VTR Pheonix

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: VTR Pheonix

Post by Pete.L »

popkat wrote:MOT ok with no pillion pegs as long as it's single seat, for VTR just make sure the single seat cowl is fitted... If a bike is twin seat and no rear pegs then it fails..

Excellent, I didn't know that. Thanks Poppers :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Finished spraying front calipers last night. Still need to sand down the NISSIN and paint that white as suggested.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Picture would help lol

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Different [THUMBS UP SIGN]
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote:MOT ok with no pillion pegs as long as it's single seat, for VTR just make sure the single seat cowl is fitted... If a bike is twin seat and no rear pegs then it fails..

Unless the law has changed fairly recently, I guess it's down to the discretion of the mot tester, that's why I suggested VTR Phoenix checks with his mot station.
My mot tester wouldn't pass my Storm without the rear footrests fitted even though I had the seat cowl fitted. He said it was because the seat cowl could easily be removed,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote:

Unless the law has changed fairly recently, I guess it's down to the discretion of the mot tester, that's why I suggested VTR Phoenix checks with his mot station.
My mot tester wouldn't pass my Storm without the rear footrests fitted even though I had the seat cowl fitted. He said it was because the seat cowl could easily be removed,

Chris.

The MOT is valid at time of test only, if the bike is presented with no pillion seat then it's classed as single seat, you can even change it on the records to be single seat but that would just be a bit petty if you knew it was a cover. we deal with facts and discretion doesn't come into it really, if in doubt pass and advise. twin seat and no rear pegs is clear cut. a seat cover is obvious that as presented it is single seat. What happens to it after the test is of no concern to the tester but could be an issue if checked at the roadside by plod..
Your probably thinking exhaust pipes now with the comments I've just made. Exhaust should not be significantly louder than a similar model with an original exhaust. There is no hearing test for MOT testers though and most probably not a standard model in the test station to compare it to, therefore as long as it's not marked "not for road use" or obviously falling apart or has holes in it it will generally pass :wink:

If you have problems with your MOT tester Chris bring it up to me and I'll MOT it for you.

For anyone who is not sure you can always ask the tester before he/she goes ahead and tests it though.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote:If you have problems with your MOT tester Chris bring it up to me and I'll MOT it for you.
:lol: :thumbup: cheers Malc for the offer, although I'm not having any problems with my MOT tester yet :)
Thanks for the info on the subject you supplied as well,

Chris.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Finally received the titanium disc mount bolts so put them straight on

Also sanded and primed upper inner fairing panels and the seat cowl gratefully received from Mac

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Front calipers sprayed and lacquered. Tried doing the white NISSIN but it looked like crap (shaky hand) so had to strip and repaint.

Rear just drying.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

That's looking really good

I ground the Nissin logos of my CBR calipers and polished where they were.

Something different.

Can post a pic if you like? :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Orange !! Lol looks very different [THUMBS UP SIGN]
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Haven't been posting for a while as been working on a few bikes and the VTR. There was too much space on the left side of the swing arm where the footrest mounts so decided to take it off to see if the PO had fitted it incorrectly. Well that was the opening of a big can of worms. The bolt that goes through the underside of the swing arm that holds the shock pivot had no nut on it, took a few hefty whacks with a club hammer to get it out. Removed shock, shock pivot and swing arm. Shock was fine, pivot had the inner sway bar completely rusted in, got it out and it was that bad it was actually pitted with rust. The needle bearings had disintegrated and rusted solid, tried whacking, heating, spraying, drilling and could not get the old bearing cases out, took to a machine shop to try and get it re-bored but they wouldn't touch it. Ended up having to buy a decent second hand one. The swing arm had 2 different size spacers on the right hand side and when the PO had had the swing arm blasted and powder coated he hadn't bothered removing the seals or bearings. All contaminated with blast media and ruined (they did look new) but ruined. So I'm now best mates with David Silvers having just spent £135 on complete swing arm, shock pivot and engine pivot bearings, seals, a spacer for the left side (as one of the two already fitted had to be right) new sway bar for the shock pivot and new nut and bolt for the shock pivot mount. Not a very happy bunny as I thought I was on the home straight.

On a plus side I picked up some high mount carbon micron exhausts that also came with the hangers and sold the Art ones that were initially intended for the bike.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

on most bikes, suspension mounts and bearings get left, they seize, and actually effect so much. I have always stripped suspension and greased on almost every bike i have owned. I do this normally before the Brakes. Most people do the brakes, then the exhaust and leave the suspension. Thats why this happens to bikes like yours probably. It will make a massive difference once you have done it though.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Spent 70+ on swingarm bearings alone with David silvers too mate.

Thankfully shock linkage looked good.

Money well spent though I think and at least you know it's right
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Cheers guys, the thing that really got to me was the PO had taken the time having it all stripped, powder coated and put back together. He obviously intended to leave it 'as is' and finish the build and ride it. I should have known really to check the swingarm given the mess he made of the front end with double races top and bottom. As you say though I now know it's new, rust free, fitted correctly, greased properly and 100% good to go. Now to drill, tap and helicoil the front exhaust mount where he snapped bolts and screwed that up. I'll get pics up with the microns once fitted.