desperate need help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dkt1376

desperate need help

Post by dkt1376 »

i did a oil and filter change on my bike today no problem, but on the way home i started to here a funny tapping noise, when i pulled up at home and took my lid off the rear cylinder sounds like a bag of bolts, rattleing alot will this be from the cct, the bike has done arround 26000 miles and i have no record of the cct ever being done, any help would be apreciated,
im going to thruxton sunday and i dont want to have to take my slow ass 600 bandit.
a landrover d2 and a ktm, i had to have a honda to restore relability in my life.
mecon

Desparate

Post by mecon »

dk1376,

Hmm, IMHO it sounds a lot like it.

It might be a idea to pull the cam covers (on both) to see if there is (say) a broken shim under a bucket and also check that the cam timing hasnt slipped. (Although if its running it means it hasnt as a jumped tooth is usually followed by 'klunk').

I would be leary of riding it till I found the cause as any further damage is likely to be v. expensive.

See also thread 'cct' in this forum.

HTH
--
mecon

(finks - icon, mycon, mecon - woohoo)
RQ

Post by RQ »

It its tapping, then it's not likely that the CCT is gone, but it could be going. If it's gone, there will be a cam chain thrashing about inside that casing and you'll know all about it.
Get something like a wooden rod to hold up against the CCT casing front or rear and put the other end in your ear to locate which one is gone.
It is more than unlikely that the oil change has anything to do with it, just an unfortunate coincidence.
Try the front one first, most failures are fronts.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !