It's that time again.....

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
agentpineapple

Re: It's that time again.....

Post by agentpineapple »

exhaust looks good so far mate, you used the same as me, acid and scotchbrite pads, works a treat, tbh i like that brushed steel look, the super shiny polished look doesn't seem to last any longer.
keep going mate, i hope you get your enthusiasm back asap... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Ah well... you can scrap most of what I said in the original post... except the slow progress bit. Been up and down with health problems so haven't touched the bike over the winter and now... well summer is getting close so don't really have enough time to do what I wanted to the bike.

Never mind, new plan in place. Still considering pulling the lump out for painting and getting the frame, rear subframe and swing arm coated in some fashion (black) Won't be painting the bike...at least not until next winter so she will stay in the original paint which is matt gunpowder black. No idea on wheel colour yet.. Currently bike is sitting on my orange wheels from my last bike but I do have a set of 6 spokes which are in need of freshening up.

What I currently have...
Pyramid lowers
Pyramid hugger unless I go for a braced S/A
Powerbronze screen
Armstrong discs all round and front cbr600 master/calipers(although looking to swap the front master)
Scorpion cans (black,race)
SS Braided lines all round
Undertray
Harris rear sets
6 spoke wheels

Want...
Braced swing arm.. have everything needed, just got to get it knocked up.
Keeping my eye open for a decent rear shock.
Looking to change or fashion new rear footrests so I can lift the cans up a bit.. kinda sp1 style.
As i'm doing away with shiny bits and going for a more stealth look.. looking to get rear foot rests, petrol cap, rearsets, brake/gear pedals etc all anodised in black.

Will finally be digging the bike out over the next couple days... will keep you posted :biggrin
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

And were off... couple hours stripping this evening after taking my red storm out to stretch her legs... Haven't been at all bothered about not riding so far this year but was quite upset when I got back home and the realisation set in that as from tomorrow I may not have a bike on the road at all...
Left the water and oil draining.. all being well the engine will be on the bench tomorrow :mrgreen:

Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

So, 3 days late but got there in the end... except for putting it on the bench bit.. will worry about that in the morning, too tired to be carting lumps around tonight. Gonna have to get thinking now... need to make my mind up asap on what i'm doing with the frame coating wise and what colour I will be painting the engine and so on. Will use the weekend to look at everything besides the engine and frame.. cleaning weekend if you like... either clean and put away ready for refitting or put to one side for refurb.
Attachments
DSC_1496.JPG
DSC_1496.JPG (476.88 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
DSC_1495.JPG
DSC_1495.JPG (528.73 KiB) Viewed 4620 times
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

its a wild sight when you see your bike like that but the good bit has to come yet :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

fabiostar wrote:its a wild sight when you see your bike like that but the good bit has to come yet :thumbup:
You are not wrong.... stripping bikes or cars never meant anything to me... it's was always everything after that, especially as it comes back together and takes shape... can't wait but time or lack of is always a problem lately. The engine is still sat on the block of wood as in the photo :whatever

On a plus side... I now have some lovely high level titanium scorpion exhausts which sound really, really nice. I didn't think I would ever swap out my current race scorpions but these new cans.... certainly tempted.

And....... One complete front end, all mint from a 2003 R1

Oh.. and a Brembo rear master cylinder... if it will fit :P
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good work Shaun :thumbup:

It'll all be worth it I'm sure,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good work that man...be interesting to see how the R1 front end swap goes.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

fabiostar wrote:good work that man...be interesting to see how the R1 front end swap goes.
It looks pretty straight forward.. bottom bearing the same as the storm, just need a custom bearing for the top and have found one to do the job... all being well I will have it tomorrow and can do some proper test fitting. Only thing I have to work out... If I stay with the yamaha yokes then I have to work out either fitting the honda locking barrel or rewiring the yamaha barrel to do the job also have to fit the hiss module to the yoke somehow... I could go with 954/929 yokes.. forks fit and solves issues fitting locking barrel but the honda yokes are wider so then i'm into finding or having made wider wheel spacers. The last option.. which i'm tempted to go with is to cut the area that the locking barrel bolts too on the honda yoke off and getting it welded to the yamaha yoke... Don't have to cut anything off the yamaha yoke that will effect it's strength.. would just mean sitting down for a while at a bench afterwards with files and dremel at hand so to clean and smooth the welds up before powder coating.... all sounds rather crude but it is doable as long as the welding process doesn't effect the strength of the yoke.

As for any progress.. not a lot but at least a few steps in the right direction...

One donor blade swing arm before and after I butcher it :mrgreen:

Brace and replacement swingarm all cleaned up ready to go to the welders...

I say replacement because the arm I took off the bike looked like this.......... 8O

One cleaned and scrubbed up frame ready for powder coating.....

The front end that i'm hoping to end up with..........

And last but least... for now anyway, the test bunny.. set up ready to trial fit the front end to save me playing around with what is my nice clean frame and all being well soon to be freshly coated frame.

I will use this to mock fit everything up before parts go for powder coating... only other trouble I may have is at first glance I don't think i'm getting full steering lock on the R1 front end.. the bump stops (for lack of a better word) are in different places between the two bikes so I may have to modify somehow either the stops which are on the lower R1 yoke or the lower lug on the front of the frame that the bottom bolt which holds the headlamp bracket on goes through... will know better once I have the top bearing and can bolt up properly.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The R1 forks look the dog's nuts :thumbup:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Bit of progress... swingarm/brace is at the fabricators... also has a chat to them about modifying my top yoke as I had mentioned previously... no problem, I have to just do the cutting and shaping and they will do the rest.

Had the new bearings for the top of the steering through the post this morning so fitted them properly to the test bunny to see how everything fits up... few issues, not that I was expecting anything less. Had to remove the small triangular infill panels that the indicators normally bolt to to be able to get full steering lock... will need to do a bit of reshaping but should be able to refit them later on. Have full lock without the bars fouling the tank.. fluid pots both clear the fairing, rads will have to be moved back a touch but was expecting that. Now have to try and get clearance around the top fairing/clocks area... both master cyls are hitting the clocks on full lock but I think that's because the bars are lower than what the standard storms bars would be... if I can find suitable replacement clips approx 1" higher then I think that will solve my problem.. also the levers are hitting the flat part of the fairings where they go up towards the mirror.. again hoping on suitable adjustable bars to take care of that too.... the trick now being to find said bars at a reasonable price lol

All in all happy with how things have panned out so far. As the test bunnies frame is black it gives me an idea of hows the bike will look once I have my frame done seeing as that going into satin black and to be honest I quite like it... Originally was thinking of going all black although it would be different shades here and there but recently came across a cbr600 in a lovely bright red which had black frame s/a etc and really fell for the idea of having my storm the same.. now, not so sure. Not that it matters right now, won't be thinking about paintwork until winter time. Oh.. ignore the gold bits.. except for the top of the forks all gold bits will be coming off!!
Attachments
DSC_1609a.jpg
DSC_1609a.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 4508 times
DSC_1610a.jpg
DSC_1610a.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 4508 times
DSC_1616a.jpg
DSC_1616a.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 4508 times
DSC_1618.JPG
DSC_1618.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 4508 times
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Bit more progress.. Had a phone call early yesterday to say my swing arm was ready less than 24hrs after I dropped it off for welding... wasn't expecting that so was well happy. Other than pick that up the most I did yesterday was stand and stare at the bike trying to find inspiration where needed to try and solve a few problems I have... have managed to adjust the clip ons so I now have clearance in all directions although they are pretty low which could cause a problem when turning ie jamming my hands against the fairing. Had previously mentioned getting clip ons with a inch rise... doh! that's what I already have but maybe if I can find another set with a different rake on them.. get a bit more clearance under the bar when on lock.

Need to find or fashion some longer throttle cables because of them routing around the wider yokes.
Put the swing arm and enough other bits on today so I can roll bike about plus sit on and get the feel of it.. see what's different etc. Front end of bike is same height as standard although the clips themselves do feel a bit low compared to the standard storm set up.. not sure how well my back will take to that.. that said I still have to find a way to raise them slightly anyway because of them being close to the fairing so if I can find the right replacements then it may all work out ok.

Fitted the swing arm and rear sets.. then as an after thought I fitted one side of the rear exhausts.. wasn't until lining the fixing point up on the link pipe that I realised I have a bent right side rear set. It's not a lot but it's enough that I can't line the exhaust up properly(link pipe hitting swing arm) gonna have to have a think about ways to try and straighten it.. either that or i'll drop it up to the place that welded my swing arm up and see what they can do.

I was originally hoping to run 6 spokes but that went out of the window once I decided to go with the R1 front end... however, It may be back on. Took the trouble to do some measuring up and basically discs, calipers etc are all good and line up lovely. Issues I have... R1 runs a 22mm spindle where the storms is 20mm.. hoping I can find bearings with a suitable inside diameter to do the job.. if I can then it's just 2 custom spacers and the wheel is in.

I have low level black Scorpions that I was going to run with but since trying these on... really don't know now.. quite torn between the two.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're making good progress there Shaun :clap:
The swingarm looks good with the brace :thumbup:

I like the high level Scorpions, but I would as that's what I have on mine :wink: :)

Chris.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Would look so much better if it was a real mudgard.!!!!

Looking very nice indeed.
Is the angle at the front much steeper now? Or just looks like that in the photo?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Thanks for the comments :)
sirch345 wrote: I like the high level Scorpions, but I would as that's what I have on mine :wink: :)

Chris.
I am quite tempted to stay with the high levels.. the more I look at them on the bike the more I like them plus my other Scorpions.. they are black.. black exhaust with black fame, wheel, s/arm etc it may be a bit much. The high levels may well give a nice and needed break up to the colours.
grumpyfrog wrote:
Is the angle at the front much steeper now? Or just looks like that in the photo?
It is steeper at the front but photo makes it look worse than it is... tbh I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out. Got the bike out and stood upright so I could do some measuring but never thought to check the wheel base. With a quick bit of measuring I would guess the front wheel is about 1.5 - 2 inches back compared to standard which on realising started to concern me (no expert on changing front ends so wouldn't know if changes like this would make for any problems) but.. I just had a look at photos of my mates bike that I did a fireblade front end conversion on last year.. his looks basically the same so that is encouraging because I rode his bike when I was finished with it and it all felt nice, he has always liked the bike since the swap was done so hopefully there will be no adverse effects with my set up.

Hoping to get a carbon fibre mudguard, not sure if it will be the same design or if I can find something a tad more substantial.. will depend on money, things a tad tight at mo.. at least as far as the bike goes. Only had a little play around with bike yesterday and pretty much sure I need some decent adjustable clips on. I have found a set that will do the job but the idea of spending £200 on them doesn't sit to well with me.. maybe i'm just tight :lol: Bar choices right now are between Apex and the only other similar set up I have found so far Danmoto. Both adjust in every direction possible meaning that not only can I alter the height but the post that acts as the rise.. I can turn that to the outside of the fork which will bring my bars back giving more clearance at the front. Decisions decisions :think: