Need advice on naked/flat tracker mod

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Triad

Need advice on naked/flat tracker mod

Post by Triad »

Hello! I have a very nice '97 VTR, 43k km, never had a single problem with it. Runs smooth, is fast and reliable. My only gripe is the weight and the fact that in tight bends/bad roads the riding position kills me and makes the bike pretty hard to drive. I love custom bikes and good looking mods but I'm not into mechanics enough to make a wonderful job, so my first thought was "Sell it and get something else".
I got a KTM Duke 2 supermoto (the third KTM for me). It handles perfectly, everything on it is just great but it's pretty slow, of course, if compared to the VTR (that has twice the ponies of the Duke).
The VTRs down here (Italy) aren't very sought after, peoples usually look for 4 inline. So I'm considering to modify it and keep it, maybe sell the Duke if the mod is successful.

This is what I was considering: LSL kit (or 2" high risers on the original top yoke), high bars, braided brake lines and everything needed for the high bars to work.
Then, remove the fairings and replace the huge tail with a flat-track unit (driver only). I'd keep the lights to a minimum (small headlight and maybe a led rearlight). I'd also remove the front mudguard and would probably add fork boots for a slightly retro look. I'd also change the gearing to make it short (200km/h are enough for me and would like shorter gears).
I know the side rads won't look great but... I'm just trying to find out if the mod is worth it or if I should simply stick with the bike as is and only ride it when I know the road is wide/long/decent enough.
For example, I like this:
How much could I get close to the Duke for the driving position and weight? The VTR should be something like 190kg as is, maybe a bit less. How much would I shave removing all the fairings and lights to use the smallest units available? Thanks in advance!
lloydie

Re: Need advice on naked/flat tracker mod

Post by lloydie »

You'll save a bit of weight with changing the standard exhausts but dont think you'll notice the rest .
Fitting a set of race wheels will make a difference .
But it'll cost more than the bike is worth .
Triad

Post by Triad »

I have E mark LeoVince. Not very nice looking and not loud at all!
Trying to decide what kind of mods I should perform: cut/save (using all the original parts I can) or buy/replace (buying for example an LSL kit for the high bars, avoiding original parts modifications).
Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello triad, I'm doing a similar project. Planning on making my own rear seat unit so I'll be interested to see what you do. Ive got a pair of the lsl bar mounts I'll be looking to sell if you're interested...

With the side rads, im planning on moving them up and covering them with a side panel kind of like a moto cross bike. Good luck with the project.
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Triad

Post by Triad »

Which one do you have (LSL)? The plate that fits over the yoke or the dual pieces that go around the forks? And why are you selling if you're doing something similar? :-D
Ant

Post by Ant »

I've got the ones that fit around the forks. I'm going to mod my top yoke and bolt on some bar clamps.
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Triad

Post by Triad »

I thought I modified the original post but no trace of the mod... anyway, I removed the front fairing/headlight etc.
This is how the bike looks at the moment. The LSL kit you have costs €145 right now on ebay, the good thing is it fits right on and doesn't even require the top yoke removal :beer: