then use the chopstick method. Take both plugs out and insert a chopstick till is sit on the piston crown. Crank the engine as normal till the chopstick reaches the highest point, check the timing marks for the cylinder you are working on through the timing window. An assistant will be handy to do the cranking. Note: not full proof as you cannot see the position of the cams and therefore you may be at TDC for the dead cycle.

you can blow air down the inlet and see if it comes out the plug hole, if it does , your not on Comp stroke. as the inlet valve is open! Try turning another revolution etc and do the same again.
Last edited by bigtwinthing on Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It is actually quite simple..... what is worth more to you, an hour of your time or your engine?

You can and folks have come up with "short cuts" but the down side to all of them is that if done wrong the engine destroys itself.

So the choice is yours, do the job the "right" way or take a chance and save yourself around an hour but wonder if the engine will grenade or not.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Watty

Post by Watty »

sirch345 wrote:Personally I wouldn't mess about, remove both cam covers and make sure you're doing the job properly, it's not that much more work,

Chris.
+1 Do it right once! :wink:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Watty wrote:

Chris.
+1 Do it right once! :wink:
the problem is, some guys think they have done it right and maybe 1 tooth out or worse etc. Some people know the "Suck, squeeze,bang,blow theory, but haven't a clue about the timing. etc.

When i employ engineers on the Gas Engines ( not to be for much longer yahoo) i always ask about 5 questions about engines.

"Whats Valve overlap" is the favourite. You would be amazed what answers i get. Second is "Whats the advantage of twin overhead cams"
Some don't know!

Its best left alone if you don't know etc.imho of course
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Roly wrote:

Chris.
:thumbup:

Its how I did the front head and checked the rear. The real point was that some don't do it properly and 'get away with it' wonder if some have tried, its not worked, but not owned up!
You could be right there :)

I have heard of one or two that changed a CCT without setting the valve timing first 8O Now that is lucky to get away with that I'm sure :wink: :)

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I wrote something on this once and to be honest most of the folk who have just pulled a tensioner and shoved another one in has got away with just plain old dumb luck.
There is a way to do it like this, safely, it can be done, but you have to know what you are doing. I didn't want to be responsible for people buggering their engine so I remove it.
The simple reason you shouldn't just remove the tensioner is the cam springs are too strong to let you get away with removing tension from the timing chain. If the cam lobes aren't in the right position the springs will force the cams to rotate as soon as the tension is released and your timing will move.

Do it right, do it once. Do it wrong :crazy: :crazy:
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal