agentpineapple

long lost nortons

Post by agentpineapple »

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Re: long lost nortons

Post by AMCQ46 »

it was in 2010, so don't go rushingout to bid on them.................. :lol:

Marty I assume you are thinking about your Blue bike when you are that slow to the party :Beer Popcorn:
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:it was in 2010, so don't go rushing out to bid on them.................. :lol:

Marty I assume you are thinking about your Blue bike when you are that slow to the party :Beer Popcorn:
hahahahahaha
my bad, I was thinking of playerones bike actually........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
also duffys streetfighter..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

agentpineapple wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:it was in 2010, so don't go rushing out to bid on them.................. :lol:

hahahahahaha
my bad, I was thinking of playerones bike actually........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
also duffys streetfighter..... :wink:

not to mention Flatlines caferacer or Virts virginity
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to see the Norton's again 8)

I just find it sad that we used to build so many different British motorcycles in this country, now we only produce on a mass scale "Triumph"

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:Good to see the Norton's again 8)

I just find it sad that we used to build so many different British motorcycles in this country, now we only produce on a mass scale "Triumph"

Chris.

there built in Britain, not many british bits though.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Chris.
You know it is but I don't think it could be helped. Learning to deal with a true global economy takes time and time is something the British bike industry didn't have. My old boss had his take in things. He said that the winners of the war were left with the old and worn machine tools where as the losers were bombed to rubble, particularity Japan. When the Japanese turned to manufacturing after the war it was with loans and new machine tools from the west.

The owner of the bike shop I used to work at had kept a number of bikes, still in the crate. He had two Nortons, one Commando and one Interstate. He had a 500 Gold Star, not the original BSA Gold Star but the unit construction one. He had a couple of Triumphs in crates too. He had a number of as new but uncrated bikes like a Triumph Hurricane. This was the Craig Vetter designed T150 for the American market. He also had an AJS with a Indian Chief motor stuffed into the frame. It was a very nice looking conversion and it actually ran really well. He had a Velocette Venom that was impossible to start with that stubby kicker. He had a Greeves Griffon, the loudest bike I have ever heard. He had three factory type Triumph three cylinder road race fairings hanging from the ceiling in the parts room. There was all kinds of bikes and parts.

When his friend and partner died suddenly, he lost all heart and called a company that specialized in old bike parts to come and bit on everything. They hauled it away 6 semi trucks full and that was that.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:

Chris.

there built in Britain, not many british bits though.
I think that is the same for most vehicles built today if not for all, regardless of which country they are built in. It's just a different era, things are done differently than they were years ago.
Big_Jim59 wrote:

Chris.
You know it is but I don't think it could be helped. Learning to deal with a true global economy takes time and time is something the British bike industry didn't have. My old boss had his take in things. He said that the winners of the war were left with the old and worn machine tools where as the losers were bombed to rubble, particularity Japan. When the Japanese turned to manufacturing after the war it was with loans and new machine tools from the west.

The owner of the bike shop I used to work at had kept a number of bikes, still in the crate. He had two Nortons, one Commando and one Interstate. He had a 500 Gold Star, not the original BSA Gold Star but the unit construction one. He had a couple of Triumphs in crates too. He had a number of as new but uncrated bikes like a Triumph Hurricane. This was the Craig Vetter designed T150 for the American market. He also had an AJS with a Indian Chief motor stuffed into the frame. It was a very nice looking conversion and it actually ran really well. He had a Velocette Venom that was impossible to start with that stubby kicker. He had a Greeves Griffon, the loudest bike I have ever heard. He had three factory type Triumph three cylinder road race fairings hanging from the ceiling in the parts room. There was all kinds of bikes and parts.

When his friend and partner died suddenly, he lost all heart and called a company that specialized in old bike parts to come and bit on everything. They hauled it away 6 semi trucks full and that was that.
You're probably right Jim, in the sense it couldn't have been helped, sadly. Your old boss had a good take on it too, I'm sure there is some truth there.
Also the British bike industry I think got complacent, Norton was doing really well at the IOM TT races and the British bike industry was at the top of it's game. Instead of putting more into R&D so that they could built more advanced and better motorcycles, in my opinion they took the attitude that British motorcycles were the best, so they didn't need to. IIRC Norton at the IOM TT more or less laughed when the Japanese turned up with their little 50cc and 125cc motorcycles.

One of the biggest break-through's for motorcycle engine designs from the Japanese has to be the horizontal split crankcases, that cured the oil leaks that the British bikes had with there vertical designs. The Japanese have built bikes with double overhead cams, liquid cooled (what we called water cooled) multi cylinders and shaft drive. None of those things were new, the British motorcycle industry were building bikes with all of those if you look back over history, it's just that the Japanese took these designs, put the investment into R&D to built them better.

Having grown up with British bikes still on the scene to a degree and owning quite a few different ones myself, it's interesting to hear about all the bikes one of your old employers had, they would be worth a small fortune now. Sad though to hear what happened causing him to lose all heart and end up getting rid of the lot.

Chris.
playerone

Post by playerone »

agentpineapple wrote: my bad, I was thinking of playerones bike actually........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
harsh Marty, harsh........ :cry:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

playerone wrote:
agentpineapple wrote: my bad, I was thinking of playerones bike actually........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
harsh Marty, harsh........ :cry:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry mate, it was a moment of weakness.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

sirch345 wrote:You're probably right Jim, in the sense it couldn't have been helped, sadly. Your old boss had a good take on it too, I'm sure there is some truth there.
Also the British bike industry I think got complacent, Norton was doing really well at the IOM TT races and the British bike industry was at the top of it's game. Instead of putting more into R&D so that they could built more advanced and better motorcycles, in my opinion they took the attitude that British motorcycles were the best, so they didn't need to. IIRC Norton at the IOM TT more or less laughed when the Japanese turned up with their little 50cc and 125cc motorcycles.

One of the biggest break-through's for motorcycle engine designs from the Japanese has to be the horizontal split crankcases, that cured the oil leaks that the British bikes had with there vertical designs. The Japanese have built bikes with double overhead cams, liquid cooled (what we called water cooled) multi cylinders and shaft drive. None of those things were new, the British motorcycle industry were building bikes with all of those if you look back over history, it's just that the Japanese took these designs, put the investment into R&D to built them better.

Having grown up with British bikes still on the scene to a degree and owning quite a few different ones myself, it's interesting to hear about all the bikes one of your old employers had, they would be worth a small fortune now. Sad though to hear what happened causing him to lose all heart and end up getting rid of the lot.

Chris.
I have loved all my British bikes but they were bikes built for a different age. The biggest thing the Japanese did was embrace quality. They also got their act together with their labor force too.

There were so many forces at work during that time. Some were external like national debt and decisions made by the government. Some were internal with squabbling management and labor. Some were institutional as you say "we build the best bikes in the world. Who can touch us?" Here in America we had a different set of problems. In the 50s and 60s we were rocking and rolling. At the end of the war most of the industrialized countries were smashed or just emerging. We sold stuff to everyone and we thought we were the greatest. As it turns out they bought from us because at the time we were the only game in town. It's pretty different now.

Norton did try with the Cosworth and BSA did try with the Bandit 350 but it was too little too late. In fact BSA built a horizontal cylinder 350 race bike (like a Guzzi Falcone) that ran well in trials but was canned by management. Harley would have gone belly up too if they hadn't petitioned Congress to impose a limited tariff on imported bikes over 750ccs. The Japanese started building fantastic 700cc bikes but, to Harley's credit, they did get their quality act together and they are now on pare with any bike in the world. Harley did something else that was masterful. They strengthened the brand. Harley has over 50% of the motorcycle market in the US (I know, hard to believe) and the strength of that brand.m They have made Harley Davidson synonymous with being an American. If you don't ride a Harley then you are not patriotic.

This is total pish. I can't stand this type of marketing. I will ride what I want. I have never owned a Harley. I have ridden them and they are lumbering, heavy and just not for me.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

what i hate is people buying these type of bikes and never using the fecking things :redface . there more than happy to blow there trumpet about what they own but they are bikes, bikes are made to be ridden ffs.. at least sell them to people who will use the things.. i know a guy and he has a serious collection of bikes and some amazing race bikes, will he use them or sell them? not a chance ffs.. i hope he chokes on them lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

fabiostar wrote:what i hate is people buying these type of bikes and never using the fecking things :redface . there more than happy to blow there trumpet about what they own but they are bikes, bikes are made to be ridden ffs.. at least sell them to people who will use the things.. i know a guy and he has a serious collection of bikes and some amazing race bikes, will he use them or sell them? not a chance ffs.. i hope he chokes on them lol
I had friends like that. In fact I am thinking of selling my Norton once then weather warms a bit. I do not ride it much. I use my VFR and my VTR now. The Norton is fun and gets lots of looks and generates lots of conversation but these days I want to ride more than I talk. It's time to let someone else enjoy it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
fabiostar wrote:what i hate is people buying these type of bikes and never using the fecking things :redface . there more than happy to blow there trumpet about what they own but they are bikes, bikes are made to be ridden ffs.. at least sell them to people who will use the things.. i know a guy and he has a serious collection of bikes and some amazing race bikes, will he use them or sell them? not a chance ffs.. i hope he chokes on them lol
I had friends like that. In fact I am thinking of selling my Norton once then weather warms a bit. I do not ride it much. I use my VFR and my VTR now. The Norton is fun and gets lots of looks and generates lots of conversation but these days I want to ride more than I talk. It's time to let someone else enjoy it.
but at least your riding bikes. some of the balloons i know never ride any bikes. just such a waste..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

fabiostar wrote:but at least your riding bikes. some of the balloons i know never ride any bikes. just such a waste..
I was at a bike show and there was an old Velocette sitting in the parking area. It was wearing modern tires. The black paint on the tank had been polished by knees and the gold pin striping was worn away. It was my favorite bike there not because it was more special but because the owner was riding it. It was correct, and cared for and enjoyed like all bikes should be. Over here many classic bikes have all but become museum pieces or play things of the very rich.