Head Bearings

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattie

Head Bearings

Post by tattie »

I will be fitting a set of steering head bearings over the next few weeks, I have the Haynes manual and have sort of read how to do it.
Are there any hints or tips that anybody would recommend for this task, other than getting someone else to do it :lol:

Cheers

A.M.
Common sense ain't all that common!
slimreaper

Post by slimreaper »

Hiya
My advice would be get someone else to remove the bearing race from the steering stem, and put the new one on. I took mine to my local dealer who charged £15 which I thought was O.K. because I could not budge the old one and got really paranoid about Knackering the stem.
Apart from that, the only things I found tricky were putting the new bottom race into the headstock. Took me a while to get it in square (ooer missus).
Oh, and make sure the bike is stable Obviously, as you don,t want it falling over.
Cheers
Andy
rehab is for quitters
RQ

Post by RQ »

Ah, it's not too bad a job. Just when removing the race from the head...... yes, you can bang harder! It'll take a good bit to move it.

When fitting the bearing on the stem use something that can give even pressure all round the bearing as it slips on the sleeve.

Get tapered bearings too, the haynes manual shows standard ball bearings, but get the tapered ones.

It might take up to 4 tightens before it completely seats (ie put it all together, go for a drive, undo the yoke and tighten the lock nuts more)

And finally.............. loads of grease!!

If you have never done it before, leave about three hours in total from laying the tools out to putting them back all nice and tidy! :wink:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Johnny Wishbone

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Check out the grease monkey!!

RQ's solution to everything - "Add more grease...!!"

Problem: Front cylinder mis-firing...
Fix: Add grease to spark plug

Problem: Back tire flat...
Fix: Inflate tyre with grease

Problem: Fuel starvation...
Fix: Replace fuel in tank with grease

Problem: Missus burns dinner...
Fix: Serve dinner with grease to disguise taste

Problem: Dog shits on carpet...
Fix: Scrub carpet throughly with a tub of grease

:lol:
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
tattie

Post by tattie »

RQ

3 hours do'nt sound too bad. I was thinking more around 3 nights, as soon as I start something somebody aye calls in and holds me back.

Cheers

A.M.

Johnny: will that be the molybdenum disulphide grease I will be needing?!!! :lol:
Common sense ain't all that common!
Johnny Wishbone

Greasers

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Tattie, my personal preference would be chip-pan grease, but if you want the bearings to stay in place then I suggest you use 'extra hold' grease. Something like Brillcream or Dax might do the job! :wink: :lol:
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
Max

Post by Max »

I have just changed mine this weekend as it failed its MOT on them. Its not a hard job. Taking apart the only tw@ is removing the bottom part of the lower bearing off the stem. I heated mine up a bit with a blow torch played on just the bearing piece and it came off real easy then. I did cheat by using my mates press to put the new bearing on as its easy to get on if its square to the stem. If your new bearing kit doesnt come with the dust seals, David silver sells them as you will probably shag the bottom one getting the bearing inner off.