Nearly kicked it off it's side stand yesterday

General Biker Banter
freeridenick

Nearly kicked it off it's side stand yesterday

Post by freeridenick »

If it had a pair I'd have given it a :Ball Kick: too.

Failed miserably to bleed the front brakes and clutch. Fluid flowing, no bubbles, no lever pressure. At least the back brake bleed up.

Bike has no power - tried to start it and it went pop, not even dash lights. No fuses blown so if it's not some sort of short in the ignition barrel I'm stumped.

After market exhaust won't line up right and look like they'll foul on the swingarm. Not so bothered about this as it's probably just me rushing and getting frustrated.

Following weeks of fecking about with calipers that were incorrectly put together and constantly having to buy parts this lot was the final straw :x :x .

Should have bought a runner.
vtwin goody

Re: Nearly kicked it off it's side stand yesterday

Post by vtwin goody »

as far as the exhaust is concerned is it down pipes and cans,i bought some aftermarket downpipes a few yrs back and they were slightly out to the originals,spacers were made so everything lined up and they still on the bike now (lots of head scratching and hammer throwing before this was figured out tho) good luck with the rest of it mate
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I bought some exhausts for a Firestorm once they did not fit, I finally cut down the hangers that came with it to get them to fit in the end.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

vtwin goody wrote:as far as the exhaust is concerned is it down pipes and cans,i bought some aftermarket downpipes a few yrs back and they were slightly out to the originals,spacers were made so everything lined up and they still on the bike now (lots of head scratching and hammer throwing before this was figured out tho) good luck with the rest of it mate
Just link pipes and cans - PowerTech. Hoping it's just a case of loosening everything off again and rotating and nudging.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It will be the left one. Loosen the downpipe bracket that comes out of the cylinder by the swingarm and it may need shifting up or down slightly. What are you using to bleed the brakes? Have you got a colostomy bag with one way valve.
==============================Enter the Darkside
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

cybercarl wrote:It will be the left one. Loosen the downpipe bracket that comes out of the cylinder by the swingarm and it may need shifting up or down slightly. What are you using to bleed the brakes? Have you got a colostomy bag with one way valve.
Initially just a jar, pipe and pumping the lever. Then used a syringe I've got for bleeding the MTB brakes to both force fluid in through the bleed valve. Also tried to suck it through. Even taped up the bleed valve threads with PTFE tape as per the manual. Which worked on the back but not the front.

Front lines are braided split straight from the master cylinder. I'm starting to wonder if I've got a seal the wrong way round in the MC.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Did you put the Viton seals (small o rings) between the caliper halves when you bolted them back together, or have you put them in properly...

Bleeding clutch can be a pain.. long tube from nipple into a bottle held up around level of the master cylinder, open nipple and pump through til no air, the reservoir will empty fast so have fluid ready. once no air then pump lever, hold in then open and close nipple, repeat until good feeling clutch... Also use same method for brakes.

Starting issue, check lead at starter motor, also check earth lead to battery (and live while your there)

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just walk away from it and start another day. i tried everything to get my fronts to bleed and nothing worked..

came out the next day, started from scratch and they bled up in minutes :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

fabiostar wrote:just walk away from it and start another day. i tried everything to get my fronts to bleed and nothing worked..

came out the next day, started from scratch and they bled up in minutes :thumbup:
:lol: Hope that works for me. Got my daughter over with me for the next two weeks so won't be doing anything until the end of July. Hopefully with a calm head.
Last edited by freeridenick on Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

popkat wrote:Did you put the Viton seals (small o rings) between the caliper halves when you bolted them back together, or have you put them in properly...
Pretty sure I put them in properly. If nothing else works I'll start from scratch and split the calipers again.
popkat wrote: Bleeding clutch can be a pain.. long tube from nipple into a bottle held up around level of the master cylinder, open nipple and pump through til no air, the reservoir will empty fast so have fluid ready. once no air then pump lever, hold in then open and close nipple, repeat until good feeling clutch... Also use same method for brakes.
Will try that, thanks.
popkat wrote: Starting issue, check lead at starter motor, also check earth lead to battery (and live while your there).
Replaced the starter a couple of weeks back as the terminal was rusted and I'd got a spare. That's clean, as is the earth connection to the rear cylinder and the connections at the battery. Will double check the cables aren't exposed anywhere along their lengths but I've not spotted an issue before. There was an audible click/pop when I hit the starter button so something's blown.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

There was an audible click/pop when I hit the starter button so something's blown.
Is the battery charged up as the clicking will occur as as the starter relay clicks in but there's not enough voltage getting through to turn the starter.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Re starter, if you've blown the main cable fuse it's located beside the relay, not in the fuse box.
When you rebuilt the starter did you meter it to make sure that the lead is insulated from the casing?
Re brakes, I had something similar a few weeks ago, turned out to be the mc.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Wicky wrote:
There was an audible click/pop when I hit the starter button so something's blown.
Is the battery charged up as the clicking will occur as as the starter relay clicks in but there's not enough voltage getting through to turn the starter.
Battery is fine, or should be. It spends most of its time on an Optimate. Before the click there was power.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

tony.mon wrote:Re starter, if you've blown the main cable fuse it's located beside the relay, not in the fuse box.
When you rebuilt the starter did you meter it to make sure that the lead is insulated from the casing?
Re brakes, I had something similar a few weeks ago, turned out to be the mc.....
Main fuse is OK. Not sure what you mean by 'meter it' but iirc there were two washers that looked like insulation on the starter terminal. I did give everything a dose of contact cleaner though.

Cheers for the brake info.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Nick, my fronts on the Storm would not bleed for sh1t, til I got hold of a banjo with a bleed nipple for the MC, worth the money/aggro:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!