Faulty CCT pics if you have them...

General Biker Banter
mattycoops43

Re: Faulty CCT pics if you have them...

Post by mattycoops43 »

Bleh wrote:Well that was a busy few days...

Good to see plenty of posts providing food or thought... Some of the observations I have already witnessed, such as oil pouring from the rear CCT when loosening the bolt off at the back, and others I hadn't considered until just now like Sirch's observation where the two CCT's behave in an opposite manner, i.e. when accelerating, the front slackens off and the rear tightens up - also makes sense when you think about it as the crank rotates the same way always. With this in mind, the rear CCT presses against the rear of the cam chain and the front CCT presses against the front of the cam chain, but under load, it will always be the same side of the cam chain that is under tension due to the direction of crank rotation.

That leads on to a new branch of questions such as 'What's the tolerance for the allowable movement within the tensioner?'.

What else would be interesting to know is if anyone has set up a rig, such as a vice, where a CCT has been placed between the jaws, and then clamped tight with a torque wrench until some movement is witnessed in the CCT for an 'approximate' linear spring rate? I have 2 problems with trying to do this.... No vice and no torque wrench!

Also, I'm having a mare trying to get the actual torsional modulus for the spring used. Without knowing the exact material, it's a real pig trying to work out. And trying to establish all the forces from combustion transferred to relevant components, including frictional forces, bladdah bladdah bladdah, to eventually establish the 'ideal' spring rate is a whole lot of another type of work and not really time worthy for the type of assignment I'm currently doing.

I do have some spring formulas which I wanted to eventually incorporate and will eventually share, but they are more for the ideal linear function rather than it's torsional function - and it's this torsional function that may be a) the necessity and, b) the actual downfall of the CCT.

Does anyone have experience of a linear springed CCT that have either failed or work so much better than these?

Both cylinders have the tensioner to the rear of the cylinder, they both act identically.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

mattycoops43 wrote:Both cylinders have the tensioner to the rear of the cylinder, they both act identically.
HA, of course they are... Something I should know having changed a few sets in the past :oops:

What I meant to say was IF they were set up that way.... yeah, IF... :wtf: :Ball Kick:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

So... as previously promised, my attempt at having an input about the ACCT's. Hopefully the link will work without any problems and if you can't be bothered to read my not so glorious work, I'll make it brief for you - stopper mod... add a stopper mod to the original bung of the CCT (but you all knew that anyway!) :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gNdH ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You have been a busy boy, interesting to see what you've put together. Thanks for letting us have a look :thumbup:

Chris.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Hello, I'd like to look into buying a pair of Bazza ccts if that's OK, I'm new and can't seem to get hold of him directly.
Cheers John
ook
roasty_duck

Post by roasty_duck »

interested to see how many actually fail, im curious as to why honda didn't address this issue and recall them for it.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Bad flaw that, tho the back cct's don't seem to go as much might be lube is the problem.
Failsafe would have been to feature in a backstop to prevent tooth jump and valve crash.
Gives me the Willis, wish Bazza would contact me I want mine converted to manual ASAP
ook
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

redpig wrote:Hello, I'd like to look into buying a pair of Bazza ccts if that's OK, I'm new and can't seem to get hold of him directly.
Cheers John
Pmd you my email address for easier lines of communications.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Thanks, sent you an email
ook
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bleh wrote:So... as previously promised, my attempt at having an input about the ACCT's. Hopefully the link will work without any problems and if you can't be bothered to read my not so glorious work, I'll make it brief for you - stopper mod... add a stopper mod to the original bung of the CCT (but you all knew that anyway!) :D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0gNdH ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!
Wow just wanted to say a huge thank you Bleh, had a bit of a break from the forum myslef and sorry I missed out this thread. I haven't read your article yet by I promise I shall. Beautiful clean presentation I must say. References included too. Now that is what I call quality and I hope you got the credits you deserve :thumbup: One of my pet hates is that with modern day web design (yeh it's not web design but same principles apply) they don't reference where info comes from. This can cause what is known as perpetual errors, so always nice to see the references so one can back track, validify things and /or take their research further. :clap: :clap: :clap:
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

sirch345 wrote:Hi Bleh, Good to see you back again :thumbup: sorry you had to let your VTR go.

Photo's taken from this thread of mine 2013 8O
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28666

Chris.
are you a bt guy sirch?

looks like a "screwdriver, instrument ,number 1" that handle ? ?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lumpyv wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Hi Bleh, Good to see you back again :thumbup: sorry you had to let your VTR go.

Photo's taken from this thread of mine 2013 8O
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28666

Chris.
are you a bt guy sirch?

looks like a "screwdriver, instrument ,number 1" that handle ? ?
Whatever gave you that idea :lol:

Chris.
redpig

Post by redpig »

The VTR (which I no longer own and got ripped the crouton off with :Ball Kick: :Argue: :Cry1: :Cry2:

Polished them pipes (and wheels) by hand too! :Argue 1: :Argue 1:[/quote]

you got rid cos of the colour? I sympathise
ook