VTR dying

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
NY4600

VTR dying

Post by NY4600 »

Went for a test ride after two years of storage 'cause of a crash in 2014. Installed new spark plugs, oil and filter and it fires, but when it pass 2000rpm the engine stops. I can force it further sometimes, but the critical point is around 2000rpm. When I drive it cheats before it gets speed at around 4000. Fuel filter? Carbs? Any suggestions? :roll:
tony.mon

Re: VTR dying

Post by tony.mon »

Sounds like the main jets or pilot jets are blocked.
Take the carbs apart and clean thoroughly, and see if it improves.
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

tony.mon wrote:Sounds like the main jets or pilot jets ate blocked.
Thanx a lot :D
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

tony.mon wrote:Sounds like the main jets or pilot jets are blocked.
What about the petcock? Is it on or off or should it be adjusted to a special setting?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

After sitting around for two years the fuel system will be a bit gummed up. Carbs off, float bowls off remove the jets and give them a good blast through and all orifices you can get to including the ones inside the carb throat walls. If you feeling adventurous then you can also remove the fuel mixture screws (count the turns out) along with the little spring, washer and rubber O ring and blast through there also. You will probably find the rubber O ring will stick inside the hole and will require picking out.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... al#p223894

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25177

As for the petcock there is nothing to adjust there but make sure it is switched on and the vaccum pipe is in the right place on the side towards the rear not the bottom.
==============================Enter the Darkside
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

cybercarl wrote:After sitting around for two years the fuel system will be a bit gummed up. Carbs off, float bowls off remove the jets and give them a good blast through and all orifices you can get to including the ones inside the carb throat walls. If you feeling adventurous then you can also remove the fuel mixture screws (count the turns out) along with the little spring, washer and rubber O ring and blast through there also. You will probably find the rubber O ring will stick inside the hole and will require picking out.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... al#p223894

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25177

As for the petcock there is nothing to adjust there but make sure it is switched on and the vaccum pipe is in the right place on the side towards the rear not the bottom.
I think I love you Carl :biggrin Thanx for the thorough answer. Time to work :thumbup:
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

Now the cheating is gone, but what's up with the poof and blow in exhaust?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A cheating poof is a common trait :lol: :lol:

By poof I'm guessing your getting a carb fart right. A bit of blow back through the carb back up into the airbox. Exhaust blows will be down to not sealing correctly.
==============================Enter the Darkside
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

cybercarl wrote:A cheating poof is a common trait :lol: :lol:

By poof I'm guessing your getting a carb fart right. A bit of blow back through the carb back up into the airbox. Exhaust blows will be down to not sealing correctly.
Haha :lol:
My English is not that good, sorry, but it backfires in the exhaust, espesially when I go to a lower gear. Heard about one changing to stick coil.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If its popping and banging on deceleration then check all exhaust joins. There will be an air leak somewhere, you might also here ticking when on idle which could also suggest this.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If its popping and banging on deceleration then check all exhaust joins. There will be an air leak somewhere, you might also here ticking when on idle which could also suggest this.
Okey, I've sandblasted the whole exhaust so maybe I should try with som sealant in the connections then...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Have you used new copper crush gaskets on the mainifolds and replaced the graphite seals between the header and link pipes?

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

Recommend Mikalor W4 fully stainless steel clamps to hold it all together.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

Wicky wrote:Have you used new copper crush gaskets on the mainifolds and replaced the graphite seals between the header and link pipes?

http://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces- ... STORM.html

Recommend Mikalor W4 fully stainless steel clamps to hold it all together.
Thanx! No, I have not put in new gaskets and seals, so hopefully that will help :wink: Now I'm deaf :wtf:
NY4600

Post by NY4600 »

Hmmm... I found one of the plastic nuts for the choke cable attached to the carb is nissing the threads and was fixed with tape and steel thread. I have ordered new ones, after a quick search on the forum. But If it sucks air through here, what happens? Guess it can't be 100% tight with that redneck-fix :?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

NY4600 wrote:Hmmm... I found one of the plastic nuts for the choke cable attached to the carb is nissing the threads and was fixed with tape and steel thread. I have ordered new ones, after a quick search on the forum. But If it sucks air through here, what happens? Guess it can't be 100% tight with that redneck-fix :?
It'd run like rubbish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110823076103? ... EBIDX%3AIT
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts